• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A Cop "open carries" in Alabama

smttysmth02gt

imported post

HungSquirrel wrote:
And I seriously doubt that a cop would arrest someone for having pictures taken with an unloaded Ar15.
Carry one in Mobile. See what happens.
They weren't CARRYING them around. Sheesh. There is a huge difference between standing in front of a camera with an unloaded AR15 and walking down a busy street with one. Let's be realistic people.

kurtmax_0

imported post

Sorry, I incorrectly remembered NJPD. Like I said this thread was necroed so I couldn't remember the story completely.

Actually, iirc, at least the guy in charge was fired. Although he had some other problems that were more... problematic.. as well.

Also, I don't think anybody should be arrested over this. I'm simply asking what image you would like them to be portraying. I don't think a majority of people in this country would appreciate their cops posing with hooters babes and ARs.

You never answered my question about a real corporation. The fact is, if you were a lineman for, say, Alabama Power, and posed with hooters babes with a line truck and cabling, you can bet your ass you'd be getting a pink slip the next day.

Why should cops not be held to as high of a standard?

Also, do you feel safe that someone who would treat a firearm so casually is allowed to carry anywhere in the US... even places that you cannot carry?

smttysmth02gt

imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
Sorry, I incorrectly remembered NJPD. Like I said this thread was necroed so I couldn't remember the story completely.

Actually, iirc, at least the guy in charge was fired. Although he had some other problems that were more... problematic.. as well.

Also, I don't think anybody should be arrested over this. I'm simply asking what image you would like them to be portraying. I don't think a majority of people in this country would appreciate their cops posing with hooters babes and ARs.

You never answered my question about a real corporation. The fact is, if you were a lineman for, say, Alabama Power, and posed with hooters babes with a line truck and cabling, you can bet your ass you'd be getting a pink slip the next day.

Why should cops not be held to as high of a standard?
We do not operate based on "opinion", we operate based on the law. What they do on their off time is their business. I don't give a shit about it. That's my opinion if I were the owner of a company, or for that matter, those officers supervisor. I do not care if they had a giant orgy together and recorded it and put it on a website legally. They are human beings and are alotted the same freedoms that you and I are. They broke no laws, therefore, anything that may have resulted from this "incident" is complete and utter bull$hit.

The only problem I'd see is them wasting taxpayer money via gas for whatever they were doing. As far as the pictures and video, I really don't care. Hooters is a resteraunt, not a strip joint, therefore anyone who doesn't like the pictures because of moral beliefs or whatever other reason is being silly. It has nothing to do with "standards" since that's relative to the individual.

smttysmth02gt

imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
Also, do you feel safe that someone who would treat a firearm so casually is allowed to carry anywhere in the US... even places that you cannot carry?
Missed this part. You would have to be more specific. I think that's quite nitpicking. Gun safety rules apply mainly when checking to make sure a gun is not loaded. After that if it's in your possession it's fair game. Acting like it's loaded constantly would be retarded and render it useless when doing anything with it short of shooting.

In case you're wondering, I have no idea what kind of accusation you're trying to make here. Maybe letting the Hooters girls hold the unloaded AR? I don't know. This entire argument seems rather weak and biased, much like many others on this site I have seen that portray LEO's as worthless dogs who ALL want you to die a slave without any rights. Sorry, I choose to be objective and realistic.

kurtmax_0

imported post

Perhaps you didn't see the picture of the cop wearing a white napkin mask acting like he was in the KKK?

I'm not being unrealistic about the firearms. Yes, being unloaded makes them safe I suppose. I still wouldn't wave a rifle around at a horizontal level in a heavily populated area.

You seem to be holding cops above everyone else. I've said several times that if this were a normal person working for a company, they would have their ass canned in a day. How come the cops get to play with rifles and hooters chicks in official uniforms and whatnot?

Again, what kind of image are these cops trying to portray? You aren't concerned about them 'playing' with their firearms, posing with hooters chicks and acting as the KKK? Whatever happened to professionalism?

I'm not bashing cops in general, but I can't see how you can defend these specific cops in this situation. No, they didn't do anything illegal, but they are supposed to be professionals. No, they weren't grossly unsafe, but they didn't treat firearms very respectfully. I doubt they could say with certainty that their firearms were pointed in safe directions at all times (it doesn't matter if they are unloaded).

smttysmth02gt

imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
Perhaps you didn't see the picture of the cop wearing a white napkin mask acting like he was in the KKK?

I'm not being unrealistic about the firearms. Yes, being unloaded makes them safe I suppose. I still wouldn't wave a rifle around at a horizontal level in a heavily populated area.

You seem to be holding cops above everyone else. I've said several times that if this were a normal person working for a company, they would have their ass canned in a day. How come the cops get to play with rifles and hooters chicks in official uniforms and whatnot?

