• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A view of Guns, sent to me by my favorite wife

Warrenton NO CCW

imported post

Unknown%20Name

To all you old law dogs now just lyin' in the shade, current pistoleros and other fervent Second Amendment believers: I would rather be your friend, but if you are not interested in that, I am prepared to be a capable and efficient enemy.

This is the law: The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. As John Steinbeck once said.

1. Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is to old to fight, he'll just kill you.

2. If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

3. I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy. (Gotta love this one!!)

4. America is not at war. The U.S. Military is at war. America is at the Mall. (Ain't this the truth?)

5. When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away. (Yep, shoot first, then call 911)

6. A reporter did a human interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognize the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do carry a 45?". The Ranger responded with, "Because they don't make a .46."

7. An armed man will kill an unarmed man with monotonous regularity.

8. The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm. "Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?" "NO Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle."

FogRider

imported post

I have always liked this response to "I pity you for being so afraid you think you need a gun.":
"I am not afraid, I have no need to be. As the good book says, "Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I am the baddest mother effer in the valley""

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

I forget where I heard it but, paraphrased, went something like this.

Yeah, pistols are great for home defense. You generally use them to fight your way to the shotgun you should've had in the first place.

tarzan1888

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
Vir Quisque Vir wrote:
I found the title to be the most interesting of them all.

Yea me too.

As the owner of only one wife, I don't know how he does it.

What happens if your favorite wife is mad at you and the other one or ones aren't to happy with you either.? :what:

tarzan1888

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
tarzan1888 wrote:

I retract my previous statement and submit this one to be my favorite. :p

Pleeeeese don't EVER tell my wife that I wrote that.

I am the boss in my house and I have my wife's permission to say so.

Tarzan

Warrenton NO CCW

imported post

Take it easy guys. I have been married to the same girl since 1962, at the tender age of 19. So that makes her my favorite wife.:D This should put that to bed. Pun intended.

Erus

imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
What happens if your favorite wife is mad at you and the other one or ones aren't to happy with you either.? :what:

Trust me, fellas.. if ONE of your wives is mad.. they ALL are...

Been there, done that.. (sorta)

For the record.. I can make my wife do any damn thing she wants to do... lmao..
Erus

tarzan1888

imported post

Vir Quisque Vir wrote:
Take it easy guys. I have been married to the same girl since 1962, at the tender age of 19. So that makes her my favorite wife.:D This should put that to bed. Pun intended.

1962? Did you guys ride dinosaurs on your honeymoon?
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Just kidding I can remember 1962. Well I think I can.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Tarzan

Legba

imported post

Actually, they do make a nominal .46 cal - the Smith 460V magnum.

-ljp

tarzan1888

imported post

Legba wrote:
Actually, they do make a nominal .46 cal - the Smith 460V magnum.

-ljp

The origional quote was from the very first post, why a .45, ........because they don't make a .46

The.460S&W Magnum is a .46 in name only. Its actual diameter is .452 inches, which is all but the same diameteras the .45 ACP @ .451 inches. The fact that it goes 2630 fps, well that is a whole nother story. :what:

Tarzan

Legba

imported post

Yeah, that's typical. The .380 is really .355" etc. Dunno how they come up with these nominal calibers.

-ljp

tarzan1888

imported post

Legba wrote:
Yeah, that's typical. The .380 is really .355" etc. Dunno how they come up with these nominal calibers.

-ljp

That is actually a very interesting story.

Most of the calibers date back at least to the 1800's.

In the early 1800 long guns had bores of two types, smooth bore or rifled bore.

It was easy to load the smooth bore as you could easily push the ball down the bore and onto the load, but it was not easy to do so with a rifled bore. It could take you several minuets to accomplish this. For rapid loading in war time it made the smooth bore preferable. Then came the Minie Ball.

[align=center]Minie Ball[/align]
The development of this half-inch lead rifle bullet revolutionized warfare, while the slowness of Civil War military leaders to adapt their tactics to adjust to the new technology was greatly responsible for the overwhelming number of battlefield deaths.
Before the introduction of what soldiers commonly called the "minnie ball"-even though it was indeed bullet-shaped-the use of rifles in battle was impractical and largely limited to corps of elite marksmen. Expensive, tight fitting projectiles had to be jammed into the grooves of the rifle's muzzle, a time-consuming process.
In 1848, however, French army Captain Claude F. Minie created a smaller, hollow-based bullet that could far more quickly and easily be rammed into the bore, expanding when the weapon was fired to catch in the rifling and be shot spinning out of the barrel. That spin made the mini ball, like other, more expensive and unwieldy rifle bullets, a highly precise and far traveling projectile. They could reach a half-mile or more, and an average soldier could easily hit a target 250 yards away.
By 1855, Harpers Ferry Armory worker James H. Burton had honed an even cheaper version of the minie ball, which, along with the rifle itself, soon became widely used in the U.S. Army. It was the standard bullet for both sides in the Civil War, although neither anticipated the enormous difference this would make on the battlefield. Against a defensive line using musket fire-requiring a 25-second reloading period and accurate to only 50 feet or less-a frontal infantry charge was likely to be successful if the assaulting force moved quickly enough.
The widespread use of the minie bullet, however, shifted the balance greatly to the defense's favor. Nevertheless, Civil War generals continued ordering such attacks, learning only after hard and bloody battlefield experience-from the assault on Marye's Heights at Fredericksburg to Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg-that their strategy would have to be altered.[/b]

http://www.civilwarhome.com/weapons.htm

The deal with the different calibers goes like this. Say you were shooting a .38 and using a minie ball. the caliber of the barrel is .38, but the caliber of the ball is .357, so that it easily fits in the barrel.

They called the minie ball for a .38 barrela .38 even though it measures .357. The name stuck when the moved on to cartridgesand so we have it.

That goes for the old calibers. I think on some of the new ones, they just wanted it to sound bigger.

Tarzan

Legba

imported post

Interesting - didn't know that. I wondered thatit was from imprecise metric conversions or wanting the numbers to sound more alliterative or something.

-ljp

FogRider

imported post

Another part of that is that the old muzzleloaders needed patches, so your bullet would be smaller that the barrel but the difference would ba made up in the patch. So they would take the same size bullet and put it in a case, but keep the same name. Add in a little bit of creative naming, and you have something that is not nessasarily the same size as the name.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
SGT Jensen wrote:
Vir Quisque Vir wrote:
I found the title to be the most interesting of them all.

Yea me too.

He Didn't post a location, I'm going with Utah.

jonnyjeeps

imported post

Maybe its his second or third wife? People get divorced quite regularly and maybe he realized he liked the last one better after the fact.

Im not married yet but my second or third wife is probably in grade school right now:lol:

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

jonnyjeeps wrote:
Maybe its his second or third wife? People get divorced quite regularly and maybe he realized he liked the last one better after the fact.

Im not married yet but my second or third wife is probably in grade school right now:lol:
Wow, ha.