• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Durham

jimwyant

imported post

The NC area doesn't get too many posts, so I have decided to add one, even though I am simply reporting non-events.

As has been my custom for many years (see my numerousposts inthe VA section, whereI still spend nearly halfof my time since my wife still lives just outside of Richmond),I nearly always OC.

A few months ago, I bought and moved into an older home in downtown Durham, against the advice of pretty much everyone I knew who knew the area. You see, I'm the typical "redneck",anddon't exactly blend in with the other residents of the neighborhood.It is notone of the "revitalized" areas, and as such, has a less than stellar reputation.

Based on the aforementioned feedback regarding the kind of neighborhood it was supposed to be, I made it a point to be seen armed any time I am outside ofmy home. Honestly, I've actually been a little surprised at the result. The guys from emove.com who helped me move in (and strained their backs carrying in my ammo boxes full of both ammo and reloading supplies) commented on it, but supported my decision - one said something about there not being any "good" areas in Durham, just some that are less bad than others.

A fewneighbors/pedestrians haveasked if I was LE, but most have kept silent on the subject. Although rare in urban areas these days, several folks seem to have gone out of their way to speak to me whenever they see me outside. Perhaps this is just a result of them seeing me come and go, living my life in a normal manner, albeit always armed.

I spent the majority of three days last month under a Volvo 240 I just bought, changing the oil, timing belt, water pump, etc., allthe while accompanied by Mr. G20 in my CQC holster (the leather holster for my Alaskan is too nice to wear while wallowing around in dirt and oil). Other than a few :what:from some kids/teen-agers walking by, there were noreactions. I have OC'ed several times at the North Durham Lowes, and although I have engaged in brief educational conversations regarding legality, permits, etc., there wasnever anynegative feedback. I have also OC'ed at the Wal-Mart in Raliegh near Brier Creek with nary a comment, although I have seen a few raised eyebrows. I've OC'ed at other area businesses and fast food restaurants whose names escape me at the moment, alsowith no problems.

All in all, the Durham/Raliegh area seems to be much more OC friendly, even in the "bad" neighborhoods, than I was expecting.

dubccat51

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Welcome to North Carolina. It may not be Virginia in relation to firearm laws, but it's not terrible. Your right. Durhamdoes havea reputation for being a very rough city. I will not go there unless I am armed and even then I try to stay in the "less bad" areas. I don't see it as being an OC unfriendly area though. Preemption states that all firearm laws must be decided by the state, so therefore they must honor OC just like any other local government. I need to do some Christmas shopping over there in the next few weeks and I was wondering if anyone knew whether Northgate and Southpoint Malls were posted against firearms?

acritical

imported post

I just happen to go to Durham every weekend, and when the weather permits, I open carry. LEO there is familiar with the OC laws and respectfully says nothing to you as long as it seems to them that you are not trying to cause a disturbance by bringing attention to the firearm.

All in all, I have never had a problem in Durham whether carrying or not. Where I would not say that I frequent the "badder" areas of Durham, the outskirts and shopping areas are always non-eventful.

Custodian

imported post

Umm... What mall in North Carolina DOESN'T have a ban on firearms? I can't name any mall that supports our rights in the Triangle area or beyond that. Malls are little fiefdoms. Sure there are some loopholes, if you entered through a department store that doesn't have a sign posted banning your duty/right to carry. These places sicken me.

So I will give you the skinny.

Durham:

Northgate Mall... This mall has a shooting almost every month. Its frightening. The surrounding area and neighborhood is slowly becoming a war zone.

Streets at Southpoint Mall... This place is the new quarter in the collection. However, you may notice the Deputy Sheriff's and Local police there all the time. My old security company I worked for pulled out because of the necessary force that had to be used. Also, the force they received from criminals. By the by, this place is a gang recruitment center. The head morons come out in the afternoons with their women in full colors and try to pick up new morons for their outfit.

And both of these places want to take away your right when the crap hits the fan blades. I do not frequent these places because of the knowledge I hold.

yonder

imported post

Actually if you go to Crabtree Valley Mall, the main mall entrances are posted NO WEAPONS but if you enter through Belk's department store, that store isn't posted. Good luck.