• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Texas Birdwatcher on Trial for Killing Cat

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

There won't be a retrial...

Mistrial declared in cat-shooting case

By Scott E. Williams
The Daily News

Published November 17, 2007

GALVESTON — After a judge declared a mistrial, prosecutors said they won’t retry a Galveston bird watcher who shot and killed a cat near San Luis Pass.

Visiting Judge Frank Carmona declared a mistrial Friday afternoon in the case of Jim Stevenson, 54, after the 56th State District Court jury announced it could not reach a unanimous verdict.

Reports that the deadlock was eight votes for guilty, four votes for not guilty could not be confirmed. State law requires all criminal verdicts to be unanimous.

Stevenson, president of the Galveston Ornithological Society, faced a charge of cruelty to animals for shooting a cat near the San Luis Pass bridge in November 2006.

The crux of the case was whether the cat was feral or domesticated. While a mistrial means that prosecutors could retry the case, First Assistant District Attorney Joel Bennett said they would not.

“We have gathered all the evidence that is there to be gathered, and a jury that heard all this evidence could not reach a unanimous verdict,” he said. “There’s no reason to suspect another jury would be able to do so, and we’re considering the matter closed.”

Stevenson said Friday night that he was relieved, not for himself, but for the creatures in the wild. He said media attention on his case — including coverage by broadcast-television networks and The New York Times — could lead people who cared about animals to work together.

“I think my relief is not so much that my case is over as it is for the potential here that the red and blue sides will be able to communicate now and find a solution that will work for cats and birds,” he said.

Defense attorney Tad A. Nelson said he was glad to know the case would not be returning to court.

“That’s great news,” he said. “Jim Stevenson did not deserve to have a felony on his record for this. He’s an honorable man, and he’s completely devoted to those birds and committed to eco-tourism.”

However, Nelson remained as critical of prosecutors’ handling of the case as he had been during the trial, calling the prosecution efforts “dishonest” and accusing them of pandering to emotions in lieu of the facts.

“From the get-go, they never argued the case,” Nelson said. “They just said, ‘Aw, this is so inhumane.’ They tried to incite the jury, and I found that offensive.”

County Criminal District Attorney Kurt Sistrunk said Nelson’s assertion was baseless.

“Prosecuting animal cruelty cases isn’t an imagined concern that’s only present in Galveston County,” Sistrunk said. “In fact, if you look at what the state Legislature did in the last session, you’ll see that the definition of ‘animal’ now includes ‘any stray or feral cat or dog.’ That’s the law.”

Stevenson and Nelson admitted Stevenson had shot the animal with his rifle but said the cat was feral and had been threatening birds in the area.

A bridge worker had claimed that he had cared for the cat, leaving it food and toys.

The charge applied against anyone who kills or seriously harms an animal “without legal authority or the owner’s consent.”

Police officer John Bertolino on Nov. 8 was on his way to the San Luis Pass, where a caller had reported hearing shots fired, when he stopped a van with a Galveston Ornithological Society logo on its side near 15 Mile Road. Bertolino found a. 22-caliber rifle in the van.

One of the toll bridge workers was following the van and later told police the van’s occupant had shot a cat, which suffered a severed spine. The cat died while Bertolino was taking it to a veterinarian.

Stevenson said he had only one problem remaining from the case.

“I just can’t get the reporters to stop calling,” he said.

http://news.galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=4fb909ab0d20bcee

-- John D.

imperialism2024

imported post

That latest story points to an even higher level of outrageousness of this "case". A felony for killing a cat? I'll admit, before this thread I didn't really think the animal rights crazies had gotten so far.

:cuss:

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

USAF_MetalChris wrote:
I know this is a different kind of situation, and there were no guns involved, but check this out...

Animal rights in the UK
I have no problem with that sentencing. That was a horribly cruel thing to do to an animal. It is well documented that people who act in such cruel manners to animals often escalate to physical cruelty to people. And even if he never escalated, that act shows an inhumanity I don't want to see out on the streets running around. That man deserved that sentence.

As for the case at hand, to not have put the cat out of it's misery was the cruelest part of the story. Once the guy decided to kill the cat, it was his responsibility to do his best to make a clean, quick kill, and when he didn't, it was his responsibility to put the animal out of it's misery. Any responsible hunter would do the same. Whether or not anyone agrees with his decision to shoot the cat, to not finish it once he started it was, in my mind, cruelty. He just shot it and drove away apparently. That makes him an A # 1 jerk. It also makes the charge of cruelty appropriate to my mind.

