• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Veterans' Day Related Encounter

possumboy

imported post

OC'ed in Bob Evans in Richmond off of West Broad Street today. Had a man come up to me - while setting there with my family - and tell me his brother died because of "that" gun.

I immediately became defensive and ask him just how my gun killed his brother. He pulled a chair over and told me this:

Him and his younger brother were drafted into WWII. When it was over, he came home and his brother wanted to make a career of the Army. His brother was serving in Korea and was shot down by enemy fire. There were details of his service in the story also.

At this point, I'm still wondering what this has to do with my gun.

He then patted his "hip" and said "Too many people forget how many people died to protect our rights. Too many forget that without those people dying, we would not have the right for those stupid people to lie down in protest of guns. Too many people don't have the nerve to wear their rights on their hips. I wear mine in memory of my brother that died fighting to protect my rights, all of them. Not just the ones that people are comfortable with."

I kinda sit back and said "WOW" because that was the last thing I was expecting. My daughter asked "Are you a solider?"
He replied "I was"
My daughter and son then said "Thank you for want you did for us."
My heart swelled with pride in them and the old man just about cried.

imported post

It's refreshing to read of such a story, which is in direct conflict with the many encounters I've had with veterans who OPPOSE open carry. When you ask them why they went to war (WW2), it's always "to protect our freedoms." But when you try to explain how open carry is one of those "freedoms," they hemhaw around and start to rationalize "reasonable restrictions." You can't have it both ways.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

mrguppy wrote:
from the sound of things he is the type of person that this world needs more of
Yes; and perhaps this anecdote explains why some people call them "The Greatest Generation".

Many of today's voters and politicians come from either the Me Generation, or Generation Whine, so it shouldn't surprise us that we don't run into too many people like the veteran above.

VApatriot

imported post

God bless that man and his brave brother.

Somethinga little of topic, but related to Veterans' Day. EVERYONE should see The World at War series. It is a documentary of WWII that wasdone in the 60s. If that doesn't make you think long and hard about the meaning of freedom and sacrifice, I would very politelyask you to get the hell out of my country.

AbNo

imported post

I wasn't carrying (don't ask), but I had an excellent conversation with a Korean and WW II Veteran, and their wives at Golden Corral today.

It was so crowded, they put three parties of two at the same table.

Still, everyone there had a great time, and I enjoyed talking to those great people as much as they said they enjoyed talking to us.

WWII Vet's wife: "I think it's good for us to talk to the young people from time to time." :D

She also looked quite surprised when I told her I was 25.

Why do people have to keep ribbing me about that alpha-hole that was our last president when I tell people where I'm from... :(

Still, I rate going to GC a 5 Banana affair. :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Marco

imported post

AbNo wrote:
I'm a (young) Vet that OC's. Does that count for anything?
As a veteran and a man almost twice your age ;)you bet it does.
Look at all the young people who have lost their lives for our freedoms and those willing to sacrifice theirs if needed (non war time), even if it is just for college money.

We should respect all vets young and oldfor the sacrifice they made.

AbNo

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:

That's nice. Do you have anything positive or appropriate to add to this Vet-appreciation thread, or are you just trying to sully it with your own vitriol?

'cause if not, just go ahead and find another thread, mmk?

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Amazing story! Thank God for veterans! We forget them too often; all the sacrifices they have made for the freedoms that are being taken away from us. Especially the ones who died over all the years...It's sad that we are adding to thathorrible total every day over in Iraq. I am not anti-war, but I am anti how is war is being fought.If our boys are going to spill their blood for this country, lets make sure it's for a good reason, and let's not giveour militaryabook of stupid rules of engagement that a bunch of lowlife politicians came up with that only get more Americans killed.

imported post

The rulers spew their illegal, immoral, unconstitutional decrees and the gullible troops march to carry out the killing, thereby making our country LESS safe. "Our boys" are not spilling their blood for our country, but for the interests of the corporate sponsored neocons. Since none of you here will agree with anything I say, ask Dr. Paul and he'll back me up. Maybe some of you will respect him.............

AbNo

imported post

So... Vitriol it is. Thank you for taking an excellent topic, and turning it into a little soap box for your whining.

Hey Pierce, or Longwatch, can we get a little clean-up, please?

Someone got hate and BS on my shoes. Please remove my responses to him, as well. I hate to think I'm contributing to the mess in here.