• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Veterans' Day Related Encounter

AbNo

imported post

dngreer wrote:
Amazing story!  Thank God for veterans!  We forget them too often; all the sacrifices they have made for the freedoms that are being taken away from us.  Especially the ones who died over all the years...It's sad that we are adding to that horrible total every day over in Iraq.  I am not anti-war, but I am anti how is war is being fought.  If our boys are going to spill their blood for this country, lets make sure it's for a good reason, and let's not give our military a book of stupid rules of engagement that a bunch of lowlife politicians came up with that only get more Americans killed.

You know, things are actually going a lot better over there than the AP would have you believe.

And can we please keep this on Vet's Day encounters, please?

Leave the war-rants at home, or start one in General.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I'm not starting a rant...sorry I offended you. I was just saying what I believe. As those beliefs have not been formed from the AP; trust me. I have friends who have served in Iraq, and from those first hand accounts, and from multiple other military members, I have formed my opinion. As I said, it wasn't intended to be a rant.

AbNo

imported post

dngreer wrote:
I'm not starting a rant...sorry I offended you.  I was just saying what I believe. 

No no, I'm not saying you are, I'm just requesting we leave this a positive thread.

War and Veterans, while intertwined, are seperate for the purposes of this thread. :D

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I saw this in the lobby of DeWitt Army Medical Center today. I couldn't read the attribution. If you can tell me the author, I'd be extremely pleased to give credit:

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in ... life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount 'up to and including my life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer can conceptualize it."

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

The rulers spew their illegal, immoral, unconstitutional decrees and the gullible troops march to carry out the killing, thereby making our country LESS safe. "Our boys" are not spilling their blood for our country, but for the interests of the corporate sponsored neocons. Since none of you here will agree with anything I say, ask Dr. Paul and he'll back me up. Maybe some of you will respect him......

Yeah, yeah I know
Death to all tyrants and the fools will rue the day.
Heard it all before in the 60's...get some new material.

On the other hand...
damn good story, thanks!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Tess wrote:
I saw this in the lobby of DeWitt Army Medical Center today. I couldn't read the attribution. If you can tell me the author, I'd be extremely pleased to give credit:

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in ... life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount 'up to and including my life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer can conceptualize it."

There is nothing more to be said except THANK YOU, ALL!

Yata hey