• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Weapons Prohibited at Harborview Medical Center

deanf

imported post

I just completed new employee orientation for University of Washington/Harborview Medical Center for a part-time job I am taking.

They made it very clear that Harborview is off-limits to weapons. The applicable code is WAC 478-124-020:
(2) In order to assure those rights to all members of the university community and to maintain a peaceful atmosphere in which the university may continue to make its special contribution to society, the following types of conduct are hereby prohibited on or in property either owned, controlled or operated by the university which is used or set aside for university purposes, hereinafter referred to as the university campus:

(e) Possession or use of firearms, explosives, dangerous chemicals or other dangerous weapons or instrumentalities on the university campus, except for authorized university purposes, unless prior written approval has been obtained from the university chief of police, or any other person designated by the president of the university;

They made it clear that this prohibition applies to all - faculty, students, employees, patients, public. The only enforcement for violations seems to be suspension (WAC 478-124-040) from the university, which wouldn't apply to the general public.

I am not interested in challenging this issue. I present it for discussion. I am wondering how their administrative rule squares with Washingtion Preemption. Facts: Harborview is owned by King County, and administered fully by the UofW by contract.

nofoa

imported post

School Code prohibits firearms on campus it looks like. To be expected, i hope that thing change in people's minds to allow responsible people to cc.

Nothing states what you will get for breaking the rule. So its up to the college president weither you get expelled or not.

Phssthpok

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
Dangerous chemicals is pretty broad. I wonder how they clean the floors or unclog a drain?
I guess no one drives a car there either...:?

Bear 45/70

imported post

Interesting, I just carried concealed for a week and a half at the UW Medical Center. No signs at any entrance telling anyone this Constitution defying crap. So gee, guess what, must not apply to anyone but you poor employees. Thinking about it I carried at Harborview over a 4 year period at least once a month and never saw a notice there either. FYI, there is no such thing as a "dangerous weapon", it's the guy operating the weapon that makes it dangerous of not.

thebastidge

2519 E Fourth Plain Blvd, Vancouver Washington, US
imported post

"Dangerous weapon" has a specific legal meaning. It is a distinctionfrom "deadly weapon." Anything used as a weapon can pretty much be a "dangerous" weapon. "Deadly" weapons are devices which are specificallydesigned as weapons. A pistol is a deadly weapon. A baseball bat is a dangerous weapon. A K-bar knife is a deadly weapon. A kitchen knife is a dangerous weapon.

IANAL.

Gene Beasley

imported post

except for authorized university purposes
I think this pretty much covers cleaning chemicals, scalpels, etc.

Some interesting reading in the Regarding Firearms on the UW Campus and @#$)*#!% Liberal Media threads that are somewhat related. Not sure that I have my head fully wrapped around the concept of the state granting authority to unelected bureaucrats to create rules in violation of the state constitution. Oh wait, they do it on the federal level, so it must be okay. :X

So the hypothetical question I had as an HMC employee, if I am injured somewhere near First Hill and walk into the ER at HMC armed - they are obligated to treat me, will no doubt call HMC Public Safety to secure my weapon... what consequences would my future hold when released? Some sort of disciplinary action or termination?

carhas0

imported post

There definitely is a sign prohibiting weapons, including knives I believe, at the UWMC entrance, citing the relevant WACs. You will see that this policy is subject to the "not intended to deny constitutionally guaranteed rights" statement.

Bear 45/70

imported post

sean-1286 wrote:
There definitely is a sign prohibiting weapons, including knives I believe, at the UWMC entrance, citing the relevant WACs. You will see that this policy is subject to the "not intended to deny constitutionally guaranteed rights" statement.
There maybea signat the main entrance, but I never the front doors. At UWMC I park under the Surgical Pavilion. At Harborview I always come in the doors by the helipad.