• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Email to Intercity Transit about guns, ammo, OC...

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I emailed IT about the lawful transport of guns, ammo and of the legalities of OC, citing RCW 9.91.025, etc.. they wrote me back a few minutes ago, saying they were unsure even on the transport of cased longarms... they are clearly not wanting to do anything without their lawyers... :banghead:

I got an email back this morning;

Thank you for your e-mail. I will have our legal counsel review this and we will put together appropriate direction for our Operators. I will contact you with this information to see if you agree with our interpretation.
I appreciate you raising this issue – I do not believe it has come up before.
It may be approximately two weeks before I have information for you but will try to contact you sooner than this.
Please call me at 705-5855 if you have any questions.

Mike Harbour
General Manager

I wrote back and thanked him for his time, and asked if currently I would have no problems transporting cased long arms... I have not heard back about this yet. Concealed carry by definition is not a problem, nor is ammo as it goes into my backpack. Transporting cased longarms and OC is the issue at hand here. I may not have given him enough info regarding OC, but will share more when I get a response to my last question...
Other transit agencies have RCW 9.91.025 posted so I am not concerned with them as much as I am with IT. Stealth Potato has convinced me that OC should be a safe enough bet on Metro... Since I use IT to get back and forth from work, I am being more cautious with them. I liked where Mr. Harbour said he would see if I agreed with their findings, people around here seem to be willing to have reasonable discussions...
Steve

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
I emailed IT about the lawful transport of guns, ammo and of the legalities of OC, citing RCW 9.91.025, etc.. they wrote me back a few minutes ago, saying they were unsure even on the transport of cased longarms... they are clearly not wanting to do anything without their lawyers... :banghead:

I got an email back this morning;

Thank you for your e-mail. I will have our legal counsel review this and we will put together appropriate direction for our Operators. I will contact you with this information to see if you agree with our interpretation.
I appreciate you raising this issue – I do not believe it has come up before.
It may be approximately two weeks before I have information for you but will try to contact you sooner than this.
Please call me at 705-5855 if you have any questions.

Mike Harbour
General Manager

I wrote back and thanked him for his time, and asked if currently I would have no problems transporting cased long arms... I have not heard back about this yet. Concealed carry by definition is not a problem, nor is ammo as it goes into my backpack. Transporting cased longarms and OC is the issue at hand here. I may not have given him enough info regarding OC, but will share more when I get a response to my last question...
Other transit agencies have RCW 9.91.025 posted so I am not concerned with them as much as I am with IT. Stealth Potato has convinced me that OC should be a safe enough bet on Metro... Since I use IT to get back and forth from work, I am being more cautious with them. I liked where Mr. Harbour said he would see if I agreed with their findings, people around here seem to be willing to have reasonable discussions...
Steve

Steve,

He's not telling the truth. I've repeatedly emailed Mike Harbor with no response on this subject of their rules. You may want to point out to them that two years ago, every transit agency in the Seattle/Puget Sound region with the exception of King County Metro transit had "no weapons or firearms" rules. Every single one of those were knocked down by me personally, and Sound Transit was the last one who finally did so in June 2007.

First agency was Pierce Transit (since I lived closed to it), second was Community Transit (Snohomish), third was Everett Transit. Sound Transit was the last.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Thanks for the heads up Lonnie. I will PM you with copies of the emails if you like. Harbour is going out of town for the rest of the week he said, but is copying his assistant on this. I cannot believe they would not even commit to acknowledging transport of cased longarms. I mentioned to him also that I had a Training Directive from the OPD about lawful OC. Maybe I shouldn't have overwhelmed him with every aspect of lawful firearms transport, but then again I, or anyone else should not have to be telling him how to run his agency. But I wonder if bringing up OC right off the bat hurt my cause any?

Steve