Again, what kind of image are these cops trying to portray? You aren't concerned about them 'playing' with their firearms, posing with hooters chicks and acting as the KKK? Whatever happened to professionalism?

I'm not bashing cops in general, but I can't see how you can defend these specific cops in this situation. No, they didn't do anything illegal, but they are supposed to be professionals. No, they weren't grossly unsafe, but they didn't treat firearms very respectfully. I doubt they could say with certainty that their firearms were pointed in safe directions at all times (it doesn't matter if they are unloaded).
Nope, I sure didn't see that picture. I don't hold cops above everyone else, but I am objective when discussing situations involving them because I actually know what they deal with. You guys have been biased against cops in nearly every situation I've seen on this board. It gets old when you refuse to be objective and pay attention.

kurtmax_0

imported post

This entire forum, or just the Alabama section? I don't pay attention to most of the other subsections (except holsters).

The thing is, most LEO encounters on this forum are going to be negative. If someone isn't harassed then there is nothing to write about!

If 'bashing' a cop because he's harassing a law abiding citizen that isn't breaking any laws isn't being objective, than I guess there is no arguing with you.

So yeah, I guess we 'bash' the handful of cops that go out of their way to be asshats, but you don't see us bashing cops that leave us alone.

smttysmth02gt

imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
This entire forum, or just the Alabama section? I don't pay attention to most of the other subsections (except holsters).

The thing is, most LEO encounters on this forum are going to be negative. If someone isn't harassed then there is nothing to write about!

If 'bashing' a cop because he's harassing a law abiding citizen that isn't breaking any laws isn't being objective, than I guess there is no arguing with you.

So yeah, I guess we 'bash' the handful of cops that go out of their way to be asshats, but you don't see us bashing cops that leave us alone.
Nope. I'm talking about threads that nobody has direction involvement with. I'm not referring to any personal experiences here.

kurtmax_0

imported post

Also, iirc the 'hooters cops' PD investigated and removed all of those involved from the SWAT team, and some of them to desk duty. Apparently even their own supervisors thought they were being a bit over-the-top.

I think the main point of this story, however, is not that the cops should be fired, but that if non-cops were doing this in Alabama. That is, posing with hooters girls in a parking lot with rifles, you can bet there would be a heavy police response.

smttysmth02gt

imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
Also, iirc the 'hooters cops' PD investigated and removed all of those involved from the SWAT team, and some of them to desk duty. Apparently even their own supervisors thought they were being a bit over-the-top.

I think the main point of this story, however, is not that the cops should be fired, but that if non-cops were doing this in Alabama. That is, posing with hooters girls in a parking lot with rifles, you can bet there would be a heavy police response.
Stop comparing yourself in the situation...what about the TAC unit here in Mobile? Would that have the same response? I don't think so.

jerg_064

imported post

smittysmith02gt said:
We do not operate based on "opinion", we operate based on the law.

Were not supposed to operate on 'opinion'. The sad factual truth is, that these days, our laws are made on opinions. Often these laws made from opinions contradict the Constitution-"The Supreme Law of the Land" and when they do the are in fact NOT law.

smttysmth02gt wrote:
Missed this part. You would have to be more specific. I think that's quite nitpicking. Gun safety rules apply mainly when checking to make sure a gun is not loaded. After that if it's in your possession it's fair game. Acting like it's loaded constantly would be retarded and render it useless when doing anything with it short of shooting.

That is a rediculous and irresponsible statement. Guns SHOULD be treated as if they are loaded at ALL times by the mass majority of people. I've observed these rules since I was 4 years old and this way of acting most certainly does not 'render it useless when doing anything short of shooting'. The only thing this simple rule requires is keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction and not putting your finger on the trigger unless you plan to shoot what your aiming at.

There are very few exceptions to this rule, such as dry fire pratice and putting a weapon in rack safe condition. There are other things such as this that are acceptable, but you should still NEVER recklessly point or waive a barrel around at orin the vicinity ofother human beings or in a direction when you are unaware of what's beyond! Obeying this ruleinstills muscle memory in a personso that they unconsciously ensure theywill never accidently shoot another person.Using this method significantlyincreasesyourchances of never shooting another innocent human beingin a high stress situation or any situation where you cannot think and concentrate to your full potential.

Such as a tired old hunter that's a bit lost and has been hiking for hours, his heart rate is up, his head is not clear, and he has sweat in his eyes.Then he sees something he belives is the game he's hunting. Normally he would just scope it and not put his finger on the trigger until he's 100% positive what he's aiming at.Since he didn't always impletment the first rule of firearms safetywhen handling weapons and his mind is cloudy and sweat is burning his eyes;he puts his finger on the trigger and is so exhausted and yet excited that he pulls the trigger early and kills another hunter. This is a very realistic situation that can be avoided by always practicing the first rule of firearms safety.

