Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Question about opencarry in salem under 21

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13

    Post imported post

    I am curious on what the law exactly states for open carry.

    I am 20 years old, therefore I am not able to get my CHL yet.



    From what I understand I can open carry in a holster as long as the gun is unloaded... seems pointless. Does unloaded mean I can carry 2 mags on the other side of my belt or in my pocket loaded? So technically the gun is unloaded but could be loaded in a moments notice.



    I am just trying to understand what I can legally do here. If I cant carry any ammo on me then its completely pointless to open carry now isnt it :/



    I live in Polk County in Salem if that makes a difference.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Tigard, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    105

    Post imported post

    You are correct, in order to open carry in Salem, Portland, Oregon City, Tigard, Beaverton, and I believe also Dallas; the firearm must be unloaded unless you have a CHL.

    Unloaded by "ordinace" means no rounds in the chamber, orclip as well you can't carry a loaded magazine on your person i.e. in your pocket or on your belt.

    So technically the gun is unloadedand can't be loaded in a moments notice.

    You can however carry rounds in your pocket or in a case on your belt as long as none are in the mag or hand gun itself.

    I assume the intent is for you run away when confronted by a "threat". Take cover, load your fire arm and hopefully the "threat" will be over because you were able to escape.

    If your lucky enoughand managed to load up with out being victimized.... Then you could perhaps consider defending your self.

    However if you were to load up and then go looking for "trouble", make sure you have a good lawyer as your ass will be in a definate legal sling.

    You do however have options, you could always throw your side arm at em or try and hit em with it with out violating any gun ordanices.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13

    Post imported post

    SetivaSicWood wrote:
    You are correct, in order to open carry in Salem, Portland, Oregon City, Tigard, Beaverton, and I believe also Dallas; the firearm must be unloaded unless you have a CHL.

    Unloaded by "ordinace" means no rounds in the chamber, orclip as well you can't carry a loaded magazine on your person i.e. in your pocket or on your belt.

    So technically the gun is unloadedand can't be loaded in a moments notice.

    You can however carry rounds in your pocket or in a case on your belt as long as none are in the mag or hand gun itself.

    I assume the intent is for you run away when confronted by a "threat". Take cover, load your fire arm and hopefully the "threat" will be over because you were able to escape.

    If your lucky enoughand managed to load up with out being victimized.... Then you could perhaps consider defending your self.

    However if you were to load up and then go looking for "trouble", make sure you have a good lawyer as your ass will be in a definate legal sling.

    You do however have options, you could always throw your side arm at em or try and hit em with it with out violating any gun ordanices.


    Ha I love this. I am currently in law school and things like this make me wonder if there is any point



    you are correct my intent would be to take cover load up and hope the situation comes to a conclusion before there is any need to defend myself with a firearm.



    If possible could you tell me the ordinance # this is stated, I want to have a print out of this on my person/vehicle in case I ever do chose to OC before having my CHL. From the fine Salem PD members I have had conversations about on this subject they all seem to have different thoughts/views on what the law states and I would like to be able to prove otherwise.

    I think I saw it in a few post here but didn’t see any part stating unloaded and the meaning.



    I do appreciate it! Are there any good ranges in your area? I haven’t found 1 here in Salem yet, and am tired plinking away at my buddies house out in the boonies!

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    , Oregon, USA
    Posts
    30

    Post imported post

    AlbanyRifle and PistolClub is a great place to shoot. From West Salem it is about 45 minutes away. You can draw and move and shoot at ARPCand that is a huge advantage over all the other ranges in the area. Salem doesn't really have a "good" range as far as I know.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13

    Post imported post

    Deovin1 wrote:
    AlbanyRifle and PistolClub is a great place to shoot. From West Salem it is about 45 minutes away. You can draw and move and shoot at ARPCand that is a huge advantage over all the other ranges in the area. Salem doesn't really have a "good" range as far as I know.


    You're in West Salem? As am I!



    I wouldnt mind driving to albany to shoot! I'll have to look into that.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    , Oregon, USA
    Posts
    30

    Post imported post

    Blacryan wrote:
    Deovin1 wrote:
    AlbanyRifle and PistolClub is a great place to shoot. From West Salem it is about 45 minutes away. You can draw and move and shoot at ARPCand that is a huge advantage over all the other ranges in the area. Salem doesn't really have a "good" range as far as I know.


    You're in West Salem? As am I!



    I wouldnt mind driving to albany to shoot! I'll have to look into that.
    No, I am not from West Salem. However, I do know that the only part of Salem that is in Polk County is West Salem!

    Here is the link to their website. http://www.arpc.info/

    Enjoy!

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13

    Post imported post

    Deovin1 wrote:
    Blacryan wrote:
    Deovin1 wrote:
    AlbanyRifle and PistolClub is a great place to shoot. From West Salem it is about 45 minutes away. You can draw and move and shoot at ARPCand that is a huge advantage over all the other ranges in the area. Salem doesn't really have a "good" range as far as I know.


    You're in West Salem? As am I!



    I wouldnt mind driving to albany to shoot! I'll have to look into that.
    No, I am not from West Salem. However, I do know that the only part of Salem that is in Polk County is West Salem!

    Here is the link to their website. http://www.arpc.info/

    Enjoy!


    You're a thinker... Thank you =)

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,327

    Post imported post

    I assume the intent is for you run away when confronted by a "threat". Take cover, load your fire arm and hopefully the "threat" will be over because you were able to escape.
    I think you're crediting the town fathers in those various places with far too much thoughtfulness, rather than these bans being a kneejer response based on "guns = ungood, handguns = double plus ungood".


  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lehi, Utah, USA
    Posts
    478

    Post imported post

    Just buy a revolver and a speed loader. Shorter load time (mags can be a pain)and still not breaking the law (from how I understand it anyways)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •