• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Called on open carry

radwood

imported post

This isn't really an exciting story, but I found it kind of amusing. I thought I'd share it with my fellow Arizonans, and see what you all think.

I've been open carrying for a while, and today I was walking dow the street from my house to my friends house just three doors down, and his neighbor stops me. So the neighbor, who I shall name Bill for simplicity asks me why I have "that thing." I simply respond with "for protection" to which he enters into some tirade about how he finds it OFFENSIVE, and how I don't need it, and he is very upset about me just walking around with it.

He then continues to ask me if I have a permit, to which I respond that Arizona is an open carry state and I don't need a permit to carry my handgun. He follows up saying that he understands it's in the constitution, but we're "not like mexico, can trust people around here." I just tell him that he's entitled to his opinion, and we part ways with him saying that "if [he] ever see it out of the holster [he'd] call the police!" (I wanted to say that would probably be the right course of action after a self-defense shooting, but I resisted).

Now, first of all, me carrying a gun is offensive? Wtf? Second, we're not like mexico? Where did that come from? Finally, I live in Chandler in the area that was locked down THIS VERY MORNING because the Chandler rapist was literally no more than a few blocks away. Yep, sure can trust everyone and feel safe.

I would've tried to change his mind, but it was made up (in fact, it seemed like he was baiting me the whole time).

mzbk2l

imported post

What a nut case. You must live near my brother; he said he had to go through the blockade to get out of his neighborhood to get to work.

Send me a pm with the neighbor's location if you want - I'll make sure I take a stroll through the neighborhood next time I'm at my brother's house. :)

casullshooter

imported post

Welcome to the "United States of the Offended" where people think that the stating of the fact that they are "Offended" can stop you from exercising your RIGHTS.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

radwood wrote:
This isn't really an exciting story, but I found it kind of amusing. I thought I'd share it with my fellow Arizonans, and see what you all think.

I've been open carrying for a while, and today I was walking dow the street from my house to my friends house just three doors down, and his neighbor stops me. So the neighbor, who I shall name Bill for simplicity asks me why I have "that thing." I simply respond with "for protection" to which he enters into some tirade about how he finds it OFFENSIVE, and how I don't need it, and he is very upset about me just walking around with it.

He then continues to ask me if I have a permit, to which I respond that Arizona is an open carry state and I don't need a permit to carry my handgun. He follows up saying that he understands it's in the constitution, but we're "not like mexico, can trust people around here." I just tell him that he's entitled to his opinion, and we part ways with him saying that "if [he] ever see it out of the holster [he'd] call the police!" (I wanted to say that would probably be the right course of action after a self-defense shooting, but I resisted).

Now, first of all, me carrying a gun is offensive? Wtf? Second, we're not like mexico? Where did that come from? Finally, I live in Chandler in the area that was locked down THIS VERY MORNING because the Chandler rapist was literally no more than a few blocks away. Yep, sure can trust everyone and feel safe.

I would've tried to change his mind, but it was made up (in fact, it seemed like he was baiting me the whole time).

Well, from your side of the encounter description, you did OK. Good job.

I'd suggest giving it a couple of days, then walking over (while not OCing) the next time you see him and chat him up. Maybe tell him you were thinking about what he said and that, although you two guys were gonna disagree, it's still your intention to be a good neighbor and that you don't really want to upset him unduly.

Maybe apologize and say something like, "Hey, neighbor, I'm reallysorry if it ticks you off, but I'm legal and I gotta protect myself and my family. I just want to make sure I do not miss an opportunityto communicate as afriendly neighborwith you if I possibly can. We may not agree but we can still be good neighbors."Then shake his hand.

Take the high road.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

The term sheeple comes to mind. He probably was just spouting out what he's been lead to believe is the truth. You handled it well though. It's always wise to be polite and kind to people when they attack you (verbally) for carrying. As Hank said, take the high road.

Marco

imported post

HankT wrote:
Good job.

I'd suggest walking over (while not OCing) and chat him up.
Maybe apologize and say something like, "Hey, neighbor, I'm reallysorry if it ticks you off, but I'm legal. I just want to make sure I do not miss an opportunityto communicate as afriendly neighbor. We may not agree but we can still be good neighbors."Then shake his hand.

