• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

negative encounter at the Beacon Mall Giant, Alexandria

swatpro911

imported post

"If people around you are not comfortable then you should not feel comfortable around them either" Problem will always arise thats why we have to be extra cautious where we go be aware of our surroundings.

W.E.G.

imported post

I wonder what theory of agency law gives a police officer (who is DEFINITELY not the person in charge of the property) the authority to empower a store employee with the authority to ban somebody from a retail store?

The employee may, or may not, already have that authority by virtue of his employment. But, I'm pretty sure a "blessing" from a police officer won't give the cashier any more authority to ban people than the cashier had prior to the appearance of the police officer.

As for the "no guns" signs, those signs are at best a courtesy warning to persons who may bring an unwelcome item onto private property. A violation of a "no guns" sign does not automatically morph into grounds to support a trespassing conviction against a person whodisobeys the sign. In order to prove trespassing, there has to at least be specific notice to the violator that his presence with theunwelcome accessoryitem will will be regarded as trespass, or the the violator must be overtly banned by face-to-face communication. Fine print on a sign posted off the side of a public entrance won't cut it.

LEO 229

imported post

W.E.G. wrote:
I wonder what theory of agency law gives a police officer (who is DEFINITELY not the person in charge of the property) the authority to empower a store employee with the authority to ban somebody from a retail store?

The employee may, or may not, already have that authority by virtue of his employment. But, I'm pretty sure a "blessing" from a police officer won't give the cashier any more authority to ban people than the cashier had prior to the appearance of the police officer.

As for the "no guns" signs, those signs are at best a courtesy warning to persons who may bring an unwelcome item onto private property. A violation of a "no guns" sign does not automatically morph into grounds to support a trespassing conviction against a person whodisobeys the sign. In order to prove trespassing, there has to at least be specific notice to the violator that his presence with theunwelcome accessoryitem will will be regarded as trespass, or the the violator must be overtly banned by face-to-face communication. Fine print on a sign posted off the side of a public entrance won't cut it.
A cashier has little control over a store. There is always a manager, assistant manager, or anowner available at the business. Hearing from any of them is good enough. In the absence of those in charge... an employee wanting a disorderly person to leave is also acceptable.

So your saying that a door that says "employees only" means nothing and you can enter if you feel like it? It may not say "No Trespassing" but it is a sign and the state code does not identify what the sign must say. It clearly indicates that your are NOT welcome to enter.

So any location posting"NO FIREARMS" means the same thing as"No Trespassing"

§ 18.2-119. Trespass after having been forbidden to do so; penalties.

If any person without authority of law goes upon or remains upon the lands, buildings or premises of another, or any portion or area thereof, after having been forbidden to do so, either orally or in writing, by the owner, lessee, custodian or other person lawfully in charge thereof, or after having been forbidden to do so by a sign or signs posted by such persons or by the holder of any easement or other right-of-way authorized by the instrument creating such interest to post such signs on such lands, structures, premises or portion or area thereof at a place or places where it or they may be reasonably seen, or if any person, whether he is the owner, tenant or otherwise entitled to the use of such land, building or premises, goes upon, or remains upon such land, building or premises after having been prohibited from doing so by a court of competent jurisdiction by an order issued pursuant to §§ 16.1-253, 16.1-253.1, 16.1-253.4, 16.1-278.2 through 16.1-278.6, 16.1-278.8, 16.1-278.14, 16.1-278.15, 16.1-279.1, 19.2-152.8, 19.2-152.9 or § 19.2-152.10 or an ex parte order issued pursuant to § 20-103, and after having been served with such order, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. This section shall not be construed to affect in any way the provisions of §§ 18.2-132 through 18.2-136.

W.E.G.

imported post

OK. I must be daft.

Can you tell me what is the relevance of the last paragraph of your post?

As for your conclusion about "no guns" sign equals tresapassing, you are simply offering a conclusory bootstrap argument. I disagree with your reasoning.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

W.E.G. wrote:
As for your conclusion about "no guns" sign equals tresapassing, you are simply offering a conclusory bootstrap argument. I disagree with your reasoning.
+1 Thanks for your hint at a proper interpretation of trespass law.

