• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Article I $ 21 Defense Fund for Greg Rotz's appeal of his Orwellian LTCF revocation

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Sheriff's 1st letter to Greg: http://www.gnbrotz.com/images/sheriffletter.jpg

Sheriff's 2d letter to Greg: [url]http://www.gnbrotz.com/images/revocation.jpg[/url]

This incredible development calls for invocation of the NATO doctrine - an attack on Greg Rotz is an attack on all gun owners!

This case is what we have been waiting for in Pennsylvania to put to rest rumors of risk to your LTCF for lawful open carry. Greg has promised to donate any remaining money to the PA Firearm Owners Association.

[align=center]
[/align]

[align=center]
Article I $ 21 Defense Fund for Greg Rotz[/align]

[align=left]Greg needs at least $2,500 to initiate legal action by bright and early Tuesday morning - that's why OCDO needs all members to give some money to Greg via his pay pal account - go directly to
http://www.paypal.com, click "send money," then "send money online," to Greg's account by entering: gnbrotz at embarqmail dot com.

If you can, we ask you give $121 in commemoration of Article I, § 21 of the Pennsylvania constitution which provides that:
[/align]

[align=center]"The right of the citizens to bear arms in defence of themselves and the State shall not be questioned."[/align]

[align=left]The nutshell facts in this case are as follows: Greg went to vote openly carrying his handgun. A constable asked him not to do so, and Greg politely agreed to a consensual interview about the matter before voting; but after reviewing the law with Greg, the Constable indicated to Greg it was not unlawful for him to carry at the polls and that he would not stop him from voting - Greg voted, and left. A few days later Greg received an Orwellian revocation letter from the Franklin County Sheriff at http://www.gnbrotz.com/images/revocation.jpg.

I personally can vouch for Greg and I personally just sent him $121. Please do what YOU can, right NOW. Let's roll!

For more background, see: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum46/5845.html& http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed-open-carry-121/11309-hassled-polls-ocing.html

[/align]

Skuggi

imported post

This is complete and total bull, as soon as I get our google adsense check that will be going straight to his paypal.

also crossposted to penncdl.org (yea still around) I'm working 75 hours a week it sucks but might pull an all nighter researching anything to help greg out.

Hell, i'm steamed enough to try and write legislation forcing a court hearing before a revocation of a licence. There is no checks and balances on this system.

imported post

Just a suggestion: filing a civil action is commendable, but has anyone considered contacting a state legislator and discussing having this sheriff tried in the legislature? Most states have laws which allow such a hearing before the house of representatives. Take the offense where the guilty party stands to suffer, personally. Such an action would certainly garner more media attention than just another civil suit.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
Just a suggestion: filing a civil action is commendable, but has anyone considered contacting a state legislator and discussing having this sheriff tried in the legislature? Most states have laws which allow such a hearing before the house of representatives. Take the offense where the guilty party stands to suffer, personally. Such an action would certainly garner more media attention than just another civil suit.
We will "try" this Sheriff in the press as soon as either he backs down or the Court of Common Pleas reverses him; after all, the Court reviews revocation de novo.

imperialism2024

imported post

Has anyone looked up the specific statute that the license is being revoked under?

§ 6109. Licenses.
(e) Issuance of license.--
(1) A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle and shall be issued if, after an investigation not to exceed 45 days, it appears that the applicant is an individual concerning whom no good cause exists to deny the license. A license shall not be issued to any of the following:
(i) An individual whose character and reputation is such that the individual would be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety.

:uhoh:

Once again, at a loss for words.

So what basis does the sheriff even have as to Mr. Rotz's "character and reputation"? Oh, a letter in which the sheriff himself admitted that what Mr. Rotz is doing is indeed legal.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Once again, at a loss for words.

So what basis does the sheriff even have as to Mr. Rotz's "character and reputation"? Oh, a letter in which the sheriff himself admitted that what Mr. Rotz is doing is indeed legal.
Right. But also look closely at the Sheriff's first letter - the letter implies harassment of OCers even though the Sheriff should know that the PA Supreme Court has said police may not detain people for mere gun carry. Commonwealth v. Hawkins,692 A.2d 1068 (Pa.1997) (report of citizen gun carry not per se grounds for terry stop; "In all parts of Pennsylvania, persons who are licensed may carry concealed firearms. 18 Pa.C.S.§ 6108. Except in Philadelphia, firearms may be carried openly without a license. See Ortiz v. Commonwealth, 545 Pa. 279, 283, 681 A.2d 152, 155 (1996) ("only in Philadelphia must a person obtain a license for carrying a firearm whether it is unconcealed or concealed; in other parts of the Commonwealth, unconcealed firearms do not require a license")"), available at [url]http://www.courts.state.pa.us/opposting/supreme/opinions/0497pdf/k00jiz95.pdf[/url].