Take the high road.

:pnot bad, except apologizing and not Ocing (especially saying "SORRY") Radwood did nothing to be SORRY for.
His neighbor should apologize to him for trying to take him to task for exercising his rights.

They can find a happy medium without Radwood having to apologize or hide his firearm.:banghead:

EDIT:
I expect more from you.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
HankT wrote:
Good job.

I'd suggest walking over (while not OCing) and chat him up.
Maybe apologize and say something like, "Hey, neighbor, I'm reallysorry if it ticks you off, but I'm legal. I just want to make sure I do not miss an opportunityto communicate as afriendly neighbor. We may not agree but we can still be good neighbors."Then shake his hand.

Take the high road.

They can find a happy medium without Radwood having to apologize or hide his firearm.:banghead:

I doubt it. I rather doubt it.

radwood's got a combatant as a neighbor right now. Obviously, something to avoid if one is being rational about things...

Marco

imported post

HankT wrote: SNIPS

I'd suggest walking over and chat him up.
Maybe apologize "Hey, neighbor, I'm reallysorry if it ticks you off.
I do not miss an opportunityto communicate as afriendly neighbor.
We may not agree but we can still be good neighbors.
Then shake his hand.

radwood's got a combatant as a neighbor right now. Obviously, something to avoid if one is being rational about things...

your contradicting yourself

Radwood:
JMHO
I'd call and file a complaint, let LE know that your neighbor harassed you regarding you choosing to express your rights.

If you don't want or feel comfortable doing that carry a VC or CC with you encase there is another unpleasant encounter.

However document this encounter in writing like youhave done and mail it to yourself. Don't open the envelope when it arrives, securethe envelope in a safe place for future use if a complaint has to be filed.

If you decide to try and talk with your neighbor have it recorded for your protection.
I'd wait a few days before approaching him.

My brother and his family live close to Chandler, his BF lives in Chandler and owns a cleaning company.

protector84

imported post

I agree that it isn't any of the neighbor's business. I live in Arizona myself and as I said on another post recently, I am getting tired of this Arizona "culture" where it seems to be an unwritten rule for people be they neighbors, strangers, whoever to constantly get in your business. Naturally you want to enjoy your neighborhood and building good rapport with neighbors is an excellent way to do that. I do not open carry in my apartment complex. I carry "semi-concealed" where it is still in a holster but the shirt over it. An average Joe won't notice it but someone who is observant will see that something shaped like a gun is under my shirt. The reason I do this is because A) it is not any of my neighbors' business that I am a firearms owner and B) same as A. I open carry in public because it is tactical and gives me the opportunity to educate someone. It is tactical because it is allows for quick draw.

Without going on too much, the basic point is that my home is not public and my personal valuables aren't to be known to anyone except whom I want them to be known to. I don't open carry gold and diamonds around my house nor do I open carry my $600 Glock 19. There is no one to educate here and the gun is still easy enough to pull should there be the small chance that someone attacks me between the car and the home. So I personally would not recommend open carrying around your home unless you don't mind the entire neighborhood knowing that your house contains one or more valuables.

protector84

imported post

Yes, sad to say this has become the United States of the Offended. People have nothing better to do than to get in your space, in your business, and then get offended by it, and try to stop you from doing whatever it is that you are doing. I've had the cops called on me more than once simply for going for a jog at night. Apparently, an unknown man in the neighborhood scared someone. I've been asked not to open carry in certain businesses because "it offends some of our customers." You can't do anything anymore because someone gets offended. Yet the people who are truly inappropriate and obnoxious are considered the normal ones who are respected and protected. Like the nosey old lady who stares out her window for hours and insists to the cops that the groceries you are carrying in the house actually is marijuana.

Chances are the same neighbor who is offended by you going about your business with your handgun won't understand your complaints about say his stupid dog barking all night long waking everyone up or him idling his stupid pickup truck for 15 minutes in the morning polluting the air. This society is seriously messed up. There is almost no normalcy anymore. If you are not an idiot sheep meandering about aimlessly with TV eyes and a TV brain, then they think you are the crazy or disturbed one.

