• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

One In the Hole?

BluesBear

imported post

vmathis12019 wrote:
If you're not comfortable carrying a loaded gun, then maybe you should seek some more training and information.
AMEN !

You need to use my SHOW philosophy.

• Practice Safe
  • Practice Hard
  • Practice Often
  • Practice Wisely

The biggest problem with carrying an automatic with an empty chamber is that it takes TWO hands to chamber a round quickly. So if you have one hand fending off an attcker you have a problem. And what if your other hand was holding your child or other loved one, that's whenyou'd really wish that chamber was already loaded.

BluesBear

imported post

gregma wrote:
I'll leave the Israeli carry to the Israeli's :)

Long before there even was a country called Israel, the way the US military carried the 1911A1 was with a loaded magazine and an empty chamber.

However, whenever a soldier expected to be going "into harms way" they were instructed to load the chamber and apply the safety.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

BluesBear wrote:
vmathis12019 wrote:
If you're not comfortable carrying a loaded gun, then maybe you should seek some more training and information.
AMEN !

You need to use my SHOW philosophy.
  • Practice Safe
  • Practice Hard
  • Practice Often
  • Practice Wisely

The biggest problem with carrying an automatic with an empty chamber is that it takes TWO hands to chamber a round quickly. So if you have one hand fending off an attcker you have a problem. And what if your other hand was holding your child or other loved one, that's whenyou'd really wish that chamber was already loaded.

LOL, this sounds like it should be an informercial.

Stealth Potato

imported post

I carry a 1911, almost always in Condition One (cocked and locked). It felt a little weird at first, but between the grip safety, the thumb safety, and my Serpa retention holster which completely covers the trigger, it has come to feel quite safe to me. Well, as safe as a loaded gun is supposed to feel, anyway. :p

The only time I'm in "Israeli carry" mode is when I have to ride the bus somewhere -- because I don't yet have my CPL, I have to unload it before getting on the bus. Israeli carry is the only way I can do this without likely running afoul of 9.41.270, by simply discreetly removing the magazine. I'll be putting in my CPL application as soon as I can get to Skagit County on a weekday, so hopefully I shouldn't have to deal with this for very long.

joeroket

imported post

Stealth Potato wrote:
I carry a 1911, almost always in Condition One (cocked and locked). It felt a little weird at first, but between the grip safety, the thumb safety, and my Serpa retention holster which completely covers the trigger, it has come to feel quite safe to me. Well, as safe as a loaded gun is supposed to feel, anyway. :p

The only time I'm in "Israeli carry" mode is when I have to ride the bus somewhere -- because I don't yet have my CPL, I have to unload it before getting on the bus. Israeli carry is the only way I can do this without likely running afoul of 9.41.270, by simply discreetly removing the magazine. I'll be putting in my CPL application as soon as I can get to Skagit County on a weekday, so hopefully I shouldn't have to deal with this for very long.
I hope you empty the chamber as well. I bring this up because if they do approach you on the bus and disarm you but there is a round in the chamber you will be hit with a loaded weapon in a vehicle.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

openryan wrote:
I usually OC, a SW Sigma 9mm, usually charged, not always.

When I do CC, it is always chargd and ready to go.
Sold my Sigma a while back but, when charged, the last thing on my mind with that 13lbs trigger pull was a ND, heh.

expvideo

imported post

jonnyjeeps wrote:
This may seem like a silly question but do mostof youcarry, concealed or open, with one in the hole ready to fire? I ask because I had this strange uncomfortable feeling the other day when I loaded my pistol cocked and locked it and remembered there was no manual trigger safety on it(SA XD). Obviously if the need arises to use the gun it will take seconds more to cock it as well as two hands, which in the wrong situatuation may prove detrimental. But on the other hand it does feel a little less safe beimg ready to fire with automatic safeties. Any input or opinion would be appreciated.
You carry an XD. You can feel safe with one in the chamber. It has a trigger safety, a grip safety and a firing pin safety (firing pin is locked in place until the trigger is pulled), as far as I remember. So as long as you can manage to keep your booger hook off the bang switch, you'll be just fine. The XD will not fire itself, in fact it's probably one of the safest guns you can own.

compmanio365

imported post

I carry one of two guns, depending on OC or CC. OC = HiPoint 45, CC = Kel-Tec 9.

I carry both with one in the chamber. The HP is single action, so it is always cocked and locked internally, with the safety on. It's also drop test safe and has a mag safety as well, so say someone attempted a gun grab, I could drop the mag out of the HP and the gun would do them no good, it just won't fire. I don't worry about having one in the chamber as I have never heard of a ND with a Hi Point due to any mechanical issue, and that time I would spend chambering a round is precious to me in any SD situation.

The Kel-Tec is DAO, with no safety, but I am usually carrying that concealed. The only thing I worry about with that configuration is the trigger snagging on clothing or something similar, but it hasn't happened yet, and you would have to pull quite hard to cause a ND. You would notice the problem before then. Since it's DAO I have no need to worry about sear failure or anything like that.

So I carry with one in the pipe on both my handguns. If they aren't ready when you need them, they won't do you much good. I've never tried racking a slide under extreme stress, and I hope I don't ever need to. If I can draw and get rounds on target before they do on me, I'll be doing good already. I don't need the added stress of either pulling the trigger and hearing click and then trying to rack the slide, all while dodging incoming fire. Your gun is most likely designed to have one in the pipe while being carried, and has been tested to make sure it's safe when doing so. Carry it the most tactically sound way, and the way the manufacturer intended.

SIGguy229

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
When I carry my P89 there is always one in the pipe with the safety one. I can sweep the safety off as I draw, I may start carrying with the safety off, but mainly worry about having to use my weapon and having some dumbass prosecutor make a big deal about "the safety being off" The damn thing is there for my safety not the safety of the person I am pointing the gun at.

When I carry my revolver, the condition speaks for itself.

Steve
Get SIG--don't have to worry about a "safety"

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

SIGguy229 wrote:
Get SIG--don't have to worry about a "safety"
Or I could just get a decocker only P89 or see about having mine converted. I'm kinda picky about my guns, and I have universally found that Rugers work for me, and work very well. So it will take a lot to convert me. Thanks though.

jonnyjeeps

imported post

Hold on Blue, dont go insinuating that I need more trainning or education. The purpose of the thread was to refresh my mind, and the factthatthisperticular pistol has no MANUAL safety. I am not scared of the gun going off on its own and I usually carry w/ one chambered, but some of us havent lost that initial fear of the first time you held a firearm and what it can do, this fear/respect is very healthy and I was tought never to lose it, fear is the most usefull tool your brain has to determine danger and I pity any who have lost it.

FogRider

imported post

jonnyjeeps wrote:
Hold on Blue, dont go insinuating that I need more trainning or education. The purpose of the thread was to refresh my mind, and the factthatthisperticular pistol has no MANUAL safety. I am not scared of the gun going off on its own and I usually carry w/ one chambered, but some of us havent lost that initial fear of the first time you held a firearm and what it can do, this fear/respect is very healthy and I was tought never to lose it, fear is the most usefull tool your brain has to determine danger and I pity any who have lost it.
I carry an XD with a round chambered, and am completely comfortable with it. As others have said, with a good holster and good discipline on your part, the chances of a ND/AD are virtually nil. And as for fear, it can be a help, but unreasonable fear is bad. Change "never lose your fear" to "never lose your respect" and you have my attitude towards guns. I have never feared them, but I have always respected them, and never had an accident.

BluesBear

imported post

jonnyjeeps wrote:
Hold on Blue, dont go insinuating that I need more trainning or education.

Hold on Jeeps, I didn't insinuate anything. I'm not the one who brought it up. I just strongly agreed with what was said regarding anyone not being comfortable.

just_a_car

imported post

Honestly, I'm still working on getting comfortable with carrying with one in the chamber of my GLOCK 27, even with my SERPA CQC holster. For the moment, I carry without one in the chamber and a full mag inserted. I intend on becoming comfortable with 'condition zero' on it, though in the near-ish future.

compmanio365

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
Honestly, I'm still working on getting comfortable with carrying with one in the chamber of my GLOCK 27, even with my SERPA CQC holster. For the moment, I carry without one in the chamber and a full mag inserted. I intend on becoming comfortable with 'condition zero' on it, though in the near-ish future.

Withthat Glock, I can see why you'd be nervous! :lol:

(I kid, really........:celebrate)

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
just_a_car wrote:

Withthat Glock, I can see why you'd be nervous! :lol:

(I kid, really........:celebrate)
Ahaha!

It is nervous the first time I think for a lot of people. I mean you know that it is near impossible for the gun to fire without you pulling the trigger. However, you still know the power that you weapon is capable of, and for that power to just be "seconds, probably less, away from being unleased, is a bit of a thought) I think it teaches one, at least myself it did, to respect firearms even more. I do walk around with one in the hole now, it was hard to get used to at first.

Ravenhawk

imported post

Really depends on when/where Im at.

I would honestly say that I have a round chambered in my Hi point 40% of the time. The safety id easilly switched off with gun in hand so thats not a problem/hinderence if quick draw/quick fire is required.

ALWAYS check chamber

Finger on trigger ONLY when ready to shoot

Be aware of the direction/background your gun in pointed at ALL times if you carry loaded!