Thread: Louisville Zoo

Post imported post

In each ticket window at the Louisville Zoo, there is a "circle-slash" no guns sign along with some verbage about Louisville Ordinance #86-1996 that makes carry of a weapon illegal. I looked it up and it doesn't appear to apply at all. I also thought that KY had complete state pre-emption under KRS 65.870. The Zoo appears to be city own/operated.

Which one is correct?

Post imported post

I am not a lawyer, but I'd tell that zoo to go **** themselves, pardon my American. Kentucky does have complete statewide pre-emption and if that zoo is run by a governmental body, they cannot post that sign. Zoos are not covered under the list of places off limits while carrying.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I_Hate_Illinois wrote:
    I am not a lawyer, but I'd tell that zoo to go **** themselves, pardon my American. Kentucky does have complete statewide pre-emption and if that zoo is run by a governmental body, they cannot post that sign. Zoos are not covered under the list of places off limits while carrying.
    I doubt there is any legal requirement that they not post the sign. They can make any kind of rule they want and post a sign accordingly. Whether they can enforce the rule is something different.

Post imported post

Sort of like those "Management not responsible for any accidents" signs. A sign can't change the law.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Post imported post

They could be held responsible if you can prove negligence on their side.

Post imported post

It's kind of funny when people ask you why you would want to carry in a zoo. You just say 'Hey, look at San Francisco'. I was at the zoo out here the other day and I was amazed at the ****** enclosures for the rhinos. They could run right out if they really wanted to. Yeah, thanks, I'll feel more comfortable with a S&W 500 on my side.