Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's have a national OC day!!!

Post imported post

Select a holiday for celibrating our 2nd Amendment rights and every gun owner OCs. Inform the police so they can participate....oh wait, they already OC.... I think it would NOT be a good day to plan an armed robbery.... Just ask the Daltons. What do you think? Has it been proposed? I'm new to the group. Ace

Post imported post

ace1001 wrote:
    Select a holiday for celibrating our 2nd Amendment rights and every gun owner OCs. Inform the police so they can participate....oh wait, they already OC....... What do you think? Has it been proposed? I'm new to the group.
    It's a great idea.

Spreading awareness about the legality, practiceand justifiability of OC is a good idea. A National Day is a good idea. Kind of like the National Smokeout or something like that. Public Relations, man.

There just aren't enough OCers interested in doing it. And there aren't that many OCers out there. Besides VA (where most of the OCing gets done) and OH, WA, AZ, it's pretty slim pickins.

Deleted Personal Attack

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    ace1001 wrote:
    Select a holiday for celibrating our 2nd Amendment rights and every gun owner OCs. Inform the police so they can participate....oh wait, they already OC....... What do you think? Has it been proposed? I'm new to the group.
    It's a great idea.

Spreading awareness about the legality, practiceand justifiability of OC is a good idea. A National Day is a good idea. Kind of like the National Smokeout or something like that. Public Relations, man.

There just aren't enough OCers interested in doing it. And there aren't that many OCers out there. Besides VA (where most of the OCing gets done) and OH, WA, AZ, it's pretty slim pickins.
    Deleted Personal Attack
    im sure this has been asked before but do you OC HankT?

Post imported post

If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

dkd wrote:
    Feeding the troll is a waste of your time.

Post imported post

I read the old posts. The 2nd of each month sounds great. Has it caught on? Maybe the first Saturday is OK too. Mowing the lawn packing is pretty hard to call the cops on...hey, this guy is mowing his own lawn...has pistol...sent SWAT!!!!:what: Ace

Post imported post

I read the old posts. The 2nd of each month sounds great. Has it caught on? Maybe the first Saturday is OK too. Mowing the lawn packing is pretty hard to call the cops on...hey, this guy is mowing his own lawn...has pistol...sent SWAT!!!!:what: Ace

Post imported post

ace1001 wrote:
    A one day per year event would be great. A lot of movements have those. Sure, when starting out, they are not that big. But the best example is the National Smokeout day. It's pretty big now. Started from nothing...

Did you know that National Memory ScreeningDay was yesterday? You might some year in the future, if the awareness gets out there. It's about awareness.

Some OCers would rather to other, largely ineffective things than do a National OC Day.

It's very strange. Public relations is a big part of spreading favorable awareness for a movement or idea such as open carry.

Post imported post

I believe what Hank is trying to say is that it would be another "you fill this in with whatever" day; another pointless day that no one is going to pay attention to except for a small group of people who are involved.

And I agree with Hank for the most part. There's no harm in having a day, but I could care less what day it is, because I OC everyday; in other words, every day is OC day for me. I doubt that designating an OC day is going to spread much information about OC.

By the way, I declare today dngreer day. Everyone needs to wear dngreer stickers, and tell everyone they come across what a great guy dngreer is.

Post imported post

dngreer wrote:
    I believe what Hank is trying to say is that it would be another "you fill this in with whatever" day; another pointless day that no one is going to pay attention to except for a small group of people who are involved.

And I agree with Hank for the most part. There's no harm in having a day, but I could care less what day it is, because I OC everyday; in other words, every day is OC day for me. I doubt that designating an OC day is going to spread much information about OC.

By the way, I declare today dngreer day. Everyone needs to wear dngreer stickers, and tell everyone they come across what a great guy dngreer is.
    It's hardly pointless. The goal would be:

raise awareness of OC as a legal practice and right in various states in the U.S.

Right now, that awareness level is extremely low. Among citizens, police, legislators, the media, even pro-gunners. People grouse about that all the time.

An annual National OC Day would be a tried and true public relations effort to accomplish the goal. It would not be about your OCing every day. Done correctly, an annual National OC day could be a fantastic endeavor. It could hardly help but "spread much information about OC." And, if done right, it would be favorable information about OC.

Post imported post

dkd wrote:
    I pretty much answered this question in the Does HankT Actually Open Carry?thread back in May.

Is theresome kind of requirement orsomething?

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

Probably would help to open carry if one wanted to accepted as some kind of authority on the subject. Since that thread is gone and dkd wasn't around then its a valid question from him. What would you do on National OC Day?

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    Probably would help to open carry if one wanted to accepted as some kind of authority on the subject. Since that thread is gone and dkd wasn't around then its a valid question from him. What would you do on National OC Day?
    Is open carry a requirement of some kind on this forum, longwatch?

Post imported post

No but I think it is bad form to propose something if one has no intention of participating.

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    No but I think it is bad form to propose something if one has no intention of participating.
    Bad form? Not pure enough in some way?

I recall some fellow posted here, asking for advice on his plan to wear a tactical vestin public to carry his XD and his extra mags.

You, as I recall, suggested that he get a permit and concealed carry instead of being "ostentatious." You discouraged OC. And thiswas on OCDO!

I thought that was rather bad form...I would think it's bad form to try suggest someone CC when all they wanted to do was OC.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum62/1826.html

I wonder what you would do in an annual National OC day, LW. Would you be disapproving of certain holsters or vests if you didn't like them?

Post imported post

I do believe I recanted myself and saw the error of my ways. We have had this discussion before. Still you haven't said what you would do on National OC day.

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    I do believe I recanted myself and saw the error of my ways. We have had this discussion before. Still you haven't said what you would do on National OC day.
    I think it was good that you recanted. Though you pretty obstinately tried to defend your initial censorious reaction.

I didn't propose the National OC day in this thread. Someone else did. I just said it would be a very good idea. Public relations and all that. This was in direct reply to the request in the OP for thoughts/opinions.

dkd asked whether I OC and you are asking the same question. Both of those questions are off topic.

The topic is whether ....well, here it is:

Let's have a national OC day!!!

Select a holiday for celibrating our 2nd Amendment rights and every gun owner OCs. Inform the police so they can participate....oh wait, they already OC.... I think it would NOT be a good day to plan an armed robbery.... Just ask the Daltons. What do you think? Has it been proposed?

So, let's get back on topic, LW. Do you think a National OC day is a good idea? Or not? You haven't said....

Post imported post

Now you are hiding behind it being off topic? The question of what will you do on National OC Day is very on topic I think, you said it was a good idea and I agree with you. I just want to have an idea of how much support we will have. Its good to know if people like you will participate, help out or not.

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    Now you are hiding behind it being off topic? The question of what will you do on National OC Day is very on topic I think, you said it was a good idea and I agree with you. I just want to have an idea of how much support we will have. Its good to know if people like you will participate, help out or not.
    I'd be very glad to participate. This would be a good project for OCDO. VCDL really can't get involved in such an event.

I'm glad you thinkan annual National OC Day it's a good idea, LW. It's a viable idea. Worked right, the output is moreawareness of OC being presented in a favorable light. To educate the folks out there--from sheeps to law-makers.

Frankly, I'm surprised that folks have not expressed energetic support for the idea when the idea has come up before. I wonder how much support there would be?

But with longwatch in favor of the idea, that's gotta result in people agreeing with you.

Virginia is the place where OC is happening the most. But there have to be several other states that could be represented to make it a NATIONAL event. With, essentially, free advertising.

What do others think about the idea?

Post imported post

Lack of enthusiasm is most likely due to for most around here every day or any day can be an OC day. No special occassion necessary.

Lets look at dates. I would suggest a date in the warmer months when people will actually not risk getting a cold to OC. Say between April and September. Also put it on a weekend when more people can free from work to OC. Maybe tie it to a symbolic date like April 19th, John Brownings, Samuel Colts. or Gaston Glocks Birthdays (Jan 21st, July 19th, etc). I think once we get the details worked out we need a megathread on OCDO for participants, and perhaps a satellite blog. Of course we will also need everyone to spread the word.

Ok I think thats a bare bones plan, any suggestions?

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    Lack of enthusiasm is most likely due to for most around here every day or any day can be an OC day. No special occassion necessary.
    Well, that's the problem. The idea of a National OC Day is not about actually legallyand responsibly carrying every day (or less often).

It's about spreading awareness that some people are actually legally and responsibly carrying every day (or less often).

Most of the population, by far does not know that.

Most of the concerted efforts, "around here," that have been embarked upon to spread that same message have created animosity and bad feelings, i.e., the various MMM sorties. But those events created BAD press. Not good.

It's about time, I think, for a totally positive effort to spread the word that OC is legal andthat almost all of its practitioners are reasonable, lawful adn responsible folks.

longwatch wrote:
    Lets look at dates. I would suggest a date in the warmer months when people will actually not risk getting a cold to OC. Say between April and September. Also put it on a weekend when more people can free from work to OC. Maybe tie it to a symbolic date like April 19th, John Brownings, Samuel Colts. or Gaston Glocks Birthdays (Jan 21st, July 19th, etc). I think once we get the details worked out we need a megathread on OCDO for participants, and perhaps a satellite blog. Of course we will also need everyone to spread the word.

Ok I think thats a bare bones plan, any suggestions?
    I would say that the main criterion for selecting a date would be when the maximum amount of news media coverage could be accessed. The goal is to increase awareness and, perhaps, favorable attitudes. Generally, people don't care who Browning, Colt, or Gaston are, much less what their birthdays are.

The really important first steps, longwatch,are to decide what the communication message should be and who the target audience is.

BTW, what's a megathread? :shock:

Post imported post

Reaching the general population would be great but I think we need to activate the gun owners first to do it. Thats why I think a symbolic date is useful. By megathread is just a place where participants can come to sign on with their plans to participate through regular OC or meetups, etc.

I think our message of course to show our right to keep and bear arms. To show that peaceable people can be armed in public.

Post imported post

"No but I think it is bad form to propose something if one has no intention of participating."

I OC everyday, all day and I have a holster screwed to the bed. Its between the towels when I take a bath. Only these damned signs get in my way for a few minutes.

I think OC would be harder to go unnoticed than just any T-shirt day. So start to join in on the 2nd of every month or any other day you can. Put your pistol where your belt is and stop walking helplessly through the world.:celebrateAce

Post imported post

Old fashioned bump.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast