• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do you HAVE to pull over for unmarked police car?

LEO 229

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
AbNo wrote:
'ey Toad, read that link I posted above, or any of the dozens of articles on that guy, then tell me if you think everyone should just pull over ASAP, regardless of their surroundings.

And perhaps the cop should think of his exposure when he blue-lights and wait until the site is obviously safe. ....

We are trained to waitfor an appropriate location ahead before activating the lights.

The discussion is more about the motorist choosing NOT to stop when directed and drivingfarther than normal to awell lighted and populated spot in fear that the unmarked vehicle is not a true LEO.

ChadW

imported post

Well here is a idea. Only use marked cars for patrol use. That way there no doubt. The whole concept of using unmarked cars and hiding behind trees and signs on the highway seems like all the want to do is make money for the county. Sit out in the open and people will slow down, that is what we is it not?

Mr. Y

Super Secret Squirrel Bunker, Virginia, USA
imported post

On the topic of waiting for a safe spot, I've actually had a cop yell at me for doing that once.
Start yelling first:dude: I like to yell at them when we mutually witness someone behaving stupidly, and dangerously. Back when I was from <cough> MD, I was weaving my way through WW bridge congestion between Telegraph andUS 1and some idiot minivan driver changed lanes into me without looking. I swerved andLiterally seconds after 2 FCPD moto cops rolled up beside me- violating Virginia's strict prohibition against riding 2 abreast, btw:p.

I yelled through my helmet at the closer one. Our exchange was quick and pleasant - he said "if I don't witness it I can't do anything". I said "Can you keep an eye on them?" He gave me the thumbs up and both rolled up on the minivan and followed. I lost track of them from there, but it was cool of them to "lend a hand" as much as they could... Even if they were violators:p

Not all cops areout to "get" you. The whole situation is probably going to be a bigger factor. Unfortunately, we have no way of knowing if the cop has had a bad day, got Youtubed last week or whatever so be cognizant of what you're doing, and how it may be perceived by others.

zoom6zoom

imported post

In some jurisdictions (Hawaii comes to mind), officers receive a stipend to drive their personal vehicles. You see all kinds of vehicles with blue lights on them, almost no regular marked cruisers. Not sure if they are required to be in uniform for stops, but it can be confusing to see all those different vehicles.

AbNo

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
AbNo wrote:
'ey Toad, read that link I posted above, or any of the dozens of articles on that guy, then tell me if you think everyone should just pull over ASAP, regardless of their surroundings.

And perhaps the cop should think of his exposure when he blue-lights and wait until the site is obviously safe.  ....

We are trained to wait for an appropriate location ahead before activating the lights.

The discussion is more about the motorist choosing NOT to stop when directed and driving farther than normal to a well lighted and populated spot in fear that the unmarked vehicle is not a true LEO.

Actually, fear of a non-LEO in an unmarked car is WHY I would want to wait until I'm in a lit, populated area....

jenzenk

imported post

I've always told my wife, if she gets pulled over by an unmarked car, roll down her window enough to speak to the "officer" and request a marked car and tell him/her why. If he refuses, call 911 on the spot and tell them you believe you are being stopped by someone impersonating a LEO. Give me a week, a credit card and a Galls catalog and I can look like cop too! Better in trouble than dead I say!

Personally, I'd rather have my wife get tickets and get yelled at by a real cop than end up figuring out how I get her life insurance payment.

PT111

imported post

A little common sense duing a traffic stop can go a long way but unfortunately it seems to be lacking today. A motion to the LEO that you are aware and waiting for a good place to pull over lets him know what to expect but don't make it 30 miles later as one did here in SC a few years ago.

On a similar topic if there is a minor fender bender get your cars out of the main line of traffic. I hear people say all the time that if you have an accident don't move your vehicle. Thank goodness the state has started putting up signs telling people to get out of harms way if possible. Nothing like two people blocking both lanes of rush hour traffic waiting for the po-po after a minor accident.

AbNo

imported post

PT111 wrote:
On a similar topic if there is a minor fender bender get your cars out of the main line of traffic.  I hear people say all the time that if you have an accident don't move your vehicle.  Thank goodness the state has started putting up signs telling people to get out of harms way if possible.  Nothing like two people blocking both lanes of rush hour traffic waiting for the po-po after a minor accident.

+10 on this one.

I was taking the on-ramp, going from VA33 to I81 North, and these two cars were stopped UNDER THE OVERPASS, and some idiot JMU sorostitute was walking from her car to the car in front of her.

I missed her by a good four inches.

LEO 229

imported post

ChadW wrote:
Well here is a idea. Only use marked cars for patrol use. That way there no doubt. The whole concept of using unmarked cars and hiding behind trees and signs on the highway seems like all the want to do is make money for the county. Sit out in the open and people will slow down, that is what we is it not?
Nice idea.... But if your talking about "patrol" you need to have a few unmarked cars available at all times.

There are far fewer unmarked cars than marked that are out there writing tickets. So this has nothing to do with revenue. If that was the case.... we would have ALL unmarked cars and catch even more traffic violations. Believe me.. there are plenty of motorists committing traffic violations to keep a marked cruiser busy all day.

Unmarked cars are used for a variety of other reasons. They have NOTHING to do with revenue.

If we aresearching for a subject running from the scene avoiding marked patrol cars... we should go back to the station and swap put our cars first for a designated unmarked?

Real bad drivers that risk the lives of others will slow down as soon as they see the marked cruiser. Then they start backup again when it is gone. The marked cruiser only prevents bad driving behavior for as long as it is visible. But the thought of a unmarked car out there will cause many more motorists to obey traffic laws.

You can catch those people who break the law all the time when a marked cruiser is not around. They scan the area and overlook the unmarked before running the red light.

Again.... giving someone a ticket for blowing a red light is to protect other motorists and pedestrians.... the money is just a punishment.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
hsmith wrote:
vtme_grad98 wrote:
An unmarked car with flashing lights wouldn't phase me. In fact, I've heard tell of some department using a confiscated pickup with a baby seat in the back for traffic duty. But if the person getting out of the car isn't in uniform, my foot is hitting the gas hard, and I'm dialing 911 as I go.

On the topic of waiting for a safe spot, I've actually had a cop yell at me for doing that once. In Galax county (like a mini Emporia), the cop came up from behind me on a 4 land divided road with no shoulder and a fair bit of traffic. I had to go 2 miles before there was finally a shoulder on that portion of Rt 460, and he was mad that I didn't stop on the spot....on a busy road with no shoulder. I guess he has a death wish, or just got off on having cars miss him by inches. Bear in mind that this same cop was standing next to some other car giving them a ticket when I passed him in the first place, yet he somehow magically knew what speed I was going as I passed.
And you'd think with traffic stops being the #1 killer of cops they would thank someone who is looking out for their safety. I never understand why people stop in the MIDDLE OF THE ROAD in some places for the police. Pull off somewhere safe! For your safety and the safety of the cop.
Exactly... I have had people actually STOP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD!!! or stop in the worst possible spot when I can look ahead and see a turn lane.

All the cop can do is yell at you and you reply.. I wanted to find a better spot so it would be safer for both of us. What else can he say.. ;)

But there are some Gung-Ho cops that expect you to stop dead in your tracks.... Rookie cops!! :p
Personally if it was an unmarked car, especially if it was not a crown vic, or an impalla, which they use around here, I would make an effort to get to a well lit area, or gas station if possible, if not I would try to call to confirm. Otherwise, I would do what was said earlier, wait till they got out, and if they are not in uniform, I am leaving.

I have always heard from people that cops can only ticket you if they are in uniform in an unmarked car, but they can be out of uniform and ticket you in a marked car, can anyone verify this? Sounded a bit silly, I don't take it as true, but was curious.

I have seen some people who have pulled over just yards away from a side street on a 2 lane road during rush hour, it backs up traffic for almost a half mile at that time of day, and you would at least think the officer would tell them to move up, or the driver have bit of common sense.

hsmith

imported post

AbNo wrote:
PT111 wrote:
On a similar topic if there is a minor fender bender get your cars out of the main line of traffic. I hear people say all the time that if you have an accident don't move your vehicle. Thank goodness the state has started putting up signs telling people to get out of harms way if possible. Nothing like two people blocking both lanes of rush hour traffic waiting for the po-po after a minor accident.

+10 on this one.

I was taking the on-ramp, going from VA33 to I81 North, and these two cars were stopped UNDER THE OVERPASS, and some idiot JMU sorostitute was walking from her car to the car in front of her.

oO that one cooks me. "How will the cops know who caused the accident!!" Probably the fact that your back bumper is crushed and their front bumper is crushed gives a good indication of who caused the accident :D

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

hsmith wrote:
AbNo wrote:
PT111 wrote:

+10 on this one.

oO that one cooks me. "How will the cops know who caused the accident!!" Probably the fact that your back bumper is crushed and their front bumper is crushed gives a good indication of who caused the accident :D
I have been in accidents where if I hadnt moved my vehicle it would have saved me a lot of money.

If it is a fender bender you should move, however, always keep a disposable camera in your glove box, and take a couple pictures before you move, it will help with any claims you make.