• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about opencarry in salem under 21

Blacryan

imported post

I am curious on what the law exactly states for open carry.

I am 20 years old, therefore I am not able to get my CHL yet.

From what I understand I can open carry in a holster as long as the gun is unloaded... seems pointless. Does unloaded mean I can carry 2 mags on the other side of my belt or in my pocket loaded? So technically the gun is unloaded but could be loaded in a moments notice.

I am just trying to understand what I can legally do here. If I cant carry any ammo on me then its completely pointless to open carry now isnt it :/

I live in Polk County in Salem if that makes a difference.

SetivaSicWood

imported post

You are correct, in order to open carry in Salem, Portland, Oregon City, Tigard, Beaverton, and I believe also Dallas; the firearm must be unloaded unless you have a CHL.

Unloaded by "ordinace" means no rounds in the chamber, orclip as well you can't carry a loaded magazine on your person i.e. in your pocket or on your belt.

So technically the gun is unloadedand can't be loaded in a moments notice.

You can however carry rounds in your pocket or in a case on your belt as long as none are in the mag or hand gun itself.

I assume the intent is for you run away when confronted by a "threat". Take cover, load your fire arm and hopefully the "threat" will be over because you were able to escape.

If your lucky enoughand managed to load up with out being victimized.... Then you could perhaps consider defending your self.

However if you were to load up and then go looking for "trouble", make sure you have a good lawyer as your ass will be in a definate legal sling.

You do however have options, you could always throw your side arm at em or try and hit em with it with out violating any gun ordanices.

Blacryan

imported post

SetivaSicWood wrote:
You are correct, in order to open carry in Salem, Portland, Oregon City, Tigard, Beaverton, and I believe also Dallas; the firearm must be unloaded unless you have a CHL.

Unloaded by "ordinace" means no rounds in the chamber, orclip as well you can't carry a loaded magazine on your person i.e. in your pocket or on your belt.

So technically the gun is unloadedand can't be loaded in a moments notice.

You can however carry rounds in your pocket or in a case on your belt as long as none are in the mag or hand gun itself.

I assume the intent is for you run away when confronted by a "threat". Take cover, load your fire arm and hopefully the "threat" will be over because you were able to escape.

If your lucky enoughand managed to load up with out being victimized.... Then you could perhaps consider defending your self.

However if you were to load up and then go looking for "trouble", make sure you have a good lawyer as your ass will be in a definate legal sling.

You do however have options, you could always throw your side arm at em or try and hit em with it with out violating any gun ordanices.

Ha I love this. I am currently in law school and things like this make me wonder if there is any point

you are correct my intent would be to take cover load up and hope the situation comes to a conclusion before there is any need to defend myself with a firearm.

If possible could you tell me the ordinance # this is stated, I want to have a print out of this on my person/vehicle in case I ever do chose to OC before having my CHL. From the fine Salem PD members I have had conversations about on this subject they all seem to have different thoughts/views on what the law states and I would like to be able to prove otherwise.

I think I saw it in a few post here but didn’t see any part stating unloaded and the meaning.

I do appreciate it! Are there any good ranges in your area? I haven’t found 1 here in Salem yet, and am tired plinking away at my buddies house out in the boonies!

Deovin1

imported post

AlbanyRifle and PistolClub is a great place to shoot. From West Salem it is about 45 minutes away. You can draw and move and shoot at ARPCand that is a huge advantage over all the other ranges in the area. Salem doesn't really have a "good" range as far as I know.

Blacryan

imported post

Deovin1 wrote:
AlbanyRifle and PistolClub is a great place to shoot. From West Salem it is about 45 minutes away. You can draw and move and shoot at ARPCand that is a huge advantage over all the other ranges in the area. Salem doesn't really have a "good" range as far as I know.

You're in West Salem? As am I!

I wouldnt mind driving to albany to shoot! I'll have to look into that.

Deovin1

imported post

Blacryan wrote:
Deovin1 wrote:

No, I am not from West Salem. However, I do know that the only part of Salem that is in Polk County is West Salem! ;)

Here is the link to their website. http://www.arpc.info/

Enjoy!

Blacryan

imported post

Deovin1 wrote:
Blacryan wrote:
Deovin1 wrote:

No, I am not from West Salem. However, I do know that the only part of Salem that is in Polk County is West Salem! ;)

Here is the link to their website. http://www.arpc.info/

Enjoy!

You're a thinker... Thank you =)

kparker

imported post

I think you're crediting the town fathers in those various places with far too much thoughtfulness, rather than these bans being a kneejer response based on "guns = ungood, handguns = double plus ungood".

xmirage2kx

imported post

Just buy a revolver and a speed loader. Shorter load time (mags can be a pain)and still not breaking the law (from how I understand it anyways)