• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

negative encounter at the Beacon Mall Giant, Alexandria

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Actually.... There's no need for a comma with your name, unless you are trying to signify a more or less deliberate pause.

Abno, since your interested in the subject, and live there, when you get time one day, drive to a place called Briery Branch. It's in the foothills next to Hone Quarry. It used to have a lot of moonshiners that married first cousins.
Ask where to place the comma.

The answer will be something like " As far out as you can get it. One kilt all the dinosaurs the last time it hit the earth" :shock:

A gentleman named Possum Glick made that observation in Brad Bennett's Freshman English in 1965. He was the class Guru since he had taken it for several years..:what:

Oh Boy!!! Very OFF TOPIC!

just a guy with a Glock

imported post

AbNo wrote:
just a guy, with a Glock wrote:
One time in my life I try and use proper punctuation and it gets me. :banghead:

I always suspected those English teachers were setting me up !

Actually.... There's no need for a comma with your name, unless you are trying to signify a more or less deliberate pause.

Sorry, I'm almost done with Liberal Studies 101... I mean ENG 111. It's been coming up a lot lately....
LOL , my sister in law has a masters in English. She is editing my book and will need plenty of red pens.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Smurfologist wrote:

Thanks Tess!! Your explanation makes total sense to me. However, most places have inconspicuous signs that you really have to look for (i.e. Wachovia, AMC Theaters, some malls, just to name a few). Like I said, if I do see a sign, I concur with it. But, what you have explained, makes total sense. Stay safe!!

2nd Amendment.......Use it.........Or, lose it!!:X
I have always wanted to try something at Wachovia -- they have this neat sign on the one near where I used to work. It's a revolver, with the red circle and diagonal line (I couldn't find an image without words to post here) ... but I don't carry a revolver, usually; I carry a semi-automatic <grin>

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tess wrote:
SNIP ... but I don't carry a revolver, usually; I carry a semi-automatic <grin>
I've never seen a semi-automatic grin.

Are you referring to your pleasant, ready smile? :)

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Tess wrote:
SNIP ... but I don't carry a revolver, usually; I carry a semi-automatic <grin>
I've never seen a semi-automatic grin.

Are you referring to your pleasant, ready smile? :)

Yeah, that's it! :lol:

I was an English major for four years. But I didn't graduate with that degree. Couldn't learn to put the punctuation before the parenthetical comments!

mlands

imported post

The irony is that a person who is legally carrying has been possibly asked to leave the store for open carrying, a right being exercised. Yet outside many stores in Northern Virginia are countless illegal aliens seen up and down the same areas loitering for hours and hours in the same spot. Why aren't the cops arresting them for loitering???? Hmmm??? These illegals are there just hanging around and in some cases committing crimes. One illegal tried to break into a county car while it was parked at a 7-11 for 5 minutes. Are members of society so scewed up that they look the other way, yet will be delighted to harrass a law abiding, tax paying Virginian carrying?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

mlands wrote:
SNIP Are members of society so scewed up that they look the other way, yet will be delighted to harrass a law abiding, tax paying Virginian carrying?

Yep.

Highlander

imported post

mlands wrote:
The irony is that a person who is legally carrying has been possibly asked to leave the store for open carrying, a right being exercised. Yet outside many stores in Northern Virginia are countless illegal aliens seen up and down the same areas loitering for hours and hours in the same spot. Why aren't the cops arresting them for loitering???? Hmmm??? These illegals are there just hanging around and in some cases committing crimes. One illegal tried to break into a county car while it was parked at a 7-11 for 5 minutes. Are members of society so scewed up that they look the other way, yet will be delighted to harrass a law abiding, tax paying Virginian carrying?
Maybe the illegal aliens didn't want to show I.D......;)

yankees98a

imported post

Let me clarify

I wrote
"
if she asked you to leave at that pt you were trespassing.

you should have a recorder with you so that it shows she didn't specifically ask you to leave"

What I meant is that IF she asked you to leave, you are trespassing. A store mgr saying they are calling the cops could be taken as please leave. We don't know the tone of voice or if he just walked away. hence the if

When the police come and he's still in the store it will make for a bad situation. Store mgr told person she's calling cops. Would she call cops on someone she wants to stay. Cops come, etc..

HOWEVER if he has a tape recorder and the context what what he said then it would at least help him out.

Pa. Patriot wrote:
yankees98a wrote:
if she asked you to leave at that pt you were trespassing.

Since this is the FIRST reply, and this is where the thread went south. I must ask.

where in the OP's story did he mention being asked to leave?

yankees98a

imported post

Leo229,

As a storeowner and office.... if a mgr go to a customer and say I'm calling the police.. police get call from mgr saying someone has a gun in my store and is breaking the law. You get a 911 operator who doesnt ask what law just calls the police... do you think there's at least a 50% probability a bad situation could happen?

AbNo

imported post

yankees98a wrote:
Leo229,

As a storeowner and office.... if a mgr go to a customer and say I'm calling the police.. police get call from mgr saying someone has a gun in my store and is breaking the law. You get a 911 operator who doesnt ask what law just calls the police... do you think there's at least a  50% probability a bad situation could happen?

Why does LEO have to answer that one? No offense to him, but it doesn't take any special training to know that someone lying, intentionally or not, can cause a bad situation in an instance like this.

yankees98a

imported post

But no one is lying in the scenario I described. A manager calls the police believing OC is illegal. She tell police operator that she told person she was calling police.

How does any lying occur. Misinformation yes. Lying no.

The OP was aware the manager had rigid views that were incorrect.

I personally would have at least tried to further clarify situation rather than leave it as he left it. If not a tape recorder would have helped his case. A gun helps you in an unpredictable situation. However preventing it in the first place is key (you dont walk in a bad neighborhood if you dont have to). OP should of continued conversation in a nice way.

Perhaps, you could call police to find out if it's legal. But once you find out it's legal. also keep in mind I am a regular customer and never had a problem. You have seen me numerous times.

This clarifies she is calling police just to find out if it's legal and not on him.

AbNo

imported post

*sigh* Here we go again...

Lying - Stating a mistruth

Unintentional - not on purpose

Unintentional lying - Lying, though not with intent.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

LEO 229

imported post

yankees98a wrote:
Leo229,

As a storeowner and office.... if a mgr go to a customer and say I'm calling the police.. police get call from mgr saying someone has a gun in my store and is breaking the law. You get a 911 operator who doesnt ask what law just calls the police... do you think there's at least a 50% probability a bad situation could happen?

I am confident that they will ask many questions about the gun and what the person is doing.

If it is a man that is OCing and refusing to leave when told to do so by the manager.... they will send the police. They will also get an idea if the person is being calm or is acting out.

The answer to the bad outcome is unknown. It is all between the police and the armed person when contact is eventually made.

LEO 229

imported post

AbNo wrote:
yankees98a wrote:
Leo229,

Why does LEO have to answer that one? No offense to him, but it doesn't take any special training to know that someone lying, intentionally or not, can cause a bad situation in an instance like this.
Because maybe he trusts my unbiased opinion. Many members here have a warped idea of how things operate in the police profession.

Some will comment that the police will Goose Step their way to the front door and arrest EVERYONE. :lol:

XCon

imported post

leo 229 is absolutely correct. As a former store manager I did have sign posted on the wall in visible color, "No trespassing, violaters will be prosecuted to the full extent of law" If a customer had weapon on him/her and they bought or buying something I don't mind keeping them inside. I am very calm and get along with all sorts of encounter. Only thing manager could do is barr him/her from the property. He/she is not allowed on the property up to 1 year. Photo is taken nad tress pass notice is given out. If they return then gets arrested for trespassing.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Mod LW, is trespass BS OT or not?

Hypothetical

Actor (OCs) on premises where he is unwanted. Agent declares his presence unwanted. Actor defies the agent and remains. Agent states tresspass notice. Agent calls police.

1) Actor cures trespass. Agent is embarassed.

2) Actor attempts to cure the trespass. Agent restrains! Assault/Battery

Kvetch at leasure.

just a guy with a Glock

imported post

Opsgear wrote:
leo 229 is absolutely correct. As a former store manager I did have sign posted on the wall in visible color, "No trespassing, violaters will be prosecuted to the full extent of law" If a customer had weapon on him/her and they bought or buying something I don't mind keeping them inside. I am very calm and get along with all sorts of encounter. Only thing manager could do is barr him/her from the property. He/she is not allowed on the property up to 1 year. Photo is taken nad tress pass notice is given out. If they return then gets arrested for trespassing.

Why the heck would you have a no trespassing sign in a retail business ?

I hope you realize that you can't detain someone and force them to have their picture taken. Also barring people from a store has had disastrous legal consequences ascan appear to violate civil rights laws (when minorities are involved). You better have something on them, shoplifting etc. before you just ban them. A business owner that doesn't want guns in his shop should just post it or ask them to leave. Frankly if Ioperated a restaurant, it would probably not be posted, but we would tell a individual open carrying to leave. The hostess just wouldn't seat them.More people are upset by open carry then upset by it not being allowed. It's a economic decision for every business owner to make.

LEO 229

imported post

Opsgear wrote:

I hope you realize that you can't detain someone and force them to have their picture taken. Also barring people from a store has had disastrous legal consequences ascan appear to violate civil rights laws (when minorities are involved). You better have something on them, shoplifting etc. before you just ban them. A business owner that doesn't want guns in his shop should just post it or ask them to leave. Frankly if Ioperated a restaurant, it would probably not be posted, but we would tell a individual open carrying to leave. The hostess just wouldn't seat them.More people are upset by open carry then upset by it not being allowed. It's a economic decision for every business owner to make.
It is a little confusing.. I agree.

If you have a sign saying "No Trespassing" will the customers come in? I can see if there is a stipulation such as "No Trespassing! The following are not permitted here...Firearms, skateboards, outside food, dogs"

I have seen this at a few shopping centers.. minus the guns.

XCon

imported post

Opsgear wrote:

yes sir you can surely take picture after you have given the guy trespass notice, their names, address will be on the paper and all are done in police presence so situation doesnt get hostile. One copy is kept by the management and one copy is mailed or handed out.