Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you HAVE to pull over for unmarked police car?

Post imported post

I've seen quite a few people driving old Crown Vics, the police-package ones with flood lights and all; in Fairfax "pretending" to act like LEO's. I say pretending because they dont turn on any lights or anything they just like to drive very fast and scare the sheep that really think they are LEO's.

A couple weeks ago I had one tail me at about 75mph on I395. He was all pissed off because I would not get out of the way for him like all the other people. He passed me on right side and as I looked in, it was just a couple of thug-wanna be's with DC plates.

Anyway, in VA do you HAVE to pull over for unmarked PD cars? I would if they look legit and have the professional looking light bars and all. But frankly, if I saw an old beat up Crown Vic with a dash light; I do not think I would pull over or even slow down for them. How big of a charge would I catch for not pulling over for a legit undercover police car. Do you think the judge would understand?

State Researcher
    Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

I wouldn't.
    I would call 911 immediately.

Post imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
    I wouldn't.
    I would call 911 immediately.
    they take the siren and air horn out of the vehicles before they sell them. You only have to yield to the vehicle if it has lights and an audible device(siren, air horn, exhaust whistle)

lemme try and find the code section... any leo's wanna help?

found it!

§ 46.2-829. Approach of law-enforcement or fire-fighting vehicles, rescue vehicles, or ambulances; violation as failure to yield right-of-way.
    Upon the approach of any emergency vehicle as defined in § 46.2-920 giving audible signal by siren, exhaust whistle, or air horn designed to give automatically intermittent signals, and displaying a flashing, blinking, or alternating emergency light or lights as provided in §§ 46.2-1022 through 46.2-1024, the driver of every other vehicle shall, as quickly as traffic and other highway conditions permit, drive to the nearest edge of the roadway, clear of any intersection of highways, and stop and remain there, unless otherwise directed by a law-enforcement officer, until the emergency vehicle has passed. This provision shall not relieve the driver of any such vehicle to which the right-of-way is to be yielded of the duty to drive with due regard for the safety of all persons using the highway, nor shall it protect the driver of any such vehicle from the consequences of an arbitrary exercise of such right-of-way.
    Violation of this section shall constitute failure to yield the right-of-way; however, any violation of this section that involves overtaking or passing a moving emergency vehicle giving an audible signal and displaying activated warning lights as provided for in this section shall constitute reckless driving, punishable as provided in § 46.2-868.
    (Code 1950, § 46-241; 1958, c. 541, § 46.1-225; 1960, c. 570; 1966, cc. 613, 699; 1968, c. 89; 1976, c. 754; 1984, c. 539; 1985, c. 462; 1989, c. 727; 1993, c. 579.)

also you can call the non-emergency number (usually on the back of your personal property sticker) and ask if the individual pulling you over is in fact a LEO. some depts even have a 3-1-1 number you can dial for non emergencys

hope that helps

happy carrying,

jason

Super Secret Squirrel Bunker, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

One of my favorites... The short answer is yes, you MUST, by law pull over for an allegedly unmarked police vehicle. Every time an impersonator pulls someone over in NoVA it's big news and the PD puts their PIO out there to give them instructions on how to get raped and killed.

drive to a well lit area and pull over for the nice rapist and ask for id.

:shock:

It's more than that, but you get the idea. Here's the rub. If you ever try this 'drive at the speed limit until' safe to pull over, it absolutely infuriates the cop- if it is one -trying to stop you. Good luck trying to get a warning.

Honestly, unmarked cars have no business pulling people over unless it's for a known violent felon operating a vehicle and suspected of a crime.

Post imported post

Mr. Y wrote:
    One of my favorites... The short answer is yes, you MUST, by law pull over for an allegedly unmarked police vehicle. Every time an impersonator pulls someone over in NoVA it's big news and the PD puts their PIO out there to give them instructions on how to get raped and killed.

drive to a well lit area and pull over for the nice rapist and ask for id.

:shock:

It's more than that, but you get the idea. Here's the rub. If you ever try this 'drive at the speed limit until' safe to pull over, it absolutely infuriates the cop- if it is one -trying to stop you. Good luck trying to get a warning.

Honestly, unmarked cars have no business pulling people over unless it's for a known violent felon operating a vehicle and suspected of a crime.
    The problem with this is I have never been pulled over in my county. I had no means of using the non-emergency number.

I had a friend who cracked her window enough to provide ID and asked for the non-emergency number of the dispatcher to verify the unmarked cruiser.

Post imported post

Having worked proac in completely non-descript vehicles (as opposed to unmarked, which really only lack a light bar, decals, and sometimes a partition), this was never a big deal. You just factor it into your job. The first thing is you don't make a chippy stop. For crying out loud, you have a radio, dispatcher and a horde that you can bring down on some ass clown that zips by at 80-90.

Second, you don't attempt to pull them over yourself. Talk about putting yourself into a situation where you could easily get hurt - not uniformed, long hair, beard (okay it was the 70's), and driving a confiscated muscle car with plates that returned to some nobody. Even a cop wouldn't know I was a cop. When the need for a stop comes up, let a marked unit make it for you.

Typical unmarked vehicle emergency lights are available all over the net without any trouble for anyone wanting to rig themselves up for mall-ninja work; so it's not a bad idea to confirm the stop with the dispatcher. That is sometimes easier said than done. Cell to 911 may not connect you to that agency. If you find the right agency, you may get stuck with a call receiver that has no clue what the vehicles are doing.

Post imported post

For those that do not like the idea of cops in unmarked cars stopping people.... too bad, so sad! Unmarked cars witnessing traffic violations are not going to call for a marked unit to stop the car. This is just not practical and is a waste of resources. For every unmarked car on the street... you wouldneed a companion marked cruiser in service.

Motorists get stopped every day by unmarked police cars. When the driver approaches your window you can see them in uniform. When you see it is a cop you can roll down the window or ask for photo ID. You also have the option to activate your hazards to indicate you see the cop and pull over in a busy parking lot or a well lit area.

You can always call 911 and ask if areal cop is stopping you or have an officer sent out to your location to confirm it. Depending on your location.. you can have Federal, State, County, City, Town, or Metro police pulling you over.

Are there some fake cops in copy cat cars? Ya... How many are decked out with lights and used to pull people over? Not very many. Your chances on getting stopped by a fake cop are not very good.

Real cops are going to eventually turn on the siren and this will draw attention. You may also see a marked cruiser pull in behind as backup depending on howfar you have traveled.

But you do have to stop for unmarked cars.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

underthebridge wrote:
    SNIPdown on some ass clown that zips by at 80-90.
    Interesting wording. I was under the impression that it was a local dialect native to semi-competent police in Manassas, Virginia.

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

You can always call 911 and ask if areal cop is stopping you or have an officer sent out to your location to confirm it. Depending on your location.. you can have Federal, State, County, City, Town, or Metro police pulling you over.
    Not on bike you can't. You've got to make a split second decision about whether or not they're a cop, or idiot. Once back when I lived in MD I had a fed get on my bike's ass for a couple miles down Indian Head Hwy. He would not move off my ass - literally feet from myrear tire for at least 5 miles. I sped up, slowed down and pulled to the right to allow him by. No dice, he would have none of it. I got tired of his crap, pulled the the shoulder and hammered the brakes, got in behind him. As most LE, he didn't like that at all. At the ensuing trafficlight we had a heart to heart talk. At the end of our discussion I made sure he knew that I knew his plates, and description and we went along on our merry way. Arriving at home, I phoned a relative who works for a TLA. This person confirmedthe offender was FBI. Contact was made with his AIC, confirming he would not be doing that again...or driving a .gov vehicle for a while.

too bad, so sad indeed.

Now this guy was not activating his lights, but I could see he had them.

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    Are there some fake cops in copy cat cars? Ya...* How many are decked out with lights and used to pull people over? Not very many. Your chances on getting stopped by a fake cop are not very good.
    There was a big problem in Arkansas with this a few years ago...

http://www.arktimes.com/blogs/arkans...ht_rapist.aspx

Apparently, after they caught the FIRST guy, someone else said "Hey, what a great idea!", and started his own little gig.

I didn't know that about the hazards, though. I'll try and keep it in mind.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

As far as I remember, wehad the same problem here in Virginia about 12 years ago. Think they found the young woman's body in an abandoned well and never caught the bad guy. Apparently he tried it again (impersonating a cop) with another young woman who did not fall for the trick.

