• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Darwin Strikes Again

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/article/10113

Man accidentally killed by friend on camping trip Tuesday November 13th, 2007
Two longtime friends from Panama City Beach, on a weekend camping trip to Gulf County, accidentally set off a pistol Saturday, killing one and wounding the other.

Jayson Decker, 31, died at the campsite. James Cook was treated and released from a local hospital.

Gulf County Sheriff Joe Nugent said the men had set up camp on the bank of the White City Canal earlier in the day. At about sundown, Decker picked up a loaded 9 mm pistol and tossed it to Cook.

Cook caught it, and the gun fired. A single bullet passed through his left hand and struck Decker in the head, killing him. Cook ran to a nearby boat ramp to call for help, Nugent said.

Deputies called a crime scene unit from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement to examine the scene. The evidence matches Cook’s account of the shooting, Nugent said.

Nugent declined to provide other details about the shooting.

“We’re still investigating all that,” he said. Robert Decker, Jayson Decker’s father, said Monday the gun did not belong to his son or Cook. They might have taken it along to test fire it as a favor for an acquaintance, he said. Cook could not be reached for comment.

Decker’s father said the two men had been close friends for several years and worked together in the maintenance department at the Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort on Front Beach Road. They also lived next to each other in trailers in the Lagoon Oaks neighborhood.

“(Jayson) was well-loved by his family and friends,” Decker said. “He enjoyed life and loved hunting, fishing, motorcycles and fast cars.”

He said Cook is distraught over the shooting. “It’s devastating to me and my family, and it’s devastating to him as well because he has to live with this the rest of his life,” he said.

Jayson Decker leaves behind an 11-year-old son, Joel.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Here's another (I copied from www.webby.com/humor):
Code:
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="3"][code][font="arial"][color="#cc00cc"]Thanks to Deeli's Bonehead reports:
[img]http://webby.com/humor/ibh.gif[/img]An INTERNATIONAL BONEHEAD AWARD
goes to a 66 year old man in Southworth, WA

[b]Wrong tool[/b]
The Associated Press | Monday, Nov 12 2007 3:13 PM
Last Updated: Monday, Nov 12 2007 3:18 PM

A man trying to loosen a stubborn lug nut blasted the wheel
with a 12-gauge shotgun, injuring himself badly in both legs,
sheriff's deputies said.

The 66-year-old man had been repairing a Lincoln Continental
for two weeks at his home northwest of Southworth, about
10 miles southwest of Seattle, and had gotten all but one of
the lug nuts off the right rear wheel by Saturday afternoon,
Kitsap County Deputy Scott Wilson said.

From about arm's length, the man fired the shotgun at the
wheel and was "peppered" in both legs with buckshot and
debris, with some injuries as high as his chin, according to
a sheriff's office report.

"Nobody else was there and he wasn't intoxicated," Wilson said.
The man was taken to Tacoma General Hospital with injuries
Wilson described as severe but not life-threatening.[/color][/font]
[/size][/font][/code]

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Wynder wrote:
http://www.nwfdailynews.com/article/10113

Man accidentally killed by friend on camping trip Tuesday November 13th, 2007
Two longtime friends from Panama City Beach, on a weekend camping trip to Gulf County, accidentally set off a pistol Saturday, killing one and wounding the other.

Jayson Decker, 31, died at the campsite. James Cook was treated and released from a local hospital.

Gulf County Sheriff Joe Nugent said the men had set up camp on the bank of the White City Canal earlier in the day. At about sundown, Decker picked up a loaded 9 mm pistol and tossed it to Cook.

Cook caught it, and the gun fired. A single bullet passed through his left hand and struck Decker in the head, killing him. Cook ran to a nearby boat ramp to call for help, Nugent said.

Deputies called a crime scene unit from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement to examine the scene. The evidence matches Cook’s account of the shooting, Nugent said.

Nugent declined to provide other details about the shooting.

“We’re still investigating all that,” he said. Robert Decker, Jayson Decker’s father, said Monday the gun did not belong to his son or Cook. They might have taken it along to test fire it as a favor for an acquaintance, he said. Cook could not be reached for comment.

Decker’s father said the two men had been close friends for several years and worked together in the maintenance department at the Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort on Front Beach Road. They also lived next to each other in trailers in the Lagoon Oaks neighborhood.

“(Jayson) was well-loved by his family and friends,” Decker said. “He enjoyed life and loved hunting, fishing, motorcycles and fast cars.”

He said Cook is distraught over the shooting. “It’s devastating to me and my family, and it’s devastating to him as well because he has to live with this the rest of his life,” he said.

Jayson Decker leaves behind an 11-year-old son, Joel.

May the goof with a gun RIP.

What a way to go!

I remembera a fewguys here once tried to pin a ND bya goof with a gun who shot himself in the thigh someone on the anti-gun crowd.One chaptheorized thatanti-gun attitudes in society makepeople more prone to doing stupid things with guns. Another suggested that the lack of gun safety training in our schools was at fault.

This case depictssuch a blatant case of gun mishandling, that I doubt the apologizers could possibly whip up an excuse for the dear belated goof with a gun.

I could be surprised though. ;)

Sitrep

imported post

Guns should never be thrown, unless you are shooting at Superman and run out of bullets.

If these guys were avid hunters, as quoted, they should have known so much better than this. I wouldn't throw my guns around, and I really wouldn't throw a friends guns around, as that shows a lack of respect both for the firearm and the friends property.

Lew

imported post

Heartless_Conservative wrote:
I like how the article says teh gun 'went off.' Bad gun! Bad! You're only allowed to spontaneously discharge at hippies and liberals!
How would you rewrite this sentence using a transitive verb?
Cook caught it, and the gun fired.
I'm trying to figure out a satisfactory way of conveying the same action.

FogRider

imported post

Sitrep wrote:
Guns should never be thrown, unless you are shooting at Superman and run out of bullets.

If these guys were avid hunters, as quoted, they should have known so much better than this. I wouldn't throw my guns around, and I really wouldn't throw a friends guns around, as that shows a lack of respect both for the firearm and the friends property.
Ever notice that Superman will let you empty a clip into his chest, but duck when you throw the gun at him?

imperialism2024

imported post

Lew wrote:
Heartless_Conservative wrote:
I like how the article says teh gun 'went off.' Bad gun! Bad! You're only allowed to spontaneously discharge at hippies and liberals!
How would you rewrite this sentence using a transitive verb?
Cook caught it, and the gun fired.
I'm trying to figure out a satisfactory way of conveying the same action.
"Cook caught the gun, negligently (or accidentally) shooting himself in the process."