KBCraig

imported post

protector84 wrote:
I live in Arizona myself and as I said on another post recently, I am getting tired of this Arizona "culture" where it seems to be an unwritten rule for people be they neighbors, strangers, whoever to constantly get in your business.
I'm not in AZ (never even set foot there, to be honest), so take this for what it's worth.... I suspect that if AZ is seeing an increase in that attitude, it's due to its popularity as a retirement state.

Retired + moderately wealthy + needing something to do = zoning, gated communities, HOAs dictating the color of your shutters, etc. Meddlesome busybodies who are offended at anyone who isn't exactly like them.

lostone1413

imported post

mzbk2l wrote:
What a nut case. You must live near my brother; he said he had to go through the blockade to get out of his neighborhood to get to work.

Send me a pm with the neighbor's location if you want - I'll make sure I take a stroll through the neighborhood next time I'm at my brother's house. :)
Bet he is a transplant from CA or out East. I see allot ofthem nust moving in. The illegals are less of a threat they the ones moving into Arizona are

lostone1413

imported post

wanted to quote radwood. Sorry wrong quote. Far as talking to that guy i'd say F him

protector84

imported post

mzbk2l wrote:
I wasn't going to talk... just stroll through the neighborhood with my .44 on my hip. :)

I have a better idea. Since the neighbor has a problem with him carrying a handgun, then next time don't carry a handgun. Instead, carry a shotgun. Then put the shotgun away and carry an assault rifle. If all else fails, roll out a bazooka. Just kidding. It would be funny to see his reaction if say he saw someone walking down the street open carrying a shotgun or military-style rifle. Here in Arizona, you can even open carry long guns. 20 men could legally walk down his street carrying shotguns. People seriously need to grow up and stop confusing the reality of life with the so-called "reality" they digest on TV. I will not allow scared and stupid citizens to tell me what to do when I am not doing anything illegal to begin with. The only reason I don't open carry close to my apartment is because I treat the gun similar to how I would treat other valuables. I don't want to flash expensive items to potential criminals. Far away from home is a different story. While I have never open carried long guns, if I had to get involved in a serious situation (i.e. rescuing a stranded female friend in ghetto neighborhood surrounded by crackheads), I wouldn't have a problem walking around with my Mossberg until the situation was finished. No sane individual would try to start something with a man carrying a shotgun. :)

protector84

imported post

An example of the value of open carry:

Man chases battered wife down the stairs and towardyour apartment unit with a baseball bat:

Ten 3"00 buckshot shotgun shells: $10

One 12-gauge 18.5" Mossberg 500 shotgun: $250

The look on the wife-beater's face: Priceless

:)

lostone1413

imported post

protector84 wrote:
mzbk2l wrote:
I wasn't going to talk... just stroll through the neighborhood with my .44 on my hip. :)

I have a better idea. Since the neighbor has a problem with him carrying a handgun, then next time don't carry a handgun. Instead, carry a shotgun. Then put the shotgun away and carry an assault rifle. If all else fails, roll out a bazooka. Just kidding. It would be funny to see his reaction if say he saw someone walking down the street open carrying a shotgun or military-style rifle. Here in Arizona, you can even open carry long guns. 20 men could legally walk down his street carrying shotguns. People seriously need to grow up and stop confusing the reality of life with the so-called "reality" they digest on TV. I will not allow scared and stupid citizens to tell me what to do when I am not doing anything illegal to begin with. The only reason I don't open carry close to my apartment is because I treat the gun similar to how I would treat other valuables. I don't want to flash expensive items to potential criminals. Far away from home is a different story. While I have never open carried long guns, if I had to get involved in a serious situation (i.e. rescuing a stranded female friend in ghetto neighborhood surrounded by crackheads), I wouldn't have a problem walking around with my Mossberg until the situation was finished. No sane individual would try to start something with a man carrying a shotgun. :)

I'd vote he walks down the street with an AK47 It would be legal here in AZ. That is until we get more CA nuts wanting to change the way of life we have

molonlabetn

imported post

Simple response:

"Sir, I respect your entitlement to a unique opinion, but noone has a right to never be offended... would you care to go to the range with me sometime, and let me help allay some of your fears regardingthe right I am exercising,in a very safe, controlled environment?"