• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Let's have a national OC day!!!

ace1001

imported post

Select a holiday for celibrating our 2nd Amendment rights and every gun owner OCs. Inform the police so they can participate....oh wait, they already OC.... I think it would NOT be a good day to plan an armed robbery.... Just ask the Daltons. What do you think? Has it been proposed? I'm new to the group. Ace

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

ace1001 wrote:
Select a holiday for celibrating our 2nd Amendment rights and every gun owner OCs. Inform the police so they can participate....oh wait, they already OC....... What do you think? Has it been proposed? I'm new to the group.

It's a great idea.

Spreading awareness about the legality, practiceand justifiability of OC is a good idea. A National Day is a good idea. Kind of like the National Smokeout or something like that. Public Relations, man.

There just aren't enough OCers interested in doing it. And there aren't that many OCers out there. Besides VA (where most of the OCing gets done) and OH, WA, AZ, it's pretty slim pickins.

Deleted Personal Attack

dkd

imported post

HankT wrote:
ace1001 wrote:
Select a holiday for celibrating our 2nd Amendment rights and every gun owner OCs. Inform the police so they can participate....oh wait, they already OC....... What do you think? Has it been proposed? I'm new to the group.

It's a great idea.

Spreading awareness about the legality, practiceand justifiability of OC is a good idea. A National Day is a good idea. Kind of like the National Smokeout or something like that. Public Relations, man.

There just aren't enough OCers interested in doing it. And there aren't that many OCers out there. Besides VA (where most of the OCing gets done) and OH, WA, AZ, it's pretty slim pickins.
Deleted Personal Attackim sure this has been asked before but do you OC HankT?

ace1001

imported post

I read the old posts. The 2nd of each month sounds great. Has it caught on? Maybe the first Saturday is OK too. Mowing the lawn packing is pretty hard to call the cops on...hey, this guy is mowing his own lawn...has pistol...sent SWAT!!!!:what: Ace

ace1001

imported post

I read the old posts. The 2nd of each month sounds great. Has it caught on? Maybe the first Saturday is OK too. Mowing the lawn packing is pretty hard to call the cops on...hey, this guy is mowing his own lawn...has pistol...sent SWAT!!!!:what: Ace

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

ace1001 wrote:

A one day per year event would be great. A lot of movements have those. Sure, when starting out, they are not that big. But the best example is the National Smokeout day. It's pretty big now. Started from nothing...

Did you know that National Memory ScreeningDay was yesterday? You might some year in the future, if the awareness gets out there. It's about awareness.

Some OCers would rather to other, largely ineffective things than do a National OC Day.

It's very strange. Public relations is a big part of spreading favorable awareness for a movement or idea such as open carry.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I believe what Hank is trying to say is that it would be another "you fill this in with whatever" day; another pointless day that no one is going to pay attention to except for a small group of people who are involved.

And I agree with Hank for the most part. There's no harm in having a day, but I could care less what day it is, because I OC everyday; in other words, every day is OC day for me. I doubt that designating an OC day is going to spread much information about OC.

By the way, I declare today dngreer day. Everyone needs to wear dngreer stickers, and tell everyone they come across what a great guy dngreer is.:cool:

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

dngreer wrote:
I believe what Hank is trying to say is that it would be another "you fill this in with whatever" day; another pointless day that no one is going to pay attention to except for a small group of people who are involved.

And I agree with Hank for the most part. There's no harm in having a day, but I could care less what day it is, because I OC everyday; in other words, every day is OC day for me. I doubt that designating an OC day is going to spread much information about OC.

By the way, I declare today dngreer day. Everyone needs to wear dngreer stickers, and tell everyone they come across what a great guy dngreer is.:cool:

It's hardly pointless. The goal would be:

raise awareness of OC as a legal practice and right in various states in the U.S.

Right now, that awareness level is extremely low. Among citizens, police, legislators, the media, even pro-gunners. People grouse about that all the time.

An annual National OC Day would be a tried and true public relations effort to accomplish the goal. It would not be about your OCing every day. Done correctly, an annual National OC day could be a fantastic endeavor. It could hardly help but "spread much information about OC." And, if done right, it would be favorable information about OC.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

dkd wrote:
im sure this has been asked before but do you OC HankT?

I pretty much answered this question in the Does HankT Actually Open Carry?thread back in May.

Is theresome kind of requirement orsomething?

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Probably would help to open carry if one wanted to accepted as some kind of authority on the subject. Since that thread is gone and dkd wasn't around then its a valid question from him. What would you do on National OC Day?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

longwatch wrote:
Probably would help to open carry if one wanted to accepted as some kind of authority on the subject. Since that thread is gone and dkd wasn't around then its a valid question from him. What would you do on National OC Day?
Is open carry a requirement of some kind on this forum, longwatch?

longwatch

imported post

No but I think it is bad form to propose something if one has no intention of participating.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

longwatch wrote:
No but I think it is bad form to propose something if one has no intention of participating.

Bad form? Not pure enough in some way? :D

I recall some fellow posted here, asking for advice on his plan to wear a tactical vestin public to carry his XD and his extra mags.

You, as I recall, suggested that he get a permit and concealed carry instead of being "ostentatious." You discouraged OC. And thiswas on OCDO!

I thought that was rather bad form...I would think it's bad form to try suggest someone CC when all they wanted to do was OC.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum62/1826.html

I wonder what you would do in an annual National OC day, LW. Would you be disapproving of certain holsters or vests if you didn't like them? ;)

longwatch

imported post

I do believe I recanted myself and saw the error of my ways. We have had this discussion before. Still you haven't said what you would do on National OC day.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

longwatch wrote:
I do believe I recanted myself and saw the error of my ways. We have had this discussion before. Still you haven't said what you would do on National OC day.

I think it was good that you recanted. Though you pretty obstinately tried to defend your initial censorious reaction.

I didn't propose the National OC day in this thread. Someone else did. I just said it would be a very good idea. Public relations and all that. This was in direct reply to the request in the OP for thoughts/opinions.

dkd asked whether I OC and you are asking the same question. Both of those questions are off topic.

The topic is whether ....well, here it is:

Let's have a national OC day!!!

Select a holiday for celibrating our 2nd Amendment rights and every gun owner OCs. Inform the police so they can participate....oh wait, they already OC.... I think it would NOT be a good day to plan an armed robbery.... Just ask the Daltons. What do you think? Has it been proposed?

So, let's get back on topic, LW. Do you think a National OC day is a good idea? Or not? You haven't said....

longwatch

imported post

Now you are hiding behind it being off topic? The question of what will you do on National OC Day is very on topic I think, you said it was a good idea and I agree with you. I just want to have an idea of how much support we will have. Its good to know if people like you will participate, help out or not.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

longwatch wrote:
Now you are hiding behind it being off topic? The question of what will you do on National OC Day is very on topic I think, you said it was a good idea and I agree with you. I just want to have an idea of how much support we will have. Its good to know if people like you will participate, help out or not.

I'd be very glad to participate. This would be a good project for OCDO. VCDL really can't get involved in such an event.

I'm glad you thinkan annual National OC Day it's a good idea, LW. It's a viable idea. Worked right, the output is moreawareness of OC being presented in a favorable light. To educate the folks out there--from sheeps to law-makers.

Frankly, I'm surprised that folks have not expressed energetic support for the idea when the idea has come up before. I wonder how much support there would be?

But with longwatch in favor of the idea, that's gotta result in people agreeing with you.

Virginia is the place where OC is happening the most. But there have to be several other states that could be represented to make it a NATIONAL event. With, essentially, free advertising.

What do others think about the idea?