• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Center Axis Relock

nickerj1

imported post

Anyone know much about the Center Axis Relock system?

I remember seeing a video linked on here about general self defense tactics that used it and decided to look into it further. The instructor also was linked to videos with one-armed disarms, etc. Found the thread here:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=5015&forum_id=54

Description of system:
http://www.pointshooting.com/carmag.htm

Wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_Axis_Relock

According to Wikipedia it's so elite that civilians can't learn it, only LEOs and military. That naturally peaked my interest. :lol:

One of our own is an instructor:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum60/4865.html

Edit: Fixed link. Added information.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

nickerj1 wrote:
Anyone know much about the Center Axis Relock system?
After readinganother thread regarding stance I did some research and came across the same links you did, but I didn't post them in that thread because it seemed like it was a bit off topic since Center Axis Relock is a more dynamic shooting system than anything you might use at the range, but it piqued my interest too. Thanks for posting it here. I'm sure it will generate much discussion since it's something that's "reserved for the elite."

expvideo

imported post

I'll have to try this next time I'm at the range. I think it will work better with a glock than it will with my sig, since canting the wrist is going to be easier for me with a glock's shape.

FogRider

imported post

Looks interesting. Might be something to try at the range.

Edit: After trying this out with an actual gun (unloaded of course), it seems pretty stable, and at close range it seems like it would be fairly accurate. The only thing I would be worried about is having a .45 that close to my face.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

FogRider wrote:
The only thing I would be worried about is having a .45 that close to my face.
I agree. My Glock 19 ejects casings straight up and back, so unless I was wearing a face shield I don't think I'd be willing to practice shooting from that position.

expvideo

imported post

Tried this with unloaded guns and found that I was right about it working with Glocks, and most other guns being uncomfortable.

IanB

imported post

I researched this last year and tried it at the range a few times. It doesn'tworkwell unless the target you are engaging is within 10 feet of you. And... if your target is within 10 feet, who is going to look down the sights anyways? I also like it when a company advertises something (in this case training) that is "not available" to the general public.

Edit: Watch the videos on the page below, notice how close he is to the target?

http://www.sabretactical.com/High_Speed_Video/high_speed_video.html

unrequited

imported post

...in that first video he's getting grazed in the vest by his slide cycling. He's lucky to have a hard vest on. A little bit of a mis-angle, or an all-out full-frontal and that's gonna be one hurting solar plexus. That's at least 20lb of force in a 1" blunt object right on your midsection. Ouch.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

When I was 21 I bought my first handgun, which was a Ruger Mark II .22 semiauto pistol. The first time I shot it I gripped it with my right hand, cupped my right hand with my left, curled my left thumb over my right hand behind the slide and then I pulled the trigger.

It took about a monthfor the skin to grow properly back over that knuckle on my thumb. I learnt a lesson that day.

imperialism2024

imported post

unrequited wrote:
...in that first video he's getting grazed in the vest by his slide cycling. He's lucky to have a hard vest on. A little bit of a mis-angle, or an all-out full-frontal and that's gonna be one hurting solar plexus. That's at least 20lb of force in a 1" blunt object right on your midsection. Ouch.
Use a revolver? :D

FogRider

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
Use a revolver? :D
That's what I was thinking. Of course I'm not elite enough to learn any of this so why bother :p

The revolver could work I suppose. And I don't think it has any "elitness" about it, it seems to be alot of common sence stuff. If you are poing to point-shoot (or whatever you want to call it), you might as well do it from a position that you can lock into, and makes you a smaller target.

Edit: Payday tomorrow, so I will try to get to the range and try this. Will let you know how many slide-shaped bruises I come home with.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

FogRider wrote:
And I don't think it has any "elitness" about it, it seems to be alot of common sence stuff. If you are poing to point-shoot (or whatever you want to call it), you might as well do it from a position that you can lock into, and makes you a smaller target.

Edit: Payday tomorrow, so I will try to get to the range and try this. Will let you know how many slide-shaped bruises I come home with.
I was making a joke about whomever developed the system stating they only train LEO and military on it...

But yes, please share the bruises with us!:D Am curious how well it would work with my P89...

Brian D.

imported post

This method has always felt awkward and counter-intuitive to me. It seems like it's only handyif you happened to be incertain close-quarters, unusual positions.

But then I'm not HighSpeedLowDragHighAltitudeLowOpeningSpecialForcesAirborneAssaultDeltaSealMeuSocTacticalCommandoRanger certified either, just a guy who puts several thousand rounds downrange per year and manages to hit center mass more often than not.

FogRider

imported post

Well, I took my XD to the range to try this out, an I got only mixed results. I couldn't hit jack holding it right up next to my chest as shown in the article (never hit myself, but it is a pretty unnerving place to shoot from), but when I switched to a position about halfway between the first one shown and the one where the guy is shooting out the car window, I was at least able to get shots on paper. Left hand was just in front of my shoulder, elbow tucked in tight. Right forearm parallel with my chest and the ground, about 2" from my chest. After I got used to it, I was able to keep my shots in the chest region, and shoot alot faster than normal (5 rounds in under 2 seconds is pretty damn fast for me). This was probably due to not trying to regain a sight picture, and being able to get the muzzle reset faster.
Not my favorite position, but would definitely work in a defensive situation.

50ish rounds at 15yd:
CAR-at-15yd.jpg

expvideo

imported post

I can place shots pretty accuratelywith a pretty highshots per second at 21 feet without using this CAR system. I've seen people shoot more accurately than me at even higher shots per second, using a standard isoceles stance.

evan1293

imported post

Hi Everyone. I have a lot of experience with the CAR system and I'vehad formal training on this system and have taught it informally as well. Let me just say that CAR (or IPDS as its marketed in the civillian sector) is very difficult to grasp without formal training. There is more to it than meets the eye and itwill benot only ineffective if done improperly, but also very dangerous.

I haven'theard ofa single person yet thats gone through the course that has not completely embraced the system. It works. Personally I was shooting master level IPDA using mod Iso before CAR and even at that level I've all but abandoned iso for CAR because I feel its that good. When I took the class there were 3 other new shooters with me who were shooting somewhere around the 3 shot / second speed with ok accuracy at best. By the end of the class everyone was in the 5-6 rounds / second speed all shooting fist sized groups both to the body and head from the high and extended positions. This may sound far fetched, but I asure you its not. The system enables the shooter to fire their weapon with 85% reduced felt recoil, whichallows formultiple shots at high speed. I have not found anything more practical for "real life" defensive shooting. We know that most gunfights happen in the 3' to 7 yard range so why is so much emphasis placed on 10,15 even 25 yard shooting? The chances of you having to shoot it out at 25 yards is slim. Training should be done to reflect reality and reality has shown that when "it" happens, it happens in your face and fast. CAR allows you to respond to these types of situations.

CAR is a great tool for CQ shooting, but dont think that its ineffective for distance. With practice accurate hits can be made out to 25 yards if need be. By pushing out to something that resembles a traditional weaver, 25 yrd shots can be made with ease.

I have some videos of myself and others shooting CAR that you guys can check out if you'd like. Go to www.photobucket.com and then type in "E_Close-tac" in the search bar and then go to "view album of user...".

Let me know what you think. Take Care!