• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Snohomish County Parks

Gama

imported post

Hello OC community! I've been lurking since the summer, learning what I can about OC and CC. I have found this site to be a wonderful resource full of very knowledgable people who are willing to communicate with the noobs like me. So, I wanted to point out something and ask for your help.

While visiting the Meadowdale Beach Park to view the salmon counts I happened upon SCC 22.16.090 Weapons and fireworks.

"No person shall possess or discharge any firearm, bow and arrow, air or gas weapon, slingshot, fireworks or explosive in any county park except at times and in areas specifically designated by the parks division and posted for such use."

We should all know and understand that RCW 9.41.290 State preemption renders this moot, but it doesn't protect us from persecution. I emailed "someone" from the Snohomish County Website "contact us" link from the parks and recreation rules page, but didn't get a response. This doesn't surprise me since I didn't have any person to hold accountable except some automated process. What I need is someone who lives in Snohomish County (I live/vote in King County, and their KCC 7.12.630 has ommitted firearms possession and just deals with firearms discharge) to contact a representative/legal department and get this error corrected.

I'm still working up the gumption to OC in Washington, and corrections like these will help me feel more at ease. I'm just not in a position right now to deal with the potential harassment.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Welcome aboard!

State preemption takes care of your concern. End of story.

I was a bit shy about OC at first, but repeated acts have emboldened me. Good luck!

Steve

joeroket

imported post

as sv_libertarian said the preemption is all that is needed. I did however fire off an e-mail to Aaron Reardon. We'll see what his response is.

joeroket

imported post

This issue is being reviewed by the County Parks and they are working with thier attorney's to re-write the ordinance so that it is in line with and not repealed by the RCW's

Gama

imported post

Thank you! I'll be keeping an eye open for changes at the parks I visit frequently. I know that they probably won't change the signs, but if the SCC changes I'll have an easier time.

heresolong

imported post

Gama wrote:
Thank you! I'll be keeping an eye open for changes at the parks I visit frequently. I know that they probably won't change the signs, but if the SCC changes I'll have an easier time.
There was a funny post a while ago about printing up stickers saying "Repealed by RCW9.41.290" and just sticking them up on any sign that a county, city, etc posts anywhere saying that you can't possess a weapon. Anyone ever make up these stickers?

just_a_car

imported post

heresolong wrote:
Gama wrote:
There was a funny post a while ago about printing up stickers saying "Repealed by RCW9.41.290" and just sticking them up on any sign that a county, city, etc posts anywhere saying that you can't possess a weapon. Anyone ever make up these stickers?
Probably not the best idea, since that's considered graffiti and/or vandalism... no matter how true it is.

BluesBear

imported post

Graffiti and/or vandalism ?

Naw, just use a really cool font and call it ART. This is Seattle* after all.

*Not really but the rest of the world considers everything west of the mountains, south of Canada and north of Oregon as Seattle. Only Almost Live understood the subtle differences in the outlying locales.

[suB]This sarcastic opinion has been brought to you courtesy of PWAGAN[/suB]

BluesBear

imported post

That's him. along with hisarmless/legless brothers Matt, Bill, Bob, Rayand Jack and his armless/legless sisters, Ilene, Irene,Belle, Dot, Holly, Lillyand Candy.

What do you call a cow with no legs? [suP]1[/suP]

What do you call a dog with no legs? [suP]2[/suP]

1. Ground Beef
  2. It don't matter it won't come.