• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry report

HungSquirrel

imported post

Attire: dress casual, with my Baby Eagle at my 3:30. As I probe the OC waters in urban businesses, it doesn't hurt to look nice. The sheeple stare at you less. As I see how things go, I'll start wearing more comfortable clothing.

Before I went, I checked both companies' websites to see if they prohibit firearms. I didn't find any info related to firearms on either site. Anyone know if they are anti?

Best Buy: I was cordially greeted by the Loss Prevention girl at the front, and got no more than the usual "can I help you find anything today, sir?" from the floor employees. I think only one customer noticed my firearm, and I think the only employee who noticed was the LP girl at the front. No one said anything, and I was not harassed.

Taco Bell on Dauphin at I-65: As I entered and ordered, I was treated cordially by the staff. No one noticed my firearm until I got a refill. The young man behind the counter's eyes got really big, and he whispered something to the rest of the staff, but no one bothered me.

Overall, smoother than I expected.

kurtmax_0

imported post

Hrmmmm.. I'm glad you are trying this out. Let us know how it keeps going.

How's the baby eagle? It's not on my short list of firearms to buy, but I've heard good things about it compared to a deagle. I can imagine a deagle might turn a few more heads :p

HungSquirrel

imported post

I got a great deal on it and a Fobus retention paddle holster used. I have the polymer compact 9mm model with octogonal rifling. Accuracy is fair...I'd much prefer a Sig, but they are :cuss:'ing expensive.

Overall, I'm happy with the price I paid, but there's no way I would pay full retail for it when for $200 more I could have a quality Sig.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

Great to hear that it went well for you...although I can't help but feel that this is "an arrest looking for a place to happen"......good luck!
Keep us posted....

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

I agree with Comp Tech. The business employees/managers probably aren't going to bother you. They'll probably just call the cops, and in the middle of your Grande Enchilaburrito, you're going to get smacked with an asp, thrown to the ground, disarmed, handcuffed, and called all sorts of nasty things in your local paper.

This is, of course, only based on my own experiences. I hope this doesn't happen to you man. Good luck and keep us posted on how everything's going.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

vmathis12019 wrote:
I agree with Comp Tech. The business employees/managers probably aren't going to bother you. They'll probably just call the cops, and in the middle of your Grande Enchilaburrito, you're going to get smacked with an asp, thrown to the ground, disarmed, handcuffed, and called all sorts of nasty things in your local paper.

This is, of course, only based on my own experiences. I hope this doesn't happen to you man. Good luck and keep us posted on how everything's going.
Is it really that bad down there? You guys should plan an OC Day!

kurtmax_0

imported post

openryan wrote:
vmathis12019 wrote:

Then we can have a party with the SWAT team!

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
openryan wrote:
vmathis12019 wrote:

Then we can have a party with the SWAT team!
Maybe Hooters should get rid of bike night and have OC night?

HungSquirrel

imported post

Comp-tech wrote:
Great to hear that it went well for you...although I can't help but feel that this is "an arrest looking for a place to happen"......good luck!
Keep us posted....
I'm confused. Alabama is supposedly an OC state. There is an active forum here where Alabama OCers discuss the issue. Why is this an arrest waiting to happen? Is it because I am OCing in an urban area? Does anyone actually OC in Alabama?

In other news, I recently renewed my pistol permit. When I inquired as to the legality of OC, the permit counter clerk said it was "illegal". I love how informed the police are down here. :uhoh:

kurtmax_0

imported post

Read some of the threads. Short answer is: OC is legal, but not in the eyes of the police. You will eventualy be stopped, arrested, and then when the police figure out it's not illegal slapped with a BS charge like disorderly conduct. You will then pay a few thousand in legal costs just to get the charges dismissed, and be forced to give the police dept immunity to a lawsuit, or spend alot more and fight it in court and then file a case vs the dept and get a few pennies awarded to ya.

Also remember, that if you are arrested for anything in your life, your employment chances are cut by 50%. It doesn't matter if the record is expunged or that it's illegal for the companies to discriminate not based on convictions.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
Read some of the threads. Short answer is: OC is legal, but not in the eyes of the police. You will eventualy be stopped, arrested, and then when the police figure out it's not illegal slapped with a BS charge like disorderly conduct. You will then pay a few thousand in legal costs just to get the charges dismissed, and be forced to give the police dept immunity to a lawsuit, or spend alot more and fight it in court and then file a case vs the dept and get a few pennies awarded to ya.

Also remember, that if you are arrested for anything in your life, your employment chances are cut by 50%. It doesn't matter if the record is expunged or that it's illegal for the companies to discriminate not based on convictions.

As all of you know, this is EXACTLY what happened to me in Andalusia back in May. I was fortunate and found an attorney who was local and a RKBA enthusiast and decided to take my case pro bono. I also lucked out that the charge was filed in the municipal court. This simplified the process. However, you will have to waive your legal rights to pursue damages due to a false arrest/wrongful prosecution against both the city and the department that arrests you. Therefor, you stand to gain absolutely NOTHING by OCing in Alabama. If you are on "property not under your control" you will be charged under 13A-11-52, and probably with a disorderly conduct charge as well. You will also have your pistol permit revoked at the request of the arresting department.

Again, this is all from personal experience. I was EXTREMELY fortunate that the sheriff of Covington County was understanding and reinstated my permit. Remember that Alabama is a "May issue" state so there is no legal action you can take against the Sheriff if he revokes your permit for illegitimate reasons.

Now, after saying all that, allow me to say this. I do in fact OC on rare occassion in Alabama, but it's only in places that I am 100% confident that nothing can be done about it (i.e. my own property, property of friends, my workplace, etc...)

kurtmax_0

imported post

Actually, there are a few court cases that explain the Sheriff doesn't have complete discretion over who to issue permits... I'm sure you could get a writ mandamus to compel him to issue, since charges were dropped. Although, it would costs a nice bit.

Mr.Advocate

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I didn't see anything wrong with what you did there, but as many has said in this post, the LEO's think open carrying is wrong for law abiding citizens, they don't care if we CC, but if we OC it seems to tick them off, just wondering why these guys make such a mountain out of a molehill. It's pointless, are they trying to prove to us there power and authority they already have, cause they don't have to do that, can't we just all get along:cool:lol. Well if this petition to change the OC'ing and CC'ing doesn't change here in Al, I might just uproot myself from Al and move elsewhere, where I can have peace of mind in not being harassed just for OC'ing. Its just insane arresting somebody for OC'ing and making something up to take there permit and arrest them, thats just wrong as hell.:cuss: