• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Drug dealers are getting fatter and fatter these days

Stealth Potato

imported post

The other day, I was walking west down 45th Street, from the University District towards Wallingford. I was OCing my new Kimber Custom II. As I was nearing the freeway, I noticed an, um, extremely rotund fellow walking in front of me, moving about and making arm gestures as though he was dancing along to music, although he was pretty clearly not wearing headphones. Naturally I was kinda wondering about his mental state at this point. :?

We came up on a crosswalk, and the guy turned around and stood near the corner of an adjacent building, while I moved up to the beginning of the crosswalk to wait for the light. As I was passing, I heard him say something that sounded a lot like, "Hey, you need some bud, man?"

I was a bit surprised by this, and anyway I wasn't entirely sure I'd heard him correctly, so I didn't reply immediately. But it was about that time that he apparently noticed my holstered Kimber; he just did a double-take,:shock: and then promptly turned around and waddled in the opposite direction. Maybe he thought I was a cop? But I really don't look much like a police officer; maybe he just figured the open carry sort isn't likely to have a high demand for illegal drugs, heheh.

So, do you guys think this is a new social crisis we need to be aware of? Obesity among drug dealers? Maybe we need another social program. :lol:

I guess as a side note, I OCed for several hours in and around the University District without anybody freaking out. No stares, no shocked comments, no frantic 911 calls at all. Honestly, though, I think relatively few people even noticed. I'm beginning to realize that many of my peers are very inattentive in public...

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Stealth Potato wrote:
So, do you guys think this is a new social crisis we need to be aware of? Obesity among drug dealers? Maybe we need another social program. :lol:

I guess as a side note, I OCed for several hours in and around the University District without anybody freaking out. No stares, no shocked comments, no frantic 911 calls at all. Honestly, though, I think relatively few people even noticed. I'm beginning to realize that many of my peers are very inattentive in public...
I think we need more social programs to help drug dealers understand the danger they are putting themselves into by being obese.

And yes I think many people are very inattentive in public, but I think a lot more notice than we realize.

Case in point, OC'd for the second time in Last Word Books the other day, was wearing my revolver. While I was ringing up was chatting with the guy behind the counter and he mentioned he had seen me OCing a few days earlier.

Now this person was not freaking out, in fact was happily taking my debit card for a purchase, nor had freaked out before. I wonder how many people see OC and either dredge something up from the corners of their minds that it must be legal, or simply assume a person acting normal carrying a gun must be legal because, well they are acting normal and nobody would do something as crazy as carry a gun while acting normal unless it was legal. People see things out of the ordinary and try to fit them within certain defined parameters. Therefore OC is legal, guy must be a cop/security guard/whatever, guy must have a special permit for this, or OMG, guy has a gun, must call cops, oh no he has cookies too! RUN!!!:what:

Fortunately very few seem to fall into the last category.

Haven't been to the U District in about a year, should stop by there sometime again...

Steve

B.R.A.S.S.

imported post

The blue moon tavern, is where all the old hippies hang out, I have walked by there many times and been asked if I wanted anything. your rotund friend was probably thinking you were one of their lefty trainees.

Stealth Potato

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
And yes I think many people are very inattentive in public, but I think a lot more notice than we realize.
True; I think that it's mainly my fellow university students who are the inattentive ones, especially the sort who look at their shoes and listen to their iPods while they walk. All too many of those around here!

And yeah, it was just a few blocks west of the Blue Moon. It just figures, I suppose. :?

XCon

imported post

you should post a pic of you open carrying, then maybe I could tell if you looked like a cop or not. lol