Had he taken the shot, failed to kill the animal and then as quickly and efficiently as possible put it out of it's misery, I would disagree with the cruelty charges.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

He may have driven away because at a distance, he thought the cat was dead...if it was down and not moving, that's a reasonable assumption. We were't there to know exactly how it went.

I also am against deliberate cruelty to animals, but not against killing pests...in my case, "pests" are all those bait-stealing/crapping-on-your-outdoor-restaurant-table/stealing-your-food-off-thembirds (gulls, grackels, pigeons, which should be a health department violation at least. You can have that "local color" so many tourists may find "quaint."

Now aCATpatrolling those eatery patios would sure stop that BS...but some restaurant patrons witnessing said "guard-cat" shredding a gull would be "disturbed." Maybe if it were a guard-DOG it'd be okay? Or perhaps the cat/dogwearing a cute little security-guard outfit -- complete with ahat and shiny badge -- might do the trick.

I'm also for aggressively prosecuting irresponsible pet owners with serious penalties attached.

-- John D.

P.S. Why don't we make things like illegal immigration and being in a gang felonies...instead of feral animal killing?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
He may have driven away because at a distance, he thought the cat was dead...if it was down and not moving, that's a reasonable assumption. We were't there to know exactly how it went.
I still contend it was his responsibility to get off his a$$ and verify the kill, and if it is not dead, put it out of it's misery. That is what I was taught whether killing a pest or hunting for food. My grandfather once made me track a nuisance groundhog I shot. I objected and he said, you shot it and it is your responsibilty to make sure it is dead and not suffering. We have the power to kill and we also have the responsibility to ensure that when we do, we do it as humanely as possible. Obviously I have killed pest animals before and don't object to that on principal. I object to the irresponsible manner in which he did so. Irresponsible use of firearms, or irresponsible follow up after using a firearm, makes us all look bad.

The story now is not that some guy killed a nuisance cat, that someone claimed was a pseudo-pet, because the cat was killing endangered species birds, but instead that some jacka$$ with a gun wounded a pet cat and then it died slowly and painfully.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
cloudcroft wrote:
I still contend it was his responsibility to get off his a$$ and verify the kill, and if it is not dead, put it out of it's misery. That is what I was taught whether killing a pest or hunting for food. My grandfather once made me track a nuisance groundhog I shot. I objected and he said, you shot it and it is your responsibilty to make sure it is dead and not suffering. We have the power to kill and we also have the responsibility to ensure that when we do, we do it as humanely as possible. Obviously I have killed pest animals before and don't object to that on principal. I object to the irresponsible manner in which he did so. Irresponsible use of firearms, or irresponsible follow up after using a firearm, makes us all look bad.

The story now is not that some guy killed a nuisance cat, that someone claimed was a pseudo-pet, because the cat was killing endangered species birds, but instead that some jacka$$ with a gun wounded a pet cat and then it died slowly and painfully.
...had shot a cat, which suffered a severed spine....
It is a very reasonable assumption that after this cat's spine was severed, it exhibited no obvious signs of living. Of course I wasn't there, nor were any of us, so how would we know? Lets get off of this speculating outside of the provided facts. He might have shot and left w/o verifying whether the cat was dead or not. He might have checked the cat and saw that it wasn't moving or visibly breathing and then left. He might have gotten a false reading from his tricorder and beamed up assuming it was dead. Get the idea?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

"The crux of the case was whether the cat was feral or domesticated."

I supply food and water for wild birds at my outdoor feeder, does that mean I own them, are they domesticated now? I would think just feeding and watering would meet the criteria of ownership.

In a case like this I like the three S's....Shoot, Shovel, and Shutup.

Heartless_Conservative

imported post

Which, if applied in a civilian shooting incident, no matter how justified, would most likely land you a 1st Degree Murder conviction. If you think prosecutors have too much lee-way in a regular incident, imagine what they could do with evidence tampering.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Heartless_Conservative wrote:

Which, if applied in a civilian shooting incident, no matter how justified, would most likely land you a 1st Degree Murder conviction. If you think prosecutors have too much lee-way in a regular incident, imagine what they could do with evidence tampering.
You must have misunderstood my post. What evidence? Ssssshhhhh!

imperialism2024

imported post

Venator wrote:
Heartless_Conservative wrote:

You must have misunderstood my post. What evidence? Ssssshhhhh!

And then if there isn't enough evidence otherwise to prove premeditation, they can seize your computer and access these forum posts to prove it. Nicely done.

I'm surprised that the animal rights' groups didn't throw more ammunition, so to speak, behind this case, and it could have been the beginning of a legal campaign against hunting.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

8 women 4 men on the jury, reported 8 votes guilty, 4 not guilty. Coincidence? I think not.