Trespass, per se, is toothless - spoken as owner of attractive acres. A neighbor even has the 'Trespassers will be violated, survivors shot' sign and still they come.

Gun hunting seson is over, here on an Island of 22 sq. miles and perhaps a dozen acres of public land. Still the hunter-trespassers come and walk down the middle of the road. Phui

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. LAB/NRA/GOP KMA$$

LEO 229

imported post

W.E.G. wrote:
OK. I must be daft.

Can you tell me what is the relevance of the last paragraph of your post?

The Virginia code section never made it in.. I had to add it again.

The state code makes reference to sign or signs. It does NOT say the sign must use the word"Trespassing."

having been forbidden to do so, either orally or in writing, by the owner, lessee, custodian or other person lawfully in charge thereof, or after having been forbidden to do so by a sign or signs posted by such persons or by the holder of any easement or other right-of-way authorized by the instrument creating such interest to post such signs on such lands, structures, premises or portion or area thereof at a place

Are you saying that if you enter the area of a store marked "Employees Only" you are not trespassing? You are clearly forbidden to enter that back area and I am willing to bet you do not stroll back there unless welcomed to do so.

The same logic will apply to a business posting any other sign forbidding you to do something while on their property.

Why should you be allowed to do something obviously not wanted by the business and then allowed to just "walk away" having already done it?"

I recall seeing signs on several acres of land that were posted every 20 feet that said nothing more than "No! No!" and it was rather obvious to me that they did not want people entering their land. It did not say anything about "trespassing" and I understood that I was forbidden to enter their property.

In any case... if a business has posted any such signs.. you should honor that request. Take your business elsewhere if you do not like it.

W.E.G.

imported post

Query: Why should you be allowed to do something obviously not wanted by the business and then allowed to just "walk away" having already done it?"

Reply: You shouldn't. The recourse is for the property owner/caretaker to ban you from the property for acting in a manner not permitted on the property. If you refuse to leave, or you return, only then does the evidence prove a good trespassing charge.

I can walk in the employees only entrance if I want to, so long as I commit no property damage in the process, and am not doing it for the purpose of committing some other crime. The manager is free to ban me for doing that just as well.

I'm surprised you haven't cited §18.2-121 (trespass against the rights of the property owner). If there is any chance of making a trespass case against the gun-toter for violation of the "no guns" sign, its going to be §18.2-121 (not §18.2-119 - official signs) that carries the charge. There is no way you are going to win an official signs trespass case where the official sign only says "no guns allowed."

Are you suggesting that somebody who walks into McDonalds with bare feet is automatically set up for a trespassing charge? All the stores have the sign right there on the door. No bare feet.

LEO 229

imported post

W.E.G. wrote:
Query: Why should you be allowed to do something obviously not wanted by the business and then allowed to just "walk away" having already done it?"

Reply: You shouldn't. The recourse is for the property owner/caretaker to ban you from the property for acting in a manner not permitted on the property. If you refuse to leave, or you return, only then does the evidence prove a good trespassing charge.

I can walk in the employees only entrance if I want to, so long as I commit no property damage in the process, and am not doing it for the purpose of committing some other crime. The manager is free to ban me for doing that just as well.

I'm surprised you haven't cited §18.2-121 (trespass against the rights of the property owner). If there is any chance of making a trespass case against the gun-toter for violation of the "no guns" sign, its going to be §18.2-121 (not §18.2-119 - official signs) that carries the charge. There is no way you are going to win an official signs trespass case where the official sign only says "no guns allowed."

Are you suggesting that somebody who walks into McDonalds with bare feet is automatically set up for a trespassing charge? All the stores have the sign right there on the door. No bare feet.
Please read the code section 18.2-121 again. It clearly identifies "for purpose of damaging it" and that is not what we are talking about here.

Code section 18.2-119states"after having been forbidden to do so by a sign or signs posted." I have seen signs identifying "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service." The business may not have you charged for something this minor but they now have a valid reason to demand you leave and not serve you.

Under your logic....It is OK to enter a place that is identified that youare not welcome but does not contain the words "No Trespassing" specifically.

So if a businesshasadoor marked"Restricted Area - Employees Only" you thinkyou are allowed to enter and just walk around. The best part is that the employees cannot tell you to leave since it requires someone in charge to order you out. The employees cancall the police who would be powerless to make you leave too.

The signs are placed by those in charge so that in their absence it is clear who is considered to be trespassing.

The code is clear. If there is a sign posted that forbids you to enter you do so... you ARE trespassing!

W.E.G.

imported post

You can go right on believing that.

A sign that bans an object does not ban the person.

The person must be banned in order to prosecute the person for the crime of trespassing.

Moreover, every Virginia Court of Appeals case, upholding the conviction of a person for trespassing in violation of posted signs, has involved circumstances where the signs specifically stated "no trespassing."

You can make up whatever laws you want on the internet. That does not make it the law.

You may want to go back and read §18.2-121, and pay more attention to the grammar. I think you missed the import of the word "or."

LEO 229

imported post

Maybe you will be the test case...If your so confident.... go see if you can do it and not be charged. :D

You might just find a business owner that takes you to court.

We can only speculate here... but I am telling you have money others can read it.

What it comes down to is this.... Respect the wishes of any business that does not want you there with firearms or outside food. ;)

Neplusultra

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Maybe you will be the test case...If your so confident.... go see if you can do it and not be charged. :D

You might just find a business owner that takes you to court.

We can only speculate here... but I am telling you have money others can read it.

What it comes down to is this.... Respect the wishes of any business that does not want you there with firearms or outside food. ;)
What! Now they're banning outside food! Excuse me sir, you're going to have to leave that hot dog in your car.... :^).

sjhipple

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
W.E.G. wrote:
You can tell when a debater has run out of grist when he resorts to making dares.

I dare ya to pruhdikt da fyucha! Call me NOW!!

-- CLEO 229

miss_cleo.jpg

All in good fun, LEO 229...I just couldn't resist :p. I know what you were saying...you don't have to defend yourself against my shameless distortion of what you said. I just thought it was funny.

LEO 229

imported post

ama-gi wrote:
I dare ya to pruhdikt da fyucha! Call me NOW!!

-- CLEO 229

miss_cleo.jpg

All in good fun, LEO 229...I just couldn't resist :p. I know what you were saying...you don't have to defend yourself against my shameless distortion of what you said. I just thought it was funny.
I was going to pick up and call!!! But I could not find Citizen's credit card. :lol:

Tomahawk

imported post

unrequited wrote:
That looks like a scary Barbarella (yes I'm too young to know what that was...).

That, if memory serves, is a drill thrall. All the newbies on Triskelion get one. If you're lucky like Capt. Kirk you get a hottie (at least once you get used to the hair).

I'll bet you 20 quatloos I'm right.

EDIT: Oh, and BTW, the CLEO 229 thing is awesome. That just has to be made to stick.

packingdressagerider

Some where in Rockbridge County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
unrequited wrote:
That looks like a scary Barbarella (yes I'm too young to know what that was...).

That, if memory serves, is a drill thrall. All the newbies on Triskelion get one. If you're lucky like Capt. Kirk you get a hottie (at least once you get used to the hair).

I'll bet you 20 quatloos I'm right.

EDIT: Oh, and BTW, the CLEO 229 thing is awesome. That just has to be made to stick.

Yeah, a drill thrall from that episode Gamesters of Triskelion.

So are there any malls in Va. where you can carry concealed? Any body know about that mall in Staunton Va?

Placementvs.Calibur

imported post

I've yet to have be harassed for OC'ing in Springfield Mall. I do it often. I've walked the entire mall on several occasions OC'ing. If it's a rule that you can't they should visibly post it as a courtesy to their customers.