• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Story at a convienience store

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

So me and the girlfriend were on our way downtown (to the French Quarter) to have a few drinks, and she wanted me to stop and get her a pack of smokes at the local Stop-n-Go down the road from our house. As soon as I pulled in I went to yellow (usually I'm white to pedestrians while driving unless I'm at a stoplight, i need to change that). There were four cars in the parking lot, one of which was a van, who's side door was open, with what appeared to be one very drunk individual standing outside the door, and another intoxicated indiviual sitting inside. The thought crosses my mind that I should leave, but I knew the owners, and I knew they don't let people loiter unless they know the people.

I proceeded to get out of my car, with my SA XD45 in my Serpa,and walk inside, when the drunk fellow said something about my car, I couldn't tell what he was saying. I walked inside, and as I opened the door one of the drunk guys said "He's got a gun!" I just kept walking inside, I didn't fell like getting into a discussion with 2 drunk guys who I could barely understand.There were 3 people inside the store(oneblack male, two white females)talking to the woman behind the register. I asked for a pack of smokes. Apparently the one black male was hitting on one of the white females, and noticed I was there and asked "are you a racist?" I have no idea why he asked that, but I think it had something to do with inter-racial relationships. I said "No, why?" Then he noticed my XD, and said,

"Oh, you a cop! No wonder."

I said, "No, I'm not a cop, what makes you think I'm a cop?"

"Well, you have a gun strapped to your hip, so I just thought you were a cop. Are you military?"

"Yes, but that doesn't mean anything either, I can still carry openly without (finger quotes)'permission' in this state."

I paid for my smokes and as I'm walking towards the door the guy said to the lady behind the register (who I talk to on a regular basis) "He's crazy."

She replied with, "No, he's smart."

I quickly left, and had a nice conversation with my girlfriend (who thinks it's inappropriate to OC at WalMart or the Zoo) about OCing. She was glad I was OCing that night. She later commented on the drunk guys outside reacting to my pistol. She said it was hilarious, and they were freaking out.

Just another example of people thinking that you need "permission" to own or carry a gun. Granted I probably should have left as soon as I saw the type of people that were hanging out at the place. But they were the closest, and the cheapest, and the neighborhood I was about to drive through to get to the highwayisn't any better.