• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why Carry Open

Hillbillly

imported post

Hi all...What I want to know is why carry open if you have a perment ...do you think it makes you a maco man or somthing or are ya just trouble makers...ya talk about being able to protect yourself and family well let me tell you that if I was going to rob or do some other thing I would look around and see who was my greatest threat....that would be the guy with the gun on his hip and boom you go first....I believe in the second ammendment and I do carry but the only time ya will see my gun is when ya see the muzzle flash and feel the hollow point hit you ...GROW UP AND COVER UP

Stealth Potato

imported post

Uh, welcome aboard? Though if I am to judge by the manner of your entry, you're not interested in a rational debate on the subject.

I certainly don't think open carry makes me a "maco" man, as you so catachrestically put it (I do like cotton, but not Egyptian specifically); it's a matter of convenience, comfort, rapid access, and public education. Also, for me, of necessity, since I do not yet have a "perment."

Your hypothetical scenario of a criminal being so bold as to waste any armed person in sight (including, presumably, police officers) when preparing to commit a robbery instead of, for example, finding a softer target, has to my knowledge never occurred.

compmanio365

imported post

Heh.....I liked that show, but I just couldn't get past the whole, "You're f***** up thecontinuity with your BS writing!" Other than that it was an OK show. It really did signal the death of Trek as we know it though......

compmanio365

imported post

Hillbillly wrote:
Hi all...What I want to know is why carry open if you have a perment ...do you think it makes you a maco man or somthing or are ya just trouble makers...ya talk about being able to protect yourself and family well let me tell you that if I was going to rob or do some other thing I would look around and see who was my greatest threat....that would be the guy with the gun on his hip and boom you go first....I believe in the second ammendment and I do carry but the only time ya will see my gun is when ya see the muzzle flash and feel the hollow point hit you ...GROW UP AND COVER UP
Nice "frist psot" there bud. I can tell you'll be the most welcomed new member around with an attitude like that. If you're here to learn something, then great, stick around, shut your mouth, and ask questions without attacking people; otherwise take your bullshit attitude and stick it, then get the hell off our forum. :banghead:

nathan

imported post

Star Trek was amazingly prescient. The communicator devices they used looked very similar to today’s flip phones. There are many examples like that.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Heh.....I liked that show, but I just couldn't get past the whole, "You're f***** up thecontinuity with your BS writing!" Other than that it was an OK show. It really did signal the death of Trek as we know it though......
Yeah it did screw with a lot of things... But it was fun!

I would claim DS9 was the begining of the end... Enterprise just gave us a rather entertaining way out. And that new movie that is coming out? I am so not going to see that.

Saint

imported post

Hillbillly wrote:
Lol... It's always nice to see someone come aboard an opencarry website and start out their first post with a flame against every member on here. This is only made better of course by the spelling and grammer which would lead me to believe the poster has roughly the same education as a four-year old. Not surprising given his name;)

As to the question of 'Why carry open"

There are several reasons.

1. I do not have a 'perment' (shall I assume this means Permit?) I am able to carry at age 18 in Idaho but cannot obtain a CCW from my state until age 21. Therefore, I do not have another option.

2. Guns are often portrayed by the media and news sources in a very negative sense. By carrying open as a responsible, trained citizen, I promote a positive image of gun ownership

3. 99% of criminals prefer to avoid confrontation (Read the book 'Guns, Crime and Freedom' to see a very enlightening study done of robbers in Florida.) Generally speaking, a bad guy will leave and go somewhere else instead of having to face someone who he knows has a weapon. This is the same reason why very few crimes are EVER committed when there is LEO present in the direct vicinity.

4. Finally, the Right to keep and BEAR arms is guaranteed by the constitution. I'd like to keep it that way. Therefore, I exercise the rights I am given to ensure they stay the way they are.

If you have any questions and can manage to write a complete sentence without using such words as 'Maco' or 'Perment' I'm sure you will find many members here happy to answer.

P.S... Welcome aboard! :p

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Nope.....I have no desire to see them screw up the history of Trek. Although I have to say, despite a few low points, I did enjoy Voyager.
I enjoyed Jeri Ryan:what:, err.... Voyager for the most part too...

Stealth Potato

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
I thought a "maco" were the guys on Enterprise with all the cool toys. Since it is not 2150 yet I don't see how OCing makes me a "maco man" http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/MACO

Okay I like certain TV shows just a tad too much...

Steve
Ah, I never did watch that particular series, so the first thing that came to my mind was the cotton. Bear in mind that when I say that I like cotton, I do not mean that I will eat it, not even if you cover it with chocolate first.

And yeah, DS9 was definitely the beginning of the downturn; I found it pretty silly most of the time. Definitely worse than Voyager IMHO, which was actually watchable on occasion. Probably my favorite was the original series, though it's been a while since I've watched it. And in further response to the esteemed Mr. Billy, I will adamantly deny that carrying openly makes me a redshirt. :)

Hillbillly

imported post

Well Campmanio....are you not infringing on my right of freedom of speech ...do you like it when someone does that about your gun rights...and yes I might not be able to spell so what....Now if everone on your OC site is as UPTIGHTand INSULTING as you I don't think I want to even try to understand what you are all about ( let a lone support ya )

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Because I can:p...:p...:p.

I OC when It's nice outside and CC when less appelling weather or when the circumstances "requires" it.

Hillbillly, I respect your opinon and I hope that you respect mine too. I choose to be flexible and it FEELS GREAT. I'M LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT.:celebrate.

Now you can see me...Now you can't:p

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Hillbillly wrote:
Well Campmanio....are you not infringing on my right of freedom of speech ...do you like it when someone does that about your gun rights...and yes I might not be able to spell so what....Now if everone on your OC site is as UPTIGHTand INSULTING as you I don't think I want to even try to understand what you are all about ( let a lone support ya )
It just not a nice thing to show up on a board with as single minded a purpose as this one and tell people "GROW UP AND COVER UP" Kinda sets the tone to replies to you.

Now perhaps if you can articulate in a reasonable, non insulting manner why OC is a Bad Thing, then folks might want to talk...

compmanio365

imported post

Hillbillly wrote:

Hey, I tell it like it is bro. You come on this forum, and your very FIRST POST you start a fight. Not a good track record so far. I think if you stop for a second and realize nobody here is infringing on anything. Far from it. We just run a no BS zone here.

I understand the lack of ability to spell. I can read through it. The problem many people have with it is they can't read through it, or they think it demonstrates a lack of time and energy put into what you post here. If you took the time to spell check what you post, it makes you look much more intelligent and portrays you in a better light.

Sorry if you feel we are "uptight and insulting" but when your first post is basically the gun equivalent of "convert or burn in hell", you can understand why we don't take it kindly.

Now, if you want to start over, and learn something here, and why we do what we do instead of trying to convince us all to give up what we are doing and just CC (which isn't going to get you very far), then stick around, read some history on the forums, get acquainted and then contribute. Maybe even try OCing at some point, meet up with some of us at one of the OC lunches, and see that we aren't such bad people after all.

Saint

imported post

Hillbillly wrote:
How are any of us infringing on your right to free speech? Free speech does not mean anything you say is correct. I am not censoring you in any way. You can say whatever you want and I am not going to stop you. So once again I ask... How are we infringing on your right of freedom of speech?

Also, since you say that 'I don't think I want to even try to understand what you are all about' ... If that is the case, then why in the world did you bother posting a question here in the first place?

Seems to me like you are someone who just enjoys stirring up trouble and is not at all interested in having a reasonable/logical debate on the merits of OC.

Since your first post you have made the statements that anyone who OC's does it because "you think it makes you a macho man" or that "you're just trouble makers"

In addition, you said to "Grow up and Cover up"

And now you have the audacity to say that we are insulting?

If you are truly interested in a discussion on the reasons for Open Carry, I'm sure all of us will be happy to tell you. However, given your posts thus far, I would say that that seems extremely unlikely.

Attachments

• patbwx.gif
    patbwx.gif
    3.6 KB · Views: 327