• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

One In the Hole?

jonnyjeeps

imported post

This may seem like a silly question but do mostof youcarry, concealed or open, with one in the hole ready to fire? I ask because I had this strange uncomfortable feeling the other day when I loaded my pistol cocked and locked it and remembered there was no manual trigger safety on it(SA XD). Obviously if the need arises to use the gun it will take seconds more to cock it as well as two hands, which in the wrong situatuation may prove detrimental. But on the other hand it does feel a little less safe beimg ready to fire with automatic safeties. Any input or opinion would be appreciated.

eBratt

imported post

I carry a Springfield XD9 4" service model almost daily with one in the chamber. As long as you have a holster that covers the trigger, you shouldn't have any problems.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

I usually OC, a SW Sigma 9mm, usually charged, not always.

When I do CC, it is always chargd and ready to go.

Agent6-3/8

imported post

Some will disagree, and their welcome to. However, I'm a firm believer that if you're going to carrya handgun for SD it needs to be read to fire the instant you clear leather. The arguement, "but I can draw and rack the slide in XZY seconds" holds no water. Regardless of how fast a person can draw and rack the slide, that same about of time could be used putting round on target. That fraction of time could make all the difference in the world.

Its sort of a natural feeling for carrying with one in teh pipe to give you the willies at fisrt, but I assure you the gun won't fire on its own. And remember, your XD has a grip safety. If you use a quality that covers the trigger, you have nothing to worry about.

G27

imported post

When I first bought my GLOCKI was very hesitant on carry in condition zero. The first few times all I could think about was a loaded gun on my hip that had no manual saftey. After awhile you don't even think about it. A good holster is key. Get rid of that holster you got with the XD and get a Serpa if you haven't already. A gun isn't going to fire unless YOU pull the trigger or a horrible, horrible holster and your clothing some how snags it. Which would be slim of happening, but I've seen stranger.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

When I carry my P89 there is always one in the pipe with the safety one. I can sweep the safety off as I draw, I may start carrying with the safety off, but mainly worry about having to use my weapon and having some dumbass prosecutor make a big deal about "the safety being off" The damn thing is there for my safety not the safety of the person I am pointing the gun at.

When I carry my revolver, the condition speaks for itself.

Steve

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
When I carry my P89 there is always one in the pipe with the safety one. I can sweep the safety off as I draw, I may start carrying with the safety off, but mainly worry about having to use my weapon and having some dumbass prosecutor make a big deal about "the safety being off" The damn thing is there for my safety not the safety of the person I am pointing the gun at.

When I carry my revolver, the condition speaks for itself.

Steve
How do you figure the prosecutor would know the safety was off? The only way I could figure is video evidence, otherwise I think that would be very hard for any witness to notice or to look for amid a shooting.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

openryan wrote:
How do you figure the prosecutor would know the safety was off? The only way I could figure is video evidence, otherwise I think that would be very hard for any witness to notice or to look for amid a shooting.

I tend to honestly answer most questions asked. I do not think it would be an issue, Washington laws are pretty solid, but I lived two years in San Diego, and the thinking habits of down there are still a bit too deeply engraved. *sigh*

At any rate it is the sort of stupid things people have been known to blow out of proportion.

Steve

Mainsail

imported post

Mine is always loaded when I’m carrying it, and that means there’s one in the chamber and the magazine is full.

Why would anyone carry in a condition that requires two hands to make operable? If I need one hand to hold a person off, how would I chamber a round?

If you’re uncomfortable carrying with a round in the chamber, then by all means don’t, but be aware of the limitations.

Agent 47

imported post

Remember that the action of racking a round into the chamber from the slide closed / full magazine position is the most likely way to jam your gun especially in a heat of the moment panic situation. You are much more likely to either short stroke the slide and not pick up the round out of the magazine or ride the slide forward, ( this, even if you only barely ride it forward, will cause the round to not seat fully into the chamberandjamalmost everypistol ) I would say in a real situation ( or even a realistic training situation ) the likelihood of jamming your pistol in a maneuver like this is about 70%, not good odds. I always carry with one in the pipe and I rely on the safeties built into the guns I carry and a good holster to keep me safe.

Cue-Ball

imported post

eBratt wrote:
I carry a Springfield XD9 4" service model almost daily with one in the chamber.
Same here. I practice good muzzle and trigger control, so I don't have any fears about a negligent discharge. While you could theoretically draw and rack the gun very quickly, the half second you spend could mean the difference between life and death.

One in the chamber and a full magazine. Always.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

If you're not comfortable carrying a loaded gun, then maybe you should seek some more training and information.

I also carry a SA XD .45 compact with one in the chamber and a full mag. Everything about the gun is designed to be carried this way as it provides the fastest and most effective way of deploying your weapon in a defensive situation.

Use good judgement and a good holster, and you should be fine.

gregma

imported post

I carry a full-sized service pistol, one in the pipe, safety on, decocked. All I have to do is draw, flick off the safety (which can be done while drawing,) aim, shoot.
I'll leave the Israeli carry to the Israeli's :)