• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Younger-Folks open carry??

akhunter3

imported post

Hello all,

I'm 18, live in Alaska and am looking to start OCing (Gotta pick up a sherpa first;)as it is perfectly legal up here.

Have any of you had problems OCing when you are/were younger? Do you seem to get a hard time simply because of your age?

any thoughts/input would be great, as I am simply trying to see what the general impression of "Under 21" OCing is.

Thanks,

Jon

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

akhunter3 wrote:
Hello all,

I'm 18, live in Alaska and am looking to start OCing (Gotta pick up a sherpa first;)as it is perfectly legal up here.

Have any of you had problems OCing when you are/were younger? Do you seem to get a hard time simply because of your age?

any thoughts/input would be great, as I am simply trying to see what the general impression of "Under 21" OCing is.

Thanks,

Jon
can't really say. I started OCing when I was 24

radwood

imported post

I'm only 19, and most people don't really seem to care. I've only had one guy give me grief so far, and I've walked past tons of cops, huge gaggles at a time.

bourneshooter

imported post

I turn 20 in about a week. I've had no probs with OC'ing so far. Even while running and LEO see me. They don't bat an eye. I also OC'd into a room with 100+/- cops and nobody questioned me or acted weird.

Just be calm, confident, and act like you know what your doing.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

I'm 19, and I am positive that it had something to do with getting arrested for OC.

In Alaska, it seems like it shouldn't be a problem

Also, as far as your age is concerned, it shouldn't matter how old you are (within reason of course), what should matter is your ability to be responsible and safe with your weapon and can properly employ it if need be. Get some good training and go out with confidence.

Deovin1

imported post

I started when I was 20. I haven't had any problems. I do think it is important that you dress in such a way that people see that you are an upstanding citizen. Chains hanging off your pants and walking around with no shirt probably isn't going to bring across the impression that we want.

To directly answer your question...No, I haven't had any problems because of my age. Actually, I haven't had any problems at all!

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

really I think the trick is exactly what was mentioned above: act confident and as if you're not doing anything wrong... because you aren't.

I'm one of those analogy guys, so the one I'll use is "If you don't want to get struck by lightning, don't be a lightning rod..."

bourneshooter

imported post

Deovin1 wrote:
I do think it is important that you dress in such a way that people see that you are an upstanding citizen. Chains hanging off your pants and walking around with no shirt probably isn't going to bring across the impression that we want.

Thats the truth. I always try to dress nice - even with a t-shirt, its tucked in. Cops do discriminate based on how you present yourself. :banghead: I know that shocks most of you...;)

I have ran with my Serpa toting 1911, in shorts with no shirt and nobody bothered me. It does come down to what your doing in some manner.

Sitrep

imported post

Alaska is very gun friendly, from what I hear. Almost no stories for Alaska here in the states forum. Keep us informed of how it goes, even if you never have any problems. I think you'll fit right in as a good Citizen.

I think age is not a big issue with OC, as most of the harassment that occurs is due to the officers preconceived opinions and ignorance of the laws. As long as you do your research and understand the local laws you will be fine.

EDIT: Acording to the info on here, minimum age to OC in Alaska is 14, so you aren't even young by state standards.

akhunter3

imported post

vmathis12019 wrote:
I'm 19, and I am positive that it had something to do with getting arrested for OC.

In Alaska, it seems like it shouldn't be a problem

Also, as far as your age is concerned, it shouldn't matter how old you are (within reason of course), what should matter is your ability to be responsible and safe with your weapon and can properly employ it if need be. Get some good training and go out with confidence.

I see your point and your adzactly right. However if the government and the rules/regulations always made sense we'd have a much different government.

As for the dress thing, most people think I dress/look much older than I am, as I always tuck in my shirts and try to look presentable. Not a fan of the chains/baggy pants/XXXXXXXXXL shirts.

Thanks for the input guys! I will definitely keep you updated and let you all know how OCing goes.

Thanks again,

Jon

lordnitrox

imported post

Like everyone said, it's a matter where you have to be normal. You are not breaking any laws, and no one cares if you act normal. However, in my case it was kind of a hard time to be normal...there are so many things that have you believe you can't do it. Via news, school, law makers, or even the local anti-gun police. So i find that the hardest thing about OC.

FogRider

imported post

I started at 23, but I look a lot younger (I had one lady act very surprised that I was over 18), and have had few problems, and I dint think any of those had anything to do to my age.

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

I'm 21 and haven't had any problems yet. (Besides the girlfriend thinking it's inapporpriate to OC in WalMart or the grocery store, or the Zoo like today.)

Saint

imported post

Started at age 18 and overall my experience has been good. Had one bad experience with an LEO who commented on my age several times during a traffic stop. (Look at my Idaho forum post for more info)

Generally speaking there is not a whole lot of discrimination between 18 and 21+

Make sure you are polite and respectful, knowledgeable in your law, and confidant.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

I'm 22, I get hassled more about buying cigarettes than I do about my sidearm.

And I don't get hassled for buying cigarettes :)

spyderdude

imported post

I live in Anchorage AK, and I am 22 years old. I have OCd a few times, and have not had any negative reactions to it so far. I'm not quite sure what the laws are for people under 21, but I personally would have no problem with 18, 19, and 20 year olds OCing, given they're responsible.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

spyderdude wrote:
I live in Anchorage AK, and I am 22 years old. I have OCd a few times, and have not had any negative reactions to it so far. I'm not quite sure what the laws are for people under 21, but I personally would have no problem with 18, 19, and 20 year olds OCing, given they're responsible.
Thats the problem...

In a lot of states you have to just be okay with the age, its hard to tell if a person is going to be responsible or not, even if they go through training. I think 21 is reasonable. I could be even believe that 18 would be okay, but not across the board.

molonlabetn

imported post

I started carrying when I was 21... and have OCed on occasion for the last 5 years, moreso in the last 2. Generally in the summertime, since I'm not going to go out of my way to expose my weapon, but neither am I going to go out of my way to conceal it 99% of the time.

I've never had any issues with law enforcement, and very few with people I come across... none at all which weren't turned into a positive encounter by being polite, informative, and articulate. Those few initial negative/leery responses were not a result of my apparent age, they were simply unsure of the legality, and surprised that I was not LE.

I don't OC when I cannot present myself in a clean/professional manner. If I am in a bad mood, or working on a dirty project and have in public to go get some parts or something, or sometimes if I decide to dress like a ragamuffin and not shave, I'll conceal. I realize that I don't have to take that precaution, but, I think that carrying while presenting a questionable appearance or attitude is akin to speeding,using rude sign languageand driving recklessly with a cross or fish symbol on one's vehicle. I'm an ambassador for gun owners, and since all of you will be judged based on how I present myself, and act in certain situations... I want to be responsible.

bourneshooter

imported post

I haven't had any problems yet with OC'ing. Even including OC in my bank and Police Dept. Will be heading to the PD this afternoon as it is. Check my log in the Idaho section for an update later tonight.