Back on topic.

Yes long gun OC is generally accepted, but that doesn't mean you can carry a firearm in your hands. It is not treated any differently than standing around in front of Hooters with a handgun in your hand. So what if there's no mag, there could still be a round in the chamber. LEOs as you said are normal human beings and make mistakes as such. If my handgun has to be holstered, then I'm pretty sure a long gun has to be slung.

I don't think people are bothered by the fact alone that the LEOs were off duty at Hooters. It's the double standard, if you honestly believe you could go stand in front of Hooters with some friends and several AR-15s posing for pictures without being arrested or at least harrassed by LE, Then go do it. Prove your point.

The fact that they let these random Hooters girls hold M-4s/M-16s close enough to the horizontal plane in a crowded area where the barrells without question were at least pointed at people legs is most certainly irresponsible.They're ina profession involving regularly handling weapons they should know better and should be held to a higher standard. When they exercise behavior otherwise, they should have consequenses, though not being fired on the first offense.

smttysmth02gt

imported post

You can respect them without fearing them. That's the reason OC is frowned upon from the get go, so I find it humorous you'd fear them that much to type so much about how to operate them. Thank you for the instructional. lol. That safety rant is wayyyyyyyy overboard. That's really all I'm gonna say so I don't hijack this thread, or have a brain aneurism from responding. Everyone knows the rules you typed out. My point was, there is nothing wrong with checking for rounds, seeing none, and handing it to someone to cop a feel or snap some pics with. Nuff said.

jerg_064

imported post

I have absolutely no fear of any weapon.Using safety measuresis what respecting a weapon is all about. A weapon is an inanimate object and only a fool would fear it. The safety rules are NOTabout the weapon,they're about the person holding the weapon. Human error is the biggest cause all accidental deaths. I'm afraid of the 'goof with a gun' that disregards the rules of safety whenever s/he sees fit. I acknowledge that I'm a human being and as such I am prone to error; I refuse to be a 'goof with a gun' myself by irresponsibly disregarding the safety rules established in order to prevent death or grave bodily injury.

Implementing muscle memory techniques is the most effective method in reducing 'human error'. "Practice like you Play and Play like you Practice"

smttysmth02gt

imported post

jerg_064 wrote:
I have absolutely no fear of any weapon.Using safety measuresis what respecting a weapon is all about. A weapon is an inanimate object and only a fool would fear it. The safety rules are NOTabout the weapon,they're about the person holding the weapon. Human error is the biggest cause all accidental deaths.

Implementing muscle memory techniques is the most effective method in reducing 'human error'. "Practice like you Play and Play like you Practice"
Right, I can agree to that, but from the photos I saw, I saw nothing that would merit "bad safety" or anything.

jerg_064

imported post

smttysmth02gt wrote:
Right, I can agree to that, but from the photos I saw, I saw nothing that would merit "bad safety" or anything.

I can't link the images so I'll list.

1479 appears as if it's pointed to the next to her.

1482-there's a hangun pointed at an LEO, and an M4 is almost horizontal

1483-girl 3rd from the right is pointing an M4 at the females to her right

1484-"^", girl 4th from left is pointing M4 directly at camera

Come on... no bad safety, Seriously?

smttysmth02gt

imported post

jerg_064 wrote:
smttysmth02gt wrote:

I can't link the images so I'll list.

1479 appears as if it's pointed to the next to her.

1482-there's a hangun pointed at an LEO, and an M4 is almost horizontal

1483-girl 3rd from the right is pointing an M4 at the females to her right

1484-"^", girl 4th from left is pointing M4 directly at camera

Come on... no bad safety, Seriously?
It's a photo shoot dude. Obviously they checked for rounds...if they didn't then yes, bad safety, if they did, no harm can come from a verified unloaded gun. Yes, seriously.

jerg_064

imported post

I can see what your getting at with it being a photo shoot n' all. But with the large number of people in a crowded area, outside a restaraunt where people go to drink and look at pretty women..... I think the firing pins should've at least been removed.

And yea, I would be totally stoked if I was the one getting pictures with a bunch of Hooter's girls with assault weapons.

smttysmth02gt

imported post

jerg_064 wrote:
I can see what your getting at with it being a photo shoot n' all. But with the large number of people in a crowded area, outside a restaraunt where people go to drink and look at pretty women..... I think the firing pins should've at least been removed.
I don't. Remove the ammo and the gun's a paperweight. Or in this case, a nice edition to eye candy.

jerg_064

imported post

smttysmth02gt wrote:
jerg_064 wrote:
I don't. Remove the ammo and the gun's a paperweight. Or in this case, a nice edition to eye candy.
Touche