• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry -- Your Letters?

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

I caught this statement on the anti-gun website Gun Guys (http://www.gunguys.com/?p=651) and, though I can't find the original article from Delaware Online, here's a quote from a previous Delaware Attorney General with my highlights to make it a great pro 'sound bite':
I read with alarm that the General Assembly may be prepared to amend Delaware law as it pertains to the right to carry a concealed deadly weapon. Essentially the argument is that 34 other states have passed such legislation, and the right of self-protection requires that a person be permitted to carry a concealed weapon. These arguments are as phony as a three-dollar bill.

The fact that legislators are cowed by the National Rifle Association says nothing about the wisdom of such laws. Under current Delaware law, virtually anyone, excepting felons, may strap on a holster and carry a gun in plain view. You can even carry a rifle over your shoulder and walk around with it.

As Delaware's attorney general, I frequently passed upon applications to carry a concealed weapon. I never understood why someone making night deposits felt safer with a concealed gun rather than carrying a holstered gun in plain view. Common sense would suggest a robber or mugger would be less likely to tangle with someone visibly carrying a weapon. Police carry their firearms openly.
I'd like to ask anyone who has gone through the effort of sending emails or letters to police agencies or the DA's here in Delaware and have gotten official responses, to please post a scanned JPG/PDF of that document or the full contents of the email in this thread to keep an archive.

dave_in_delaware

imported post

I personally don't think any entity like the AG office or LEO HQ will ever give a civilian written "proof" that OC is legal and OK. Sure, we'd all love a letter like that for our own peace of mind, but I'm afraid that'll never happen.

Why?

I think it's for legal reasons, so people don't use the letter they may have gotten as a "license" to OC everywhere. And if someone ever got arrested for something related to OC, that letter would probably be used in a court of law as defense against whatever OC law was broken, which would obviously create conflict in the courtroom.

Something related to a letter like this probably already happened in the courts, which is why they can't give out letters like thisNOW.

[Just my opinion and thoughts on the subject. I've requested a letter like this from the AG office when on thephone w/ them, probably almost a year ago. I'm still waiting for them to "get back to me." Haha....]

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

Generally, that would require an 'opinion' and since the AG's office prosecutes primarily FOR the state, it has to be an official of the state to request an opinion. I think that's where we should focus our efforts.