• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Younger-Folks open carry??

bourneshooter

imported post

Read my latest posting in the Idaho Forum thread "My OC Log."

More of an almost 20 year old OC'er.

I turn 20 on sunday!:celebrate

VegasSig

imported post

molonlabetn wrote:

I've never had any issues with law enforcement, and very few with people I come across... none at all which weren't turned into a positive encounter by being polite, informative, and articulate. Those few initial negative/leery responses were not a result of my apparent age, they were simply unsure of the legality, and surprised that I was not LE.

I don't OC when I cannot present myself in a clean/professional manner. If I am in a bad mood, or working on a dirty project and have in public to go get some parts or something, or sometimes if I decide to dress like a ragamuffin and not shave, I'll conceal. I realize that I don't have to take that precaution, but, I think that carrying while presenting a questionable appearance or attitude is akin to speeding,using rude sign languageand driving recklessly with a cross or fish symbol on one's vehicle. I'm an ambassador for gun owners, and since all of you will be judged based on how I present myself, and act in certain situations... I want to be responsible.

I couldnt agree with you more. If your what the general public would deem a threat based upon appearance. Think of how they would percieve that image with a pistol on their hip.

bourneshooter

imported post

VegasSig wrote:
molonlabetn wrote:

I've never had any issues with law enforcement, and very few with people I come across... none at all which weren't turned into a positive encounter by being polite, informative, and articulate. Those few initial negative/leery responses were not a result of my apparent age, they were simply unsure of the legality, and surprised that I was not LE.

I don't OC when I cannot present myself in a clean/professional manner. If I am in a bad mood, or working on a dirty project and have in public to go get some parts or something, or sometimes if I decide to dress like a ragamuffin and not shave, I'll conceal. I realize that I don't have to take that precaution, but, I think that carrying while presenting a questionable appearance or attitude is akin to speeding,using rude sign languageand driving recklessly with a cross or fish symbol on one's vehicle. I'm an ambassador for gun owners, and since all of you will be judged based on how I present myself, and act in certain situations... I want to be responsible.

I couldnt agree with you more. If your what the general public would deem a threat based upon appearance. Think of how they would percieve that image with a pistol on their hip.

:celebrateThats the attitude I take - I don't OC unless I have something semi nice looking on. Its hard sometimes cause I can get pretty dirty at work, but you can carry nice looking clothes in a suburban and not have to worry.

akhunter3

imported post

I am the same way here in AK. Slowly working my way up to OC. Went rabbit hunting out of town today and decided to stick my .45 in the glovebox. I figure by christmas break I'll have my serpa and be OCing.

More power to ya' go ahead and give it a try:)

Jon

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

nova wrote:
I'm 18, I've never OC'd before. I guess it's because it took so much effort to explain to some people that at age 18 I can own handguns (and I do...8 to be exact :) )

Because it seems as though it's engrained in peoples' minds that it's "18 for shotguns/rifles, 21 for handguns" which is true ONLY for purchasing from an FFL.
How'd you get 8 handguns at 18? Lucky guy.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

HankT wrote:
How'd you get 8 handguns at 18? Lucky guy.

I agree with HankT.... wow... did I really just type that??

The only reason I have the few guns that I do own is because they were "gifts" cough cough. Maybe financial aid refunds had something to do with it... but I'm not sure ;). Still... 8 seems like quite an investment for an 18 year old to afford. I'm envious.

akhunter3

imported post

I have a ruger p90. Great shooting guns aren't they!!

I'm having a hard time finding a good holster to OC with though. Picked up a unclemikes paddle a couple weeks ago, so we'll see how it works out. Have you found any holsters that work well w/the Rugers??

Jon

akhunter3

imported post

Ahhh intersting. I think the paddle I got is kinda goofy. I have a identicle one made for my G20, which works well. But so far the one for the P90 hasn't worked worth a darn. I'm gonna play with it some more and hopefully it will work well, as I'm planning on using it as my OC gun.

Definitely like thegun though, very accurate, works well, and I like the safety setup, although I'd like it more if you could do C/L.

Jon

akhunter3

imported post

Have you ever shot +p through your ruger? I picked some up tonight that I am looking to try as I have never thrown any through there before. Got my carry ammo now, so it's time to start OCing with it.:)

Jon

akhunter3

imported post

Aright! That's good to hear. I figured it would be able to take it ok, I love the frame on the rugers, makes you think it could handle anything you could throw at it.

I do however, not care for the rust-preventativeness. The riflings on my P90 will rust in a nanosecond, and it gets really old having to clean the thing everytime I even look at it.

I did OC for the first time this week, with my P90:)Not a large scale OC but still better than nothing.

Went hunting and just never took it off, stayed with me for a trip to help move some stuff as well as to the gas station. Happy to say I didn't even get a second glance:)

Jon

akhunter3

imported post

Yep, it's rusting on me. Real light, it's barely starting to change color, but it's definitely rust. I've broken out the bronze brush more than usual and picked up some stronger bore cleaner, hopefully it will disseapear soon.

Do you have any Rugers in .40?? If so how does it shoot??

I'm looking at picking one up and am trying to decide between Glock, XD, or Ruger...nothing else is affordable for me:(