Thundar

imported post

Wow, this is quite a pearl.

I am not defending the Sheriff, but perhaps he has been misinformed. If he does not recant in short order, then there is only one course of action.Make an example of this Sheriff. If he gets away with this, others will do it. If the pain he feels is massive and unmerciful, other sheriffs will respect you rights.

How can you make him feel the pain?

FOIA -Freedom of Information Act requests are quite effective and are often a treasure trove of valuable information.

Open Carry at every opportunity. If asked by a LEO why are you open carrying? Answer:Because I want to before the Sheriff arbitrarily violates my 2nd and 14th amendment rights. Ensure that the Sheriff understands that his actions have not tamped down those uppety OC people. His actions have caused the number of persons open carrying to increase exponentially.

Letters to the Editor - Explain the outrage. Frame this as what it is. A vindictive action to suppress lawful activity.

Open Carry Events - Have a get together at a local restaurant. Invite local press. Let tthe press see that it is normal. Enjoy the camaraderie.

MotivateLocal Politicians- Many are very sympathetic to concerned citizens. Many are more concerned about being re-elected. Push the buttons.

Start a Tourism Boycott - Contact the Tourism Bureau -E-mail proclaiming a boycott because of the un-Aamerican actions of the sheriff will upset many that rely upon tourism.

The courses of action are limited only by your imagination.

P.S. Do not count on any help from the NRA - Negotiate your Rights Away group. Many there are openly opposed to open carry.

Skuggi

imported post

just a note: until he gets his legal councel hold off on media stuff. want to make sure everything is in sync. But plan away, god knows I am.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

The main thing is for folks to contribute to Greg right now so he gets a good start with legal counsel this coming week.

We can do press stuff, an open carry press conference in that County etc. later after greg gets his LTCF restored.

So if you are commenting on this thread, I hope that means you already gave somthing!

imported post

Thundar,

You're on the right track. Now, take it one step further. Round up some serious volunteers. Take turns camping out on his driveway's entrance to the street. Make it personal, which it is. Hold up signs, letting every one of his neighbors know they live near a criminal, him. Find out where his favorite restaurant is. Ask the staff not to serve him. If they refuse, stand outside, holding signs letting the OTHER patrons know just what type of people this establishment serves. Call in to local talk radio, letting their listeners know just what kind of sheriff they have, in the event they don't already know. Contact the local newspaper and demand they reveal the sheriff for what he truly is. Remind them Benjamin Franklin once said, "the newspapers are to be the watchdogs of liberty." Ask them how they'd grade themselves. If you encounter the sheriff anywhere in public, let the sheriff and everyone within earshot know just how little respect you have for him due to his criminal behavior. I'm sure you can expand it from here.

imperialism2024

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
Thundar,

You're on the right track. Now, take it one step further. Round up some serious volunteers. Take turns camping out on his driveway's entrance to the street. Make it personal, which it is. Hold up signs, letting every one of his neighbors know they live near a criminal, him. Find out where his favorite restaurant is. Ask the staff not to serve him. If they refuse, stand outside, holding signs letting the OTHER patrons know just what type of people this establishment serves. Call in to local talk radio, letting their listeners know just what kind of sheriff they have, in the event they don't already know. Contact the local newspaper and demand they reveal the sheriff for what he truly is. Remind them Benjamin Franklin once said, "the newspapers are to be the watchdogs of liberty." Ask them how they'd grade themselves. If you encounter the sheriff anywhere in public, let the sheriff and everyone within earshot know just how little respect you have for him due to his criminal behavior. I'm sure you can expand it from here.
In theory that would be even better... but if this sheriff isn't too much of a fan of following the law in the first place, what is going to stop him from having protestors locked up on trumped-up charges? Or from, perhaps, shooting them because they pointed a non-existant gun at him?

I have an even better solution, but not one that I'm going to state on a public forum :uhoh: