• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No Reciprocity

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

So I went over to Illinois today to watch the bears game. The bar I always go to is right across the street from one of those "police cameras" with the flashing lights, someone got murdered there about a year back.

I feel safe inside the bar, for the most part. But I do feel vulnerable when I do not have my weapon with me.

How many of you actively stay out of areas like these where you cannot carry, and why?

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

I'm with you on that one. Don't go to places that are known for high gang activity, especially if those places don't allow weapons. Even if I can't carry my gun, I have some other form of protection.

spyderdude

imported post

Situational awareness is the most important thing to have in order to stay safe. Whether I'm carrying or not (which most of the time I am), I try to keep an eye out on suspicious activity, but it isn't always easy. A gun on your hip or in your pocket is simply a tool to aid you in your survival, if you are caught off guard, the gun won't do you any good.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

spyderdude wrote:
Situational awareness is the most important thing to have in order to stay safe. Whether I'm carrying or not (which most of the time I am), I try to keep an eye out on suspicious activity, but it isn't always easy. A gun on your hip or in your pocket is simply a tool to aid you in your survival, if you are caught off guard, the gun won't do you any good.
Correct, I try to keep my awareness high at all times, regardless of weather I have a weapon or not, when things turn bad you only have seconds to react, sometimes less. I know some people up there with FOID cards, who do pack, so I know someone is equipped, however I would much rather it be myself. The only reason I still go is because there are some very good people up there, nice to converse with, and they do have all doors equipped with color video cameras and you must be buzzed in through 2 doors.

But as talked about in some other posts, and I think Hank even ripped into me once about it. If staying in Illinois for a prolonged period of time, or even in another state with no reciprocity, I would seriously have to weigh the risk/benefit to not carry concealed.

tarzan1888

imported post

openryan wrote:
So I went over to Illinois today to watch the bears game. The bar I always go to is right across the street from one of those "police cameras" with the flashing lights, someone got murdered there about a year back.

I feel safe inside the bar, for the most part. But I do feel vulnerable when I do not have my weapon with me.

How many of you actively stay out of areas like these where you cannot carry, and why?

Question;

Have you ever heard of Concealed Carry. :)

I would never advocate that anyone ever break any laws. I am just asking a question.

Tarzan

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
openryan wrote:

Question;

I would never advocate that anyone ever break any laws. I am just asking a question.

Tarzan
Yes, and I have. Although I weigh the risks and the benefits, the bar I speak of has had FBI come in several times to check the machines and look around, being in that setting I do not want to give them a reason for anything. Although leaving it in my vehicle is a different story, some places I pass through they will steal your wheels at a stop light.

I try not to break laws, and I do not think that I put myself above them when I do disregard them, speeding, carrying, whatever. But you have to think about it.

tarzan1888

imported post

openryan wrote:
tarzan1888 wrote:
openryan wrote:

Question;

Tarzan
Yes, and I have. Although I weigh the risks and the benefits, the bar I speak of has had FBI come in several times to check the machines and look around, being in that setting I do not want to give them a reason for anything. Although leaving it in my vehicle is a different story, some places I pass through they will steal your wheels at a stop light.

I try not to break laws, and I do not think that I put myself above them when I do disregard them, speeding, carrying, whatever. But you have to think about it.

Seriously I know what you are saying and we each have to decide what we will and won't do and how far we want to trust our safety to those we don't know.

I went on a trip to New York. I made a knotty walking stick that I carried on the plane, and with me on my trip. I practiced defensive uses of such walking sticks as taught to me by my FBI friend. I was as ready as I could be under the circumstances.

Tarzan

UTOC-45-44

imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
openryan wrote:

Question;

Tarzan

I agree but I don't go to places that I cannot carry at all. If I can avoid it. Sure, the court house and any other equally secured facility that I may have to go to I do put it in the car.

I haven't been to Nevada since 1998 due to I couldn't carry there. I can now, since Utah is 1 of the 8 states that they recognize reciprocity with. I will never go to New York or California even Hawaii ( or any other "anti" Utah permit state)

I know...MY choice

tarzan1888

imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
openryan wrote:
tarzan1888 wrote:
openryan wrote:

Question;

Tarzan

Seriously I know what you are saying and we each have to decide what we will and won't do and how far we want to trust our safety to those we don't know.

I went on a trip to New York. I made a knotty walking stick that I carried on the plane, and with me on my trip. I practiced defensive uses of such walking sticks as taught to me by my FBI friend. I was as ready as I could be under the circumstances.

Tarzan

Here is a picture of my Knotty Irish Stout Shillelaghs. The oneI took on the left and on the right is what I made to take the next time I go.

Tarzan
attachment.php

Anubis

imported post

openryan wrote:

I do. Icarry 100% of the time and avoid places--under normal circumstances--where such carry is illegal. My2 reasonsare (a) I am committed to the idea of always being armed and (b)I wish to avoid patronizing such businesses or areas.

The only time I disarm is when traversing IL on my way from CO to MI, one tripa year at most, to visit relatives. I know I could add another 500 miles to the trip and be legal all the way, but it's a long drive already. Either my COor FL concealed-carry permit isgood in all other states on on my route (KS, MO, IN, OH, MI).

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

As a 19 year old Alabama CHP holder, I have found it unfortunate that most of the state's that have reciprocity with Bama still won't recognize my permit because I do not meet their 21 and older requirements. This is a real problem for me because I do travel a lot to Florida, and am forced to go unarmed. (I read somewhere that it's legal to keep a gun in your glove box when you're 18, but what in the hell kind of good is that going to do you?) It is rather unnerving, especially for a small town fella like myself, going off to these bigger urban areas and seeing all of the depravity. Hell, where I grew up, our town had never even seen a mexican until around 1999 (we saw one Asian family one year at the Rattlesnake Rodeo).

Anyway, I digress. I most certainly do not like having to go unarmed in other states and do it as seldomly as possible.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The only state I frequent where the gov't says I cannot defend myself is Illinois where I have friends and family so I can't avoid it entirely. And yes I am uncomfortable being there unarmed and I am not always 100% in compliance with their self-disarming-hey-now-you're-a-target laws. When I go to KY, I go 15 miles out of my way so that I only have to travel for 1 mile in IL rather than 40 miles unarmed. Besides that, I do avoid places where I cannot carry legally. Between my CCW and OC laws I can carry in 35 states so I really don't see a need to go to those other 15 states.

ace1001

imported post

I will drive rather than fly....not drink in public...and never go back to Canada... all for my good right arm, as Lee called Jackson and I call my .45. Jesus said, If you do not have a sword, sell your cloke an buy one. Ace

FightingGlock19

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
The only state I frequent where the gov't says I cannot defend myself is Illinois where I have friends and family so I can't avoid it entirely. And yes I am uncomfortable being there unarmed and I am not always 100% in compliance with their self-disarming-hey-now-you're-a-target laws. When I go to KY, I go 15 miles out of my way so that I only have to travel for 1 mile in IL rather than 40 miles unarmed. Besides that, I do avoid places where I cannot carry legally. Between my CCW and OC laws I can carry in 35 states so I really don't see a need to go to those other 15 states.
I keep to my carry policy when I travel through Illinois. As long as you don't drive like you want to be pulled over, you'll be fine. I always am.

ace1001

imported post

Personally I don't want to be the posterchild for civil disobedience.:lol: Ace

FogRider

imported post

My folks live in SE Nebraska, and I feel pretty safe there so I don't worry to much about being gunless (I do keep a knife handy). If I drive there, I bring a gun but don't carry (OC is technically legal, but I don't have the time/money/patience to fight an out of state brandishing charge). If I fly, my weapons stay home, and I am a little nervous until I get to my folks place.

XD40coyote

imported post

Try LIVING in a facistcommieliberalpinko state. Legal "carry" in such assinine statesis also known as canis familaris. Well known deterant, as good as OC, so long as dog is big and of one of those certain breeds or breed mixes. Proven to protect female college students in Baltimore. Downside- they poop and pee and have to be fed and adored, and can stink, and you can't "carry" in stores and stuff. Maryland's lawmakers and the majority clueless idiots that elect them, just don't "get it". Bunch ofbraindead liberals.

I live 1 mile from a shall-issue state that also generally allows OC, ironic huh? North of the mason dixon= sunshine and 20 min handgun sales and 30 min ccw's, south of it= shadow of death, and 1 a month gun and 7 day waiting period and to get a ccw requires anal probes by space aliens, and organ donations. But dammit I can trap river otters and hunt small game with a semi auto as a MD resident, no- go in PA. LOL