Thread: College Campus

Post imported post

I am from PA and I have a CCW and I visit my girlfriend all the time at her college. I have searched and searched for a section that covers a law for or against CC on a PA college campus. I haven't found anything saying I can't but I remember reading something after the VA tech attack that said if only people could carry on campus. is that a VA law or a US law.

Post imported post

Nope, no law prohibiting either concealed or open carry on college campuses in PA. You can be asked to leave because you're in violation of school policies, and if you refuse to comply, you can be charged with trespassing. But there is no law on the books that prohibits the act of carrying on a college campus, at least in PA.

Code:
    ยง 912.  Possession of weapon on school property.
    (b)  Offense defined.--A person commits a misdemeanor of the
    first degree if he possesses a weapon in the buildings of, on
    the grounds of, or in any conveyance providing transportation to
    or from any elementary or secondary publicly-funded educational
    institution, any elementary or secondary private school licensed
    by the Department of Education or any elementary or secondary
    parochial school.
    (c)  Defense.--It shall be a defense that the weapon is
    possessed and used in conjunction with a lawful supervised
    school activity or course or is possessed for other lawful
    purpose.
    So, even if it were a K-12 school, carrying a firearm for self-defense has not yet been proven to not fall under "other lawful purposes".

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

Like most states, including Virginia, Pennsylvania has no law banning gun carry on college campuses generally, nor concealed carry pursuant to a proper license, even if you are a student at that college.

However, campus officials may take administrative action against students OF THAT college for violation of college "rules."

Rules against gun carry on state college campuses would appear to not apply to members of the public, however campus officials may seek to eject you from the campus, even though the legality of that action would be dubious at least as to the portions of the campus held open to the public. See generally, Op. Attny. Gen., 05-078 (Va. 2006), available at http://www.vcdl.org/pdf/OP-05-078.pdf.

State Researcher
    Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

the list of places that carry is not legal is short.
    See:
    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum61/3424.html
    for the list.

Post imported post

thanks for the info. after looking at the colleges handbook, i learned that the students aren't allowed to own nor carry a weapon. so I think I will continue to keep mine for protection until I am told not to by the college.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

Bolt06 wrote:
    thanks for the info. after looking at the colleges handbook, i learned that the students aren't allowed to own nor carry a weapon. so I think I will continue to keep mine for protection until I am told not to by the college.
    Penn State bans ownership? Huh?

Post imported post

Its a school policy, nothing more. Fail to follow or obey their rules and you coud get kicked out of the shool. Both my kids went to PSU.