Post imported post

AbNo wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:
    Are there some fake cops in copy cat cars? Ya... How many are decked out with lights and used to pull people over? Not very many. Your chances on getting stopped by a fake cop are not very good.
    There was a big problem in Arkansas with this a few years ago...

http://www.arktimes.com/blogs/arkans...ht_rapist.aspx

Apparently, after they caught the FIRST guy, someone else said "Hey, what a great idea!", and started his own little gig.

I didn't know that about the hazards, though. I'll try and keep it in mind.
    As with all other crimes.... it can and will happen.

Ya... just turn on the hazards and that lets thePo-Po know you are aware they are behind you. You can also motion with your arm that you intend to pull over up ahead.

Post imported post

Mayday wrote:
    I've seen quite a few people driving old Crown Vics, the police-package ones with flood lights and all; in Fairfax "pretending" to act like LEO's. I say pretending because they dont turn on any lights or anything they just like to drive very fast and scare the sheep that really think they are LEO's.

A couple weeks ago I had one tail me at about 75mph on I395. He was all pissed off because I would not get out of the way for him like all the other people. He passed me on right side and as I looked in, it was just a couple of thug-wanna be's with DC plates.

Anyway, in VA do you HAVE to pull over for unmarked PD cars? I would if they look legit and have the professional looking light bars and all. But frankly, if I saw an old beat up Crown Vic with a dash light; I do not think I would pull over or even slow down for them. How big of a charge would I catch for not pulling over for a legit undercover police car. Do you think the judge would understand?

plus i think there is nothing that says you have to pull over immediately. take leos advice slow down and turn on the flashers then pull into the nearest well lit public place while calling 911 to confirm if you are unsure of whether that is really a cop pulling you over.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I don't know if the turn on the hazards and continue driving to a safer spot or till a marked unit shows up is a great idea either. I am almost certain that the cop will be ready to highlight all the bruises you acquired when you slipped and smashed your face into the hood.....15 times before you could get a word in otherwise.
    If you’re getting a blue light special you know you did something you shouldn't have done in front of a cop. Marked or not pull it over collect your bill from the nice uniformed tax assessor and be on your way.
    If it is an impersonator I am sure you’ll figure it out quick enough to hit the gas a go.
    Just drive sane, slow down, and stay out of the left lane if you are going so slow...if you’re passed on the right you’re in the wrong damn lane.

Post imported post

Toad wrote:
    I don't know if the turn on the hazards and continue driving to a safer spot or till a marked unit shows up is a great idea either. I am almost certain that the cop will be ready to highlight all the bruises you acquired when you slipped and smashed your face into the hood.....15 times before you could get a word in otherwise.
    If you’re getting a blue light special you know you did something you shouldn't have done in front of a cop. Marked or not pull it over collect your bill from the nice uniformed tax assessor and be on your way.
    If it is an impersonator I am sure you’ll figure it out quick enough to hit the gas a go.
    Just drive sane, slow down, and stay out of the left lane if you are going so slow...if you’re passed on the right you’re in the wrong damn lane.
    You are supposed to pull over as soon as practical. But if you want to go to a safer place and it is down the road a ways.. the cops know that if you hit the hazards that you intend to stopahead and not the next available spot along side the road.

Post imported post

An unmarked car with flashing lights wouldn't phase me. In fact, I've heard tell of some department using a confiscated pickup with a baby seat in the back for traffic duty. But if the person getting out of the car isn't in uniform, my foot is hitting the gas hard, and I'm dialing 911 as I go.

On the topic of waiting for a safe spot, I've actually had a cop yell at me for doing that once. In Galax county (like a mini Emporia), the cop came up from behind me on a 4 land divided road with no shoulder and a fair bit of traffic. I had to go 2 miles before there was finally a shoulder on that portion of Rt 460, and he was mad that I didn't stop on the spot....on a busy road with no shoulder. I guess he has a death wish, or just got off on having cars miss him by inches. Bear in mind that this same cop was standing next to some other car giving them a ticket when I passed him in the first place, yet he somehow magically knew what speed I was going as I passed.

Post imported post

vtme_grad98 wrote:
    An unmarked car with flashing lights wouldn't phase me. In fact, I've heard tell of some department using a confiscated pickup with a baby seat in the back for traffic duty. But if the person getting out of the car isn't in uniform, my foot is hitting the gas hard, and I'm dialing 911 as I go.

On the topic of waiting for a safe spot, I've actually had a cop yell at me for doing that once. In Galax county (like a mini Emporia), the cop came up from behind me on a 4 land divided road with no shoulder and a fair bit of traffic. I had to go 2 miles before there was finally a shoulder on that portion of Rt 460, and he was mad that I didn't stop on the spot....on a busy road with no shoulder. I guess he has a death wish, or just got off on having cars miss him by inches. Bear in mind that this same cop was standing next to some other car giving them a ticket when I passed him in the first place, yet he somehow magically knew what speed I was going as I passed.
    And you'd think with traffic stops being the #1 killer of cops they would thank someone who is looking out for their safety. I never understand why people stop in the MIDDLE OF THE ROAD in some places for the police. Pull off somewhere safe! For your safety and the safety of the cop.

Post imported post

Toad wrote:
    'ey Toad, read that link I posted above, or any of the dozens of articles on that guy, then tell me if you think everyone should just pull over ASAP, regardless of their surroundings.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

hsmith wrote:
    vtme_grad98 wrote:

And you'd think with traffic stops being the #1 killer of cops they would thank someone who is looking out for their safety. I never understand why people stop in the MIDDLE OF THE ROAD in some places for the police. Pull off somewhere safe! For your safety and the safety of the cop.
    Exactly... I have had people actually STOP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD!!! or stop in the worst possible spot when I can look ahead and see a turn lane.

All the cop can do is yell at you and you reply.. I wanted to find a better spot so it would be safer for both of us. What else can he say..

But there are some Gung-Ho cops that expect you to stop dead in your tracks.... Rookie cops!! :P

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

AbNo wrote:
    'ey Toad, read that link I posted above, or any of the dozens of articles on that guy, then tell me if you think everyone should just pull over ASAP, regardless of their surroundings.
    Perhaps the unwritten law word should be 'practicable' rather than 'possible' or 'practical'?

And perhaps the cop should think of his exposure when he blue-lights and wait until the site is obviously safe. 'Safety' being a good tool for tyrants since an officer may do as he pleases in the name of 'safety'.

Either we are equal or we are not.

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    AbNo wrote:

And perhaps the cop should think of his exposure when he blue-lights and wait until the site is obviously safe. ....

We are trained to waitfor an appropriate location ahead before activating the lights.

The discussion is more about the motorist choosing NOT to stop when directed and drivingfarther than normal to awell lighted and populated spot in fear that the unmarked vehicle is not a true LEO.

Post imported post

Well here is a idea. Only use marked cars for patrol use. That way there no doubt. The whole concept of using unmarked cars and hiding behind trees and signs on the highway seems like all the want to do is make money for the county. Sit out in the open and people will slow down, that is what we is it not?

Post imported post

On the topic of waiting for a safe spot, I've actually had a cop yell at me for doing that once.
    Start yelling first I like to yell at them when we mutually witness someone behaving stupidly, and dangerously. Back when I was from <cough> MD, I was weaving my way through WW bridge congestion between Telegraph andUS 1and some idiot minivan driver changed lanes into me without looking. I swerved andLiterally seconds after 2 FCPD moto cops rolled up beside me- violating Virginia's strict prohibition against riding 2 abreast, btw:P.

I yelled through my helmet at the closer one. Our exchange was quick and pleasant - he said "if I don't witness it I can't do anything". I said "Can you keep an eye on them?" He gave me the thumbs up and both rolled up on the minivan and followed. I lost track of them from there, but it was cool of them to "lend a hand" as much as they could... Even if they were violators:P

Not all cops areout to "get" you. The whole situation is probably going to be a bigger factor. Unfortunately, we have no way of knowing if the cop has had a bad day, got Youtubed last week or whatever so be cognizant of what you're doing, and how it may be perceived by others.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

OT Rant deleted re training, Godwin's Law

Post imported post

In some jurisdictions (Hawaii comes to mind), officers receive a stipend to drive their personal vehicles. You see all kinds of vehicles with blue lights on them, almost no regular marked cruisers. Not sure if they are required to be in uniform for stops, but it can be confusing to see all those different vehicles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast