• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Federal Ammunition and Ruger Firearms introduce the .327 Federal Magnum & Ruger SP101

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I want one of those. That looks like an interesting little piece, and a good susbstitute for a .38 snubby. Besides the GP101 just looks cool. Maybe should get one in each chambering:lol:

Steve

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I like it, I have a SP101 in .357, but I like the idea of this new one for field use and as a hand it to anyone gun.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

longwatch wrote:
I like it, I have a SP101 in .357, but I like the idea of this new one for field use and as a hand it to anyone gun.
Wanna buy one and hand it to me? I need a very concealable / BUG, I am considering this.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I don't know about this, guys.

I have an SP101. It kicks like the dickens with 130gr .357 Mag. premium defensive loads. 125 gr. aren't terribly comfortable, either. It only becomes comfortable around 110 gr., which I recently looked up and found only had about 460 ftlbs of muzzle energy inone particularfactory load. That's not a lot of muzzle energy for a .357 magnum.

It makes no sense that one can approach magnum energies but make comfortable recoil in a small frame. Did they discover a way to repeal the laws of physics? Action = reaction, ya know.

I'm thinking a lot of this is hype. With maybe some slippery wording. Like maybe they're using the very lowest end of the whoever's range for what constitutes magnum muzzle energy.

Separately, I'd like to meet the fella who can comfortably carry an SP101 in a pocket. This is not a pocket gun. I don't care what any gun magazine or advertising says. A J-frame, yes. An SP101, no. An SP101 is enough bigger that it doesn't go in pants pockets for complete concealment. Any jacket of mine with pockets big enough to fully conceal even the grip promptly sagged on that side. It looked like I was carrying a brick for how much that side of my jacket or coat pulled down.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Citizen wrote:

I have an SP101. It kicks like the dickens with 130gr .357 Mag. premium defensive loads. 125 gr. aren't terribly comfortable, either. It only becomes comfortable around 110 gr., which I recently looked up and found only had about 460 ftlbs of muzzle energy inone particularfactory load. That's not a lot of muzzle energy for a .357 magnum.

It makes no sense that one can approach magnum energies but make comfortable recoil in a small frame. Did they discover a way to repeal the laws of physics? Action = reaction, ya know.

I'm thinking a lot of this is hype. With maybe some slippery wording. Like maybe they're using the very lowest end of the whoever's range for what constitutes magnum muzzle energy.

Separately, I'd like to meet the fella who can comfortably carry an SP101 in a pocket. This is not a pocket gun. I don't care what any gun magazine or advertising says. A J-frame, yes. An SP101, no. An SP101 is enough bigger that it doesn't go in pants pockets for complete concealment. Any jacket of mine with pockets big enough to fully conceal even the grip promptly sagged on that side. It looked like I was carrying a brick for how much that side of my jacket or coat pulled down.
The dimensions I read made it look do-able, as far as concealment.

My pockets are deep... ;)

longwatch

imported post

Citizen wrote:

Good point, I'm not sure I believe that the .327 is going to be the equivalent of any but the lowest power .357 magnums. But I do buy that it will be in the effective SD range. Pocket gun? Definitely not but still a good CCW.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

openryan wrote:
SNIP The dimensions I read made it look do-able, as far as concealment.

Concealable, yes. In a holster.

Well, try it before you buy it is all I can add. Otherwise, take it from somebody who owns one. This isn't a pocket gun, even in 2 1/4" like mine.

Yes, yes, yes. I've read the little blurb about the factory rubber grips having hard plastic sides so it slides easily out of a pocket. They forgot to mention that there aren't terribly many pockets that it can go into for its length and height and not have the end of the grip showing either outside of the pocket or visible just inside the opening of thepocket. Thickness isn't really a problem. Weight is not light, either. If you want a pocket gun that won't drag down your jacket or britches on that side, this is not the gun to get.

This is not a little J-frame with minimal wood grips.

I still very much like it.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Citizen wrote:
openryan wrote:
SNIP The dimensions I read made it look do-able, as far as concealment.

Concealable, yes. In a holster.

Well, try it before you buy it is all I can add. Otherwise, take it from somebody who owns one. This isn't a pocket gun, even in 2 1/4" like mine.

Yes, yes, yes. I've read the little blurb about the factory rubber grips having hard plastic sides so it slides easily out of a pocket. They forgot to mention that there aren't terribly many pockets that it can go into for its length and height and not have the end of the grip showing either outside of the pocket or visible just inside the opening of thepocket. Thickness isn't really a problem. Weight is not light, either. If you want a pocket gun that won't drag down your jacket or britches on that side, this is not the gun to get.

This is not a little J-frame with minimal wood grips.

I still very much like it.
Thanks for the advice, any more concealable BUG's you might suggest instead of the 101?

longwatch

imported post

openryan wrote:
longwatch wrote:
Wanna buy one and hand it to me? I need a very concealable / BUG, I am considering this.
Think of it this way, an emergency occurs and the opportunity or need arises to arm someone with an unknown or low marksmanship skill level. I think a low recoiling revolver would do well in this role.

Marco

imported post

I like the idea of the .32H&R mag in the SP101 so I should like a more powerful .32.
It should make a good platform gun for beginners and a excellent BUG for those that carry one.
:lol:More power than .38spl not quite as much recoil as a.357, with 6 instead of 5 rounds in the same package.
:idea:I think it will challenge .380, standard pressure .38spl, 9x18 and might even give .38spl+p a run for its money in time.

Time will tell.

Edit:
on my 3" SP101 in .357 I replaced the factory grips with Craig Spegal(wood) Bootgrips

I have used it as a Pocket gun(left front pants pocket)but the weight not the size wasthe problem.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

openryan wrote:
SNIP Thanks for the advice, any more concealable BUG's you might suggest instead of the 101?

Taurus makes some .38's and .357 Mags. in small-frame, 5-shot revolvers. Life-time warrantee. I was told they basically licensed from Smith & Wesson the rights to almost copy the J-frame.

Check the Taurus website. There is a lot to choose from. A hammerless might be just the ticket for a pocket BUG.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Citizen wrote:
openryan wrote:
SNIP Thanks for the advice, any more concealable BUG's you might suggest instead of the 101?

Taurus makes some .38's and .357 Mags. in small-frame, 5-shot revolvers. Life-time warrantee. I was told they basically licensed from Smith & Wesson the rights to almost copy the J-frame.

Check the Taurus website. There is a lot to choose from. A hammerless might be just the ticket for a pocket BUG.
They make a nice, almost pocket sized .45 I was looking at, not a bad deal, although for a bug, they do make a .25 at 5 /14 in.