• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry while in TN

PFC Helms

imported post

Hey everybody, got a question I am headed to TN this weekend with a couple of friends. here in KY it is legal for someone 18 and up to OC no permit required. I've looked all night and can't find a definative answer.I am unable to obtain a permit from either state untillI am 21, but since it is legal in KY andI am only visiting not moving there amI ok to OC this weekend?

thanks in advance

Helms, Thomas S

PFC

149th BCT

U.S. Army

Ss

imported post

In TN you must be 21 and have a Carry Permit. They do not have a concealed carry permit. It itis for both concealed carry and open carry. Have opened carry many times there while visiting my brother.

Great State!

nemo

imported post

Fallguy wrote:
No. You must have a valid permit from some state to OC or CC in TN period.
Hi, guys,

I am coming down on business next week, too. I am used to OC, here, but will not tempt fate while in Tn (sounds likecops check OC folks for permits pretty fierce, down your way). But....

...is there a place to shoot in Chattanooga?It would be nice if there werea range available near the airport. Otherwise, I will just plink in the motel parking lot. :D

PFC Helms

imported post

I actually ended up in TN one night and forgot to leavemy weaponin the vehicle.AsI went in to Hooter's in Galitin on our way home. about half way through our meal an Off duty LEO came up to me and asked ifI was a LEO.AsI replied to the negative, he asked ifI had a permit. I again replied to the negative and explained thatI was down from KY where Open carry was perfectly legal without a permit,and we were on our way back there.He then asked me to return theweapon to the car.Not because of the fact thatI wasnt susposed to have it, but because it is illegal to carry in a place that serves alcohol appearently.SoI returned the weapon to the car and went on about dinner.All in allI think a very positive interaction with TN LEO's.

Kingfish

imported post

PFC Helms wrote:
I actually ended up in TN one night and forgot to leavemy weaponin the vehicle.AsI went in to Hooter's in Galitin on our way home. about half way through our meal an Off duty LEO came up to me and asked ifI was a LEO.AsI replied to the negative, he asked ifI had a permit. I again replied to the negative and explained thatI was down from KY where Open carry was perfectly legal without a permit,and we were on our way back there.He then asked me to return theweapon to the car.Not because of the fact thatI wasnt susposed to have it, but because it is illegal to carry in a place that serves alcohol appearently.SoI returned the weapon to the car and went on about dinner.All in allI think a very positive interaction with TN LEO's.

WOW, you sir have got one huge pair.

SomeKid

imported post

nemo wrote:
Fallguy wrote:
No. You must have a valid permit from some state to OC or CC in TN period.
Hi, guys,

I am coming down on business next week, too. I am used to OC, here, but will not tempt fate while in Tn (sounds likecops check OC folks for permits pretty fierce, down your way). But....

...is there a place to shoot in Chattanooga?It would be nice if there werea range available near the airport. Otherwise, I will just plink in the motel parking lot. :D
I know this reply is months late, and this thread has simply been resurrected, but I want to correct something. Cops around here do not tend to aggresively check permits. I have not been checked once. We do have some ranges, but the best one that does not charge/require a membership is a decent drive from the airport. Come to TN, and OC your hearts content. Tomorrow, (today now) on Easter Sunday, I will be open carrying, just like I did today (yetserday I guess), and the day before.