• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing and protests..

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Now as I'm sure many here already know, Oly is hosting a fine and upstanding group of unemployed rabble rousers, errr.... upstanding protesters exercising their first amendment rights:lol: while blocking shipments of war material BACK to Fort Lewis (I think they're dyslexic)

Now I have no desire to go and hang out and watch them get whomped on (again) by the OPD.

I am also of the opinion that a person OCing, and minding their own business near a major protest could be asking for trouble.

Thoughts?

j2l3

imported post

I agree, it's bad to associate with miscreants like that. Couldn't stop the gear from GOING to Iraq... what makes them think they can stop it from coming BACK?

Hanging out while OCing is asking for trouble. My opinion, but in this country, "guilt by association" is alive and well.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

j2l3 wrote:
I agree, it's bad to associate with miscreants like that. Couldn't stop the gear from GOING to Iraq... what makes them think they can stop it from coming BACK?

Hanging out while OCing is asking for trouble. My opinion, but in this country, "guilt by association" is alive and well.
Oh I wasn't even thinking of hanging out, but if they were in an area I normal pass through, say fourth ave and I was OCing, then I could see problems, even just "passing through", the cops would get REAL nervous, and so would the hippies.... :lol: this could lead to problems. The protesters have shut things down again today, and have been ordered to leave. About 100-150 of them vs 40 cops. I am reading a blow by blow account on olyblog.net where I post as security_six (My views are strangely unwelcome in this "community forum" :p It's pretty entertaining actually, these people thinking they are the victims. Should sell plenty of papers tomorow... Yay!:celebrate

j2l3

imported post

I'll have to check out that blog tomorrow. For now, it's bed time as 5:30 comes pretty early these days.. seems to get worse as I get older too...

expvideo

imported post

If it becomes a riot, and you are part of the riot, you have commited a felony, and WA state law makes it very clear that if you are rioting while in the possession of a deadly weapon, a police officer has full authority to react with deadly force, regardless of if you are weilding that weapon.

thebastidge

2519 E Fourth Plain Blvd, Vancouver Washington, US
imported post

Being surrounded by people who are rioting is not being part of a riot.

On the other hand, unless compelled to be in the area for a fairly solid reason, plain common sense says don't take the chance on being involved in it. But if you find yourself stuck in a place where people are being crazy, having your sidearm with you doesn't seem like a bad idea.