Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 72

Thread: Younger-Folks open carry??

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, USA
    Posts
    145

    Post imported post

    Hello all,

    I'm 18, live in Alaska and am looking to start OCing (Gotta pick up a sherpa firstas it is perfectly legal up here.

    Have any of you had problems OCing when you are/were younger? Do you seem to get a hard time simply because of your age?



    any thoughts/input would be great, as I am simply trying to see what the general impression of "Under 21" OCing is.



    Thanks,



    Jon

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    914

    Post imported post

    akhunter3 wrote:
    Hello all,

    I'm 18, live in Alaska and am looking to start OCing (Gotta pick up a sherpa firstas it is perfectly legal up here.

    Have any of you had problems OCing when you are/were younger? Do you seem to get a hard time simply because of your age?



    any thoughts/input would be great, as I am simply trying to see what the general impression of "Under 21" OCing is.



    Thanks,



    Jon
    can't really say. I started OCing when I was 24

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Chandler, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    43

    Post imported post

    I'm only 19, and most people don't really seem to care. I've only had one guy give me grief so far, and I've walked past tons of cops, huge gaggles at a time.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    , Nevada, USA
    Posts
    343

    Post imported post

    I turn 20 in about a week. I've had no probs with OC'ing so far. Even while running and LEO see me. They don't bat an eye. I also OC'd into a room with 100+/- cops and nobody questioned me or acted weird.

    Just be calm, confident, and act like you know what your doing.

  5. #5
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Troy, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    544

    Post imported post

    I'm 19, and I am positive that it had something to do with getting arrested for OC.

    In Alaska, it seems like it shouldn't be a problem

    Also, as far as your age is concerned, it shouldn't matter how old you are (within reason of course), what should matter is your ability to be responsible and safe with your weapon and can properly employ it if need be. Get some good training and go out with confidence.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    , Oregon, USA
    Posts
    30

    Post imported post

    I started when I was 20. I haven't had any problems. I do think it is important that you dress in such a way that people see that you are an upstanding citizen. Chains hanging off your pants and walking around with no shirt probably isn't going to bring across the impression that we want.

    To directly answer your question...No, I haven't had any problems because of my age. Actually, I haven't had any problems at all!

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    914

    Post imported post

    really I think the trick is exactly what was mentioned above: act confident and as if you're not doing anything wrong... because you aren't.

    I'm one of those analogy guys, so the one I'll use is "If you don't want to get struck by lightning, don't be a lightning rod..."

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    , Nevada, USA
    Posts
    343

    Post imported post

    Deovin1 wrote:
    I do think it is important that you dress in such a way that people see that you are an upstanding citizen. Chains hanging off your pants and walking around with no shirt probably isn't going to bring across the impression that we want.
    Thats the truth. I always try to dress nice - even with a t-shirt, its tucked in. Cops do discriminate based on how you present yourself. I know that shocks most of you...

    I have ran with my Serpa toting 1911, in shorts with no shirt and nobody bothered me. It does come down to what your doing in some manner.



  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Here and There, Washington, USA
    Posts
    150

    Post imported post

    Alaska is very gun friendly, from what I hear. Almost no stories for Alaska here in the states forum. Keep us informed of how it goes, even if you never have any problems. I think you'll fit right in as a good Citizen.

    I think age is not a big issue with OC, as most of the harassment that occurs is due to the officers preconceived opinions and ignorance of the laws. As long as you do your research and understand the local laws you will be fine.

    EDIT: Acording to the info on here, minimum age to OC in Alaska is 14, so you aren't even young by state standards.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, USA
    Posts
    145

    Post imported post

    vmathis12019 wrote:
    I'm 19, and I am positive that it had something to do with getting arrested for OC.

    In Alaska, it seems like it shouldn't be a problem

    Also, as far as your age is concerned, it shouldn't matter how old you are (within reason of course), what should matter is your ability to be responsible and safe with your weapon and can properly employ it if need be. Get some good training and go out with confidence.
    I see your point and your adzactly right. However if the government and the rules/regulations always made sense we'd have a much different government.



    As for the dress thing, most people think I dress/look much older than I am, as I always tuck in my shirts and try to look presentable. Not a fan of the chains/baggy pants/XXXXXXXXXL shirts.



    Thanks for the input guys! I will definitely keep you updated and let you all know how OCing goes.



    Thanks again,


    Jon

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    48

    Post imported post

    Like everyone said, it's a matter where you have to be normal. You are not breaking any laws, and no one cares if you act normal. However, in my case it was kind of a hard time to be normal...there are so many things that have you believe you can't do it. Via news, school, law makers, or even the local anti-gun police. So i find that the hardest thing about OC.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Centennial, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    1,412

    Post imported post

    I started at 23, but I look a lot younger (I had one lady act very surprised that I was over 18), and have had few problems, and I dint think any of those had anything to do to my age.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    275

    Post imported post

    I'm 21 and haven't had any problems yet. (Besides the girlfriend thinking it's inapporpriate to OC in WalMart or the grocery store, or the Zoo like today.)

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Kaneohe Bay, HI USA
    Posts
    293

    Post imported post

    Started at age 18 and overall my experience has been good. Had one bad experience with an LEO who commented on my age several times during a traffic stop. (Look at my Idaho forum post for more info)

    Generally speaking there is not a whole lot of discrimination between 18 and 21+

    Make sure you are polite and respectful, knowledgeable in your law, and confidant.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    North Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    32

    Post imported post

    When I was stationed in Anchorage I had no problems OCing anywhere.

  16. #16
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,606

    Post imported post

    I'm 22, I get hassled more about buying cigarettes than I do about my sidearm.

    And I don't get hassled for buying cigarettes

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, USA
    Posts
    240

    Post imported post

    I live in Anchorage AK, and I am 22 years old. I have OCd a few times, and have not had any negative reactions to it so far. I'm not quite sure what the laws are for people under 21, but I personally would have no problem with 18, 19, and 20 year olds OCing, given they're responsible.

  18. #18
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,606

    Post imported post

    spyderdude wrote:
    I live in Anchorage AK, and I am 22 years old. I have OCd a few times, and have not had any negative reactions to it so far. I'm not quite sure what the laws are for people under 21, but I personally would have no problem with 18, 19, and 20 year olds OCing, given they're responsible.
    Thats the problem...

    In a lot of states you have to just be okay with the age, its hard to tell if a person is going to be responsible or not, even if they go through training. I think 21 is reasonable. I could be even believe that 18 would be okay, but not across the board.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    , Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    450

    Post imported post

    I started carrying when I was 21... and have OCed on occasion for the last 5 years, moreso in the last 2. Generally in the summertime, since I'm not going to go out of my way to expose my weapon, but neither am I going to go out of my way to conceal it 99% of the time.

    I've never had any issues with law enforcement, and very few with people I come across... none at all which weren't turned into a positive encounter by being polite, informative, and articulate. Those few initial negative/leery responses were not a result of my apparent age, they were simply unsure of the legality, and surprised that I was not LE.

    I don't OC when I cannot present myself in a clean/professional manner. If I am in a bad mood, or working on a dirty project and have in public to go get some parts or something, or sometimes if I decide to dress like a ragamuffin and not shave, I'll conceal. I realize that I don't have to take that precaution, but, I think that carrying while presenting a questionable appearance or attitude is akin to speeding,using rude sign languageand driving recklessly with a cross or fish symbol on one's vehicle. I'm an ambassador for gun owners, and since all of you will be judged based on how I present myself, and act in certain situations... I want to be responsible.



  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    , Nevada, USA
    Posts
    343

    Post imported post

    I haven't had any problems yet with OC'ing. Even including OC in my bank and Police Dept. Will be heading to the PD this afternoon as it is. Check my log in the Idaho section for an update later tonight.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    , Nevada, USA
    Posts
    343

    Post imported post

    Read my latest posting in the Idaho Forum thread "My OC Log."

    More of an almost 20 year old OC'er.

    I turn 20 on sunday!:celebrate

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    North Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    32

    Post imported post

    molonlabetn wrote:

    I've never had any issues with law enforcement, and very few with people I come across... none at all which weren't turned into a positive encounter by being polite, informative, and articulate. Those few initial negative/leery responses were not a result of my apparent age, they were simply unsure of the legality, and surprised that I was not LE.

    I don't OC when I cannot present myself in a clean/professional manner. If I am in a bad mood, or working on a dirty project and have in public to go get some parts or something, or sometimes if I decide to dress like a ragamuffin and not shave, I'll conceal. I realize that I don't have to take that precaution, but, I think that carrying while presenting a questionable appearance or attitude is akin to speeding,using rude sign languageand driving recklessly with a cross or fish symbol on one's vehicle. I'm an ambassador for gun owners, and since all of you will be judged based on how I present myself, and act in certain situations... I want to be responsible.

    I couldnt agree with you more. If your what the general public would deem a threat based upon appearance. Think of how they would percieve that image with a pistol on their hip.







  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    , Nevada, USA
    Posts
    343

    Post imported post

    VegasSig wrote:
    molonlabetn wrote:

    I've never had any issues with law enforcement, and very few with people I come across... none at all which weren't turned into a positive encounter by being polite, informative, and articulate. Those few initial negative/leery responses were not a result of my apparent age, they were simply unsure of the legality, and surprised that I was not LE.

    I don't OC when I cannot present myself in a clean/professional manner. If I am in a bad mood, or working on a dirty project and have in public to go get some parts or something, or sometimes if I decide to dress like a ragamuffin and not shave, I'll conceal. I realize that I don't have to take that precaution, but, I think that carrying while presenting a questionable appearance or attitude is akin to speeding,using rude sign languageand driving recklessly with a cross or fish symbol on one's vehicle. I'm an ambassador for gun owners, and since all of you will be judged based on how I present myself, and act in certain situations... I want to be responsible.

    I couldnt agree with you more. If your what the general public would deem a threat based upon appearance. Think of how they would percieve that image with a pistol on their hip.
    :celebrateThats the attitude I take - I don't OC unless I have something semi nice looking on. Its hard sometimes cause I can get pretty dirty at work, but you can carry nice looking clothes in a suburban and not have to worry.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156

    Post imported post



  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, USA
    Posts
    145

    Post imported post

    I am the same way here in AK. Slowly working my way up to OC. Went rabbit hunting out of town today and decided to stick my .45 in the glovebox. I figure by christmas break I'll have my serpa and be OCing.



    More power to ya' go ahead and give it a try





    Jon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •