Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Semi bad encounter with OC

Post imported post

Just recently I went to a local shop off Aurora ( I dont want to mention names if you're familiar with the area you'll know) looking to buy a new Serpa holster I was OC'ing at the time in a galco holster with a thumb break as I was walking up to the shop I was comfronted by an employee of a neighboring business Aurora Suzuki who says to me Suzuki Employee: I hope you're a police officer
    Me: No, I'm not.... Why??
    SE: You know that's HIGHLY ILLEGAL here?!
    Me: Really? what law says that?
    SE: Its common knowledge! you cant just walk around with a gun exposed like that unless you're a cop!
    I diddent feel like arguing so I just left it at that with a Hmmmmmm......
    As I walk into the shop he makes it a point to let the employees and manager know that I'm OC'ing
    Shop employee 1: YOU CANT DO THAT! WHAT ARE YOU THINKING!!??
    Me: Are you serious? Its my right! you should know this!....
    SE1: You must be trying to lose your gun laws then! you cant do that this isnt texas you know!
    SE2: What are you trying to do!? get the SWAT team down here??
    I couldent help but laugh...
    Me: What ever you say pal I'm not here to discuss law I came here for a holster thats all.

I cant beleive that a gun shop would be so ill educated on law, how dissapointing! And this isnt the first time that I've heard this about that store, I guess I got to witness it first hand, now I know and I wont be going back!

Post imported post

...you can't OC in Texas ironically. Cowboy mentality be damned!
    -Unrequited

Campaign Veteran Right Wing Wacko's Avatar

Post imported post

Maybe someone should drop by, open carrying of course, with a copy of the Seattle Police Training Bulletin.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Gray Peterson's Avatar

Post imported post

I know which place you're talking about. I'll have a chat with them at some point.

Post imported post

In addition to the lack of parking at _ _ _ _ _'_ Gun Shop, I've never found the selection to begood enough to be worth the trip. Anything that might be a good deal they can't/won't sell because it's listed on GunBroker. I used to drop in there twice a month or so, everytime I was going shopping at Sam's Club. Now I guess it's been about six months since I've been there. Nothing there I can get cheaper elswhere.

Post imported post

I as well know of the place...I CC and have been asked to go outside unload my pistol and clear it before I could shop there ( and you had to look really close to see it )...not only that maybe it's me but it seems like the employees there are not so friendly :X

State Researcher

Post imported post

Well, so much for stopping in there...
    I haven't been there since I got back into Washington, and now I clearly won't. Can't believe how crazy they got over OC!

Wow!

Post imported post

Hillbillly wrote:
    ...I CC and have been asked to go outside unload my pistol and clear it before I could shop there ( and you had to look really close to see it )...
    Then it wasn't concealed.

Post imported post

I have never been there. Guess I never will now!

Post imported post

ARod wrote:
    Just recently I went to a local shop off Aurora ( I dont want to mention names if you're familiar with the area you'll know) looking to buy a new Serpa holster I was OC'ing at the time in a galco holster with a thumb break as I was walking up to the shop I was comfronted by an employee of a neighboring business Aurora Suzuki....
    I don't get it. You mention Aurora Suzuki by name but don't mention the gun shop by name....

Strange....

Post imported post

Unless you tell us the name so we can put it on the 'Do Not Patronize' list I have no clue which store you're talking about.

Post imported post

They are the only gun shop in that part of town, other than the pawn shops, and have been there for decades. Name of the shop?? Butch's Gun Shop at about 73rd and Aurora. Near Greenlake.
    CZ 75B 9mm, Ruger P94 .40 S&W, Bersa Thunder .380, AR-15 Homebuild

State Researcher
    Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

I don't get all these "first time OC'er confrontations".... Many of us have been OC'ing for YEARS without a single negative encounter...

Are you 18 (look 15), dress like a gang banger... or somthing?

Post imported post

I chose to not mention by name because I dont want to make it seem like I'm trying to single out one shop to "bash" on them. What I wrote was based on an actual event not personal preference, bias, or anything along those lines ( Just so we're clear to everyone here )

There had been several other times that I have gone in there where I wasn't OCing where I actually got good service and they were somewhat personable still dosent change the fact that they're spreading bad information and are not up to par on the laws this wouldent be such a big issue if it wasnt for the fact that when I tried to explain the facts they were not in the slight least bit interested in what i had to say. I was wrong no matter what I said to them

I figure this is the WA page people would know who I was talking about or would know from their own personal expirences.... I've heard plenty of others complain about them.

Post imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
    I don't get all these "first time OC'er confrontations".... Many of us have been OC'ing for YEARS without a single negative encounter...

No not at all... let me give you a quick summary of myself to give you an idea of who I am....I'm 28, former marine, firefighter and paramedic who currently owns a business locally. I'm sure that gives you some what of an idea of who I am... or maybe not... sounds like you're into making assumptions. Whatever the case sounds like you've been fortunate, as have I this is only one isolated incident with people who dont know any better I've have had better luck with local, state and county law enforcement agencies who dont bother me at all! so It can be that I "look" or "dress" like anything.

One thing you have to remember this is WA not PA. WA has a lot of hippie, tree hugger types that get scared at the mention of a firearm.

Post imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:

ARod is the furthest thing from a gang banger imaginable and what makes you assume he is a first time OC'er he has been OC'ing longer than most on this board, and BTW you need to be 21 not 18 to Carry in this state. He comes on here and shares a story about a negative experience in an establishment that has been reported to be anti OC in the past. You go off andassume it's his fault and he must be some punk kid who was out looking for trouble, get real or butt out.

Post imported post

Agent 47 wrote:
    and BTW you need to be 21 not 18 to Carry in this state.

As I interpret the RCWs as well as the training bulletins, oneonly needs to be 18 to openly carry. You do however need to be 21 in order to obtain a CPL.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Gray Peterson's Avatar

Post imported post

BluesBear wrote:
    Agent 47 wrote:
    and BTW you need to be 21 not 18 to Carry in this state.

As I interpret the RCWs as well as the training bulletins, oneonly needs to be 18 to openly carry. You do however need to be 21 in order to obtain a CPL.
    RCW 9.41.240

Post imported post

I've scoured the RCWs, trying to find a loophole for 18-20 carry, and unfortunately there isn't one. You do have to be 21 to OC or CC. However, you can transport and possess a handgun that is unloaded and in an opaque case or wrapper, which means, if I am interpreting the law correctly, that if you are 18 you can carry a gun unloaded in a briefcase or ina backpack, so long as it is in a gun case.

IANAL, check for yourself and get a lawyer's advise first, but I believe that I am correct on this one.
    RCW 9.41.050
    Carrying firearms.

(1)(a) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, a person shall not carry a pistol concealed on his or her person without a license to carry a concealed pistol.

RCW 9.41.060
    Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.

The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:

(9) Any person while carrying a pistol unloaded and in a closed opaque case or secure wrapper

Post imported post

ARod wrote:
    I chose to not mention by name because I dont want to make it seem like I'm trying to single out one shop to "bash" on them. What I wrote was based on an actual event not personal preference, bias, or anything along those lines ( Just so we're clear to everyone here )

Well, that's kind of contradictory. Your whole OP was all about singling out the shop for the heckling treatment you got and the misinformation they labored under. And of course it was an actual event--you submitted it as such. No one is questioning that.

So, was Butch's Gun Shop at about 73rd and Aurora?

ARod wrote:
    There had been several other times that I have gone in there where I wasn't OCing where I actually got good service and they were somewhat personable still dosent change the fact that they're spreading bad information and are not up to par on the laws this wouldent be such a big issue if it wasnt for the fact that when I tried to explain the facts they were not in the slight least bit interested in what i had to say. I was wrong no matter what I said to them
    Well, the picture seems to be that they do some things well and some things badly. Most here would wholeheartedly agree that spreading incorrect info about OC and being stubborn about it is a bad thing. So your post describing the gun shops actions is perfect for this forum. People are interested in that kind of situation.

ARod wrote:
    I figure this is the WA page people would know who I was talking about or would know from their own personal expirences.... I've heard plenty of others complain about them.
    So, let's see if I have this right....you have a gun shop that treated you badly because you OC'd in their store....said gun shop is demonstrably OC....said gun shop is known to have "plenty" of other complaints in this area.....

.....and you don't want to identify this gun shop's name??????

Strange.

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    So you do know how to use google.

Strange.

Post imported post

^hahaha!! Its one of the only actual gun shops on aurora.... so yes its is!

State Researcher
    Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

Agent 47 wrote:
    ARod is the furthest thing from a gang banger imaginable and what makes you assume he is a first time OC'er he has been OC'ing longer than most on this board, and BTW you need to be 21 not 18 to Carry in this state. He comes on here and shares a story about a negative experience in an establishment that has been reported to be anti OC in the past. You go off andassume it's his fault and he must be some punk kid who was out looking for trouble, get real or butt out.
    Excuse you, and excuse me, I was not necessarily addressing the the OP. It was just a thought I had reading this thread. My fault for not making that clearer. However it was his first post and Iknow nothing about him other than what he wrote.
    Calm down.

Post imported post

expvideo wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    So you do know how to use google.

Strange.

Sure. But mostly I know how to read....

Post imported post

if I am interpreting the law correctly, that if you are 18 you can carry a gun unloaded in a briefcase or in a backpack, so long as it is in a gun case. [emphasis added]
    I don't think you have that quite right--in the scenarios you describe the briefcase or backpack is the "closed opaque case or secure wrapper"; there's no requirement for there to be a "gun case" inside.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast