• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thoughts (rant) inspired by Danbus's latest incident...

TheApostle

imported post

AbNo, sir, I must take issue with your last post telling people to Shut up

I'm not one of your friends or "homeboys"...so if you cannot be respectful in the exchange of thought, then don't engage in it. The only inordinate amount of complaining has been in this thread. Many have done great deeds to represent the 2A preservation movement.

Is dissent illegal on this forum now? If people disagree, the exchange of ideas is valuable for any issue. It promotes wisdom and knowledge, and that is a healthy thing.

Be polite please.

dkd

imported post

TheApostle wrote:

I'm not one of your friends or "homeboys"...so if you cannot be respectful in the exchange of thought, then don't engage in it. The only inordinate amount of complaining has been in this thread. Many have done great deeds to represent the 2A preservation movement.

Is dissent illegal on this forum now? If people disagree, the exchange of ideas is valuable for any issue. It promotes wisdom and knowledge, and that is a healthy thing.

Be polite please.
where in the post is the "homeboys" quote from?:?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

AbNo wrote:
I'm not just talking about Dan, though his lastest escapade is what finally got me to put text to screen, so to speak, and that's why I am trying to stay near it.

And yes, I realize that a lot of people are NOT out shrieking everytime someone has anything other than a positive or neutral encounter.

I'm talking about people that go out of their way to berate the other people on this board, because the way someone handled a tense situation did not fall under the rules set by the complainer's Cracker-Jack box diploma.

Again, what I was saying was...

1. If you don't think someone did something the right way, it's pretty pointless to whine about it without at least giving a plausible idea of what to do.

2. Counter-act those "bad for OCer events" by doing something good, not pointing with your giant foam finger. If nothing else, it's getting you to do something to further the cause. Otherwise, you are just infighting.

3. If you're cowering in fear of your lost rights, just turn in your gun.

I'm not kidding. If you're not willing to train your RKBA on a trial basis (carrying), then why should anyone, including yourself, believe you would actually use it if truly needed?

4. Again, I'm sick of "You shouldn't have done that!"

Shut up. Get out of your chair, and go SHOW people how it should be done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2YWHBFx3Zg

AbNo

imported post

TheApostle wrote:

Be polite please.

Hey, guess what? The point of this entire, *STATED* rant was NOT to be buddy-buddy, not to be your friend. It was to get people to retire from the 301st, get off their self-righteous arses, and actually do something in the streets, not sit here and cry and complain on a forum.

Furthermore, whining and cowering is NOT an exchange of ideas. And EXCHANGE of ideas would be someone putting forth ideas of what SHOULD be done, not "OMG! You did that dumb!".

Feeling self-righteous because you made a forum post in response to what someone else did REALLY isn't getting anything done. I don't care how right it makes you feel, it's STILL NOT HAVING ANY TANGIBLE EFFECT, which is why I called on people to

Hell, I fell disrespected that you even used the phrase "homeboys" to refer to ANYTHING I have ever said, as though I'd used that slack-arsed phrase.

Interesting you are getting on my case for pointing out and expressing dissent , and then trying to put up some strawman argument of censorship. Is all you can really come up with "Hey, I disagree with you, so stop talking badly about people that don't agree with you... "?

I will tell you right now, that's what it looks like from here. You want me to stop posting about people I disagree with, because you disagree with me.

As an added insight, I think the fact that pretty much every detractor in this thread has more or less ignored that call to arms for more active OCing is pretty damned telling in and of itself.

Again, I find it very amusing that "Hey, you shouldn't post like that!" is the response I get for telling people to get out there and do something positive and/or constructive to carry rights.

And for those of you that can't keep purpose of the OP in mind, I'm not talking about the entire OCDO forum community, I'm talking about people that want to sit there and dissect incidents after the fact, and belittle people in the process, wailing and screaming about how it's endangering their rights, or just plain telling someone they did something wrong without offering some sort of explaination.

In a sentence, I'm sick of the "I'm better than you, but I won't tell you how" posting style a lot of people are demonstrating.

And for you nit-pickers that can't make an argument without going out of your way to take a statement in its most literal sense....

Get over yourself.

You KNOW what the sentence means. If all you can do it call BS on someone because they used the word "every" instead of "usually", just don't post.

Seriously, it makes you look like a jerk, is a waste of bandwidth and forum space, as well as everyone's time to make an OP say "No, of course it doesn't happen 100% of the time, but it's d:cuss:ed often enough."

For a fine example of such childish antics, see Hank's post above, in which he was shut down with a reminder I'd started that sentence with "seems like". Creating a situation where people have to waste time with your (not just you, Hank) Grammar Naziism is a completely pointless waste of time that is only meant to derail a topic, insulting, and rather ignorant, in my opinion.

You want to sit here and hide on a forum? Fine. But if all you are going to do is criticize people for their actions, without offering any advice when you do it, you're not helping any of us at all.

It's called CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM. Use it, or don't complain.

This whole thread has been a lesson in it.

Instead of saying "Stop posting", like Apostle is saying, I'm saying "Stop posting complaints without giving advice in the process". Notice the difference?

One is a call for people to stop talking, the other is telling people to stop doing it without a positive benefit, either OC actions, or EXCHANGING IDEAS.

"You were dumb for doing that." it NOT an exchange of ideas, it's borderline mild flaming and insulting....

I wonder how long it's going to take for someone to purposely misconstrue one of these sentences while completely missing the point next.

Oh, and Godwin's Law does not apply here, because that only applies to WWII, "actual" Nazis, and not Grammar Nazis.

Mordis

imported post

Abno, You have me mistaken bro.. I do not want others to stand up for my rights, id gladly do it my self. Problem is, i only do security work. SO i dont make to much money. I can not afford an attorney. Much less any of the reputable ones here on this forum. As to saying I dont know the law here in Ft.Wayne INdiana, i do, i looked it up, that is why i said it was only defacto legal. The only statute we have, is pertaining to those who cant carry, and none of the Indiana firearms laws say anything about open carry. At most the law says one cant carry with out the LTCH, which i have.

If you wanna start paying for my lawers, ill start open carrying alot more. I have talked to alot of cops, and i know for a fact the hassle i would be infor. Most say, that despite it being legal, they would get mountains of calls about a man with a gun. Some even suggested id be arrested for brandishing. None of them seem to have a similar veiw of Indiana open carry, some think its legal, others think its not. Take Gary IN for example, they think our LTCH is a ccw, but its not.

So before you start passing judgement on me, and on others, why dont you take care of the plank in your eye first.

Thank you to SGTJenson for posting were i lived.. I should have in my first post.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

AbNo wrote:
TheApostle wrote:

Be polite please.

Hey, guess what? The point of this entire, *STATED* rant was NOT to be buddy-buddy, not to be your friend. It was to get people to retire from the 301st, get off their self-righteous arses, and actually do something in the streets, not sit here and cry and complain on a forum.

Furthermore, whining and cowering is NOT an exchange of ideas. And EXCHANGE of ideas would be someone putting forth ideas of what SHOULD be done, not "OMG! You did that dumb!".

Feeling self-righteous because you made a forum post in response to what someone else did REALLY isn't getting anything done. I don't care how right it makes you feel, it's STILL NOT HAVING ANY TANGIBLE EFFECT, which is why I called on people to

Hell, I fell disrespected that you even used the phrase "homeboys" to refer to ANYTHING I have ever said, as though I'd used that slack-arsed phrase.

Interesting you are getting on my case for pointing out and expressing dissent , and then trying to put up some strawman argument of censorship. Is all you can really come up with "Hey, I disagree with you, so stop talking badly about people that don't agree with you... "?

I will tell you right now, that's what it looks like from here. You want me to stop posting about people I disagree with, because you disagree with me.

As an added insight, I think the fact that pretty much every detractor in this thread has more or less ignored that call to arms for more active OCing is pretty damned telling in and of itself.

Again, I find it very amusing that "Hey, you shouldn't post like that!" is the response I get for telling people to get out there and do something positive and/or constructive to carry rights.

And for those of you that can't keep purpose of the OP in mind, I'm not talking about the entire OCDO forum community, I'm talking about people that want to sit there and dissect incidents after the fact, and belittle people in the process, wailing and screaming about how it's endangering their rights, or just plain telling someone they did something wrong without offering some sort of explaination.

In a sentence, I'm sick of the "I'm better than you, but I won't tell you how" posting style a lot of people are demonstrating.

And for you nit-pickers that can't make an argument without going out of your way to take a statement in its most literal sense....

Get over yourself.

You KNOW what the sentence means. If all you can do it call BS on someone because they used the word "every" instead of "usually", just don't post.

Seriously, it makes you look like a jerk, is a waste of bandwidth and forum space, as well as everyone's time to make an OP say "No, of course it doesn't happen 100% of the time, but it's d:cuss:ed often enough."

For a fine example of such childish antics, see Hank's post above, in which he was shut down with a reminder I'd started that sentence with "seems like". Creating a situation where people have to waste time with your (not just you, Hank) Grammar Naziism is a completely pointless waste of time that is only meant to derail a topic, insulting, and rather ignorant, in my opinion.

You want to sit here and hide on a forum? Fine. But if all you are going to do is criticize people for their actions, without offering any advice when you do it, you're not helping any of us at all.

It's called CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM. Use it, or don't complain.

This whole thread has been a lesson in it.

Instead of saying "Stop posting", like Apostle is saying, I'm saying "Stop posting complaints without giving advice in the process". Notice the difference?

One is a call for people to stop talking, the other is telling people to stop doing it without a positive benefit, either OC actions, or EXCHANGING IDEAS.

"You were dumb for doing that." it NOT an exchange of ideas, it's borderline mild flaming and insulting....

I wonder how long it's going to take for someone to purposely misconstrue one of these sentences while completely missing the point next.

Oh, and Godwin's Law does not apply here, because that only applies to WWII, "actual" Nazis, and not Grammar Nazis.

soapbox.gif

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Perhaps someone in Indiana needs to find just one pro self-defense legislator to ask for an opinion from the Attorney General there. Normally lacking any law to the contrary, an act not forbidden is simply legal.

As for people with personality problems , see bottom of this post. :D

Yata hey

Attachments

• Shooting smiley.gif
    Shooting smiley.gif
    17.7 KB · Views: 212