• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

College Campus

Bolt06

imported post

I am from PA and I have a CCW and I visit my girlfriend all the time at her college. I have searched and searched for a section that covers a law for or against CC on a PA college campus. I haven't found anything saying I can't but I remember reading something after the VA tech attack that said if only people could carry on campus. is that a VA law or a US law.

imperialism2024

imported post

Nope, no law prohibiting either concealed or open carry on college campuses in PA. You can be asked to leave because you're in violation of school policies, and if you refuse to comply, you can be charged with trespassing. But there is no law on the books that prohibits the act of carrying on a college campus, at least in PA.

Code:
§ 912.  Possession of weapon on school property.
(b)  Offense defined.--A person commits a misdemeanor of the
first degree if he possesses a weapon in the buildings of, on
the grounds of, or in any conveyance providing transportation to
or from any elementary or secondary publicly-funded educational
institution, any elementary or secondary private school licensed
by the Department of Education or any elementary or secondary
parochial school.
(c)  Defense.--It shall be a defense that the weapon is
possessed and used in conjunction with a lawful supervised
school activity or course or is possessed for other lawful
purpose.
So, even if it were a K-12 school, carrying a firearm for self-defense has not yet been proven to not fall under "other lawful purposes".

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Like most states, including Virginia, Pennsylvania has no law banning gun carry on college campuses generally, nor concealed carry pursuant to a proper license, even if you are a student at that college.

However, campus officials may take administrative action against students OF THAT college for violation of college "rules."

Rules against gun carry on state college campuses would appear to not apply to members of the public, however campus officials may seek to eject you from the campus, even though the legality of that action would be dubious at least as to the portions of the campus held open to the public. See generally, Op. Attny. Gen., 05-078 (Va. 2006), available at http://www.vcdl.org/pdf/OP-05-078.pdf.

Bolt06

imported post

thanks for the info. after looking at the colleges handbook, i learned that the students aren't allowed to own nor carry a weapon. so I think I will continue to keep mine for protection until I am told not to by the college.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Bolt06 wrote:
thanks for the info. after looking at the colleges handbook, i learned that the students aren't allowed to own nor carry a weapon. so I think I will continue to keep mine for protection until I am told not to by the college.
Penn State bans ownership? Huh?

Steve in PA

imported post

Its a school policy, nothing more. Fail to follow or obey their rules and you coud get kicked out of the shool. Both my kids went to PSU.