• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry and the State Police Today

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I was on 295 going home from the airport (another story) where I picked up my new diesel generator for the farm.

There was a Soccer Mom Van with a flat tire and an AAA pickup on the side. Both the Driver and the AAA person were women and the AAA person wasn't doing too well jacking the car up.

I stopped and got my jack, hers was a small floor jack and just not high enough. I crawled under the van and placed my jack so it would hit the spring bolds and while I was crawling under the thing, two State Troopers stopped.

All they could see of me was my 44 and my legs.

I scooted out and jacked the van up. Changed the tire and let it down. Stood up and said goodbye to everyone and one of the troopers. stepped over and said "Thanks for stopping"

End of conversation!

So much for All Cops are a PITA!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I rarely have problems with the Police over OC. Hanover is a problem county because they are mostly ignorant castoffs from other departments, and I never go further north than Woodstock Va.

I had one snippy Va Beach rookie rankle my feathers about 1976, but I usually win "lets irritate each other"....matches.

Marco

imported post

when people have a positive encounter they may tell one or two and talk about it for a few days, however when they havea bad encounter they will tell anyone that will listen and talk about it until they die.

glad yours was positive.

AbNo

imported post

The VSP have been pretty good in my encounters, actually.

Both of them.

Hell, surprisingly enough, even the Harrisonburg cops have, as well.

Even Ofc. Scowly McGrumpypants. I couldn't count that as a negative when I was laughing so much after it. :lol:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Hell, surprisingly enough, even the Harrisonburg cops have, as well.

Even Ofc. Scowly McGrumpypants. I couldn't count that as a negative when I was laughing so much after it. :lol:
spacer.gif
\

It's always been my opinion that most of them are not too bad. Theye're human and as such, just like anyone else.

Taking humanity as a whole, most are tolerable

some are asshole and I try to ignore them

and a very few, are damn nice folks. The only close friend I have left living, is a LEO.

Mcgruff that was backup at your ticket is an example. He didn't do much except try to look as tough as possible. Hell,...it's a tough job. Administration has taken their blackjacks, batons, reined in the amount of force they can use and given them damn poor training to boot.

Many people try to buddy up to them and talk shop or ask stupid questions...doesn't work, there's a wall on both sides and just so long as you stay on your side of the wall and he stays on his, and both maintain a respectful conversation...all goes well (usually).

I know, I Know...there's always the asshole (on both sides) They're like the stupid drunk looking for a fight...either fight him or ignore him.

AbNo

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Many people try to buddy up to them and talk shop or ask stupid questions...doesn't work, there's a wall on both sides and just so long as you stay on your side of the wall and he stays on his, and both maintain a respectful conversation...all goes well (usually).

That's not even always the case. Look at this LAST Monday when I got pulled over.

That LEO was quite friendly, and even reminded me I had a reverse light out.

Hell, he was MUCH more helpful and forthcoming with information than the LEO Scowlypants was providing backup for.