• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A Cop "open carries" in Alabama

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

While the 'reporting' was actually a commentary and nothing near real objective journalism, they're stating that the guns were privately owned and the officers were off duty. However, I think that what they're doing would be considered brandishing and foolish by anyone who wasn't a cop.

unrequited

imported post

Definitely brandishing, and if any of us ever went into a Hooters with a long arm in hand, I doubt we'd walk out without being shackled. I guess that's why we have two sets of laws in this country.

kurtmax_0

imported post

I didn't see any pistols. Rifles are pretty much understood to be legal to OC... I would say that some of those pictures could be considered brandishing. And while the report said the firearms were privately owned so no taxpayers paid for this, I'm pretty sure all the other stuff was taxpayer property. At least I'm not a NY resident and have to pay for cop hooter runs...

bayboy42

imported post

That LT is an idiot. Definitely one trip where I'd require the camera to be left at home. I bet dollars to donuts it was one of his own swat members with the camera:banghead::banghead::cuss:

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
I didn't see any pistols. Rifles are pretty much understood to be legal to OC... I would say that some of those pictures could be considered brandishing. And while the report said the firearms were privately owned so no taxpayers paid for this, I'm pretty sure all the other stuff was taxpayer property. At least I'm not a NY resident and have to pay for cop hooter runs...

[align=left]FOX 5 INVESTIGATES[/align]

A Fox 5 exclusive: our investigative team has obtained disturbing pictures involving a local police lieutenant who is already in hot water. What you're about to see raises serious questions about the character and reputation of an elite and highly trained part of the police department. Watch John Deutzman's report and then view some other photos that were not in his report

John Deutzman tells us that Lt. Andriani is currently on an extended vacation and has not been suspended from the force.
Lt. Andriani called Wednesday afternoon and said that no laws were broken because the photos were taken in Alabama on their trip home. In Alabama, you are allowed to display guns in public.
He also said the guns are privately own and not paid for by taxpayers.
He explained they are attempting to take pictures for a calendar with the Hooters girls -- and that the cops were off duty at the time.
He denies all the allegations against him in the lawsuit, including having police work at his house.
He said his hands were not actually touching the girl's breasts in the picture shown in John Deutzman's report.
Andriani insists he wasn't home when John came knocking two days ago.

What's really interesting is that Lt. Andriani:

actually thought it was a good idea to do all the things he did.

Sometimes, you just can't stop people from doing stupid stuff.

What a dolt.

He's through.

Marco

imported post

just another incidentwhere the criminal (idiot) provides the best evidence against themselves.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

This is hillarious, sad actually. A few morons can make all the police look like idiots.

I hope this guy gets fired. They really should have used better judgement here. I wonder what their wives said about these pictures...?

LEO 229

imported post

The cops were off duty (traveling back) and took advantage of a photo-op with some hot hooters girls.. who would pass that up!! I did a photo with a hooters girl once ON DUTY but she was not holding my gun and I was not holding hers. ;)

I am sure the guns were made safe prior to handing them over for the photo. To me.. no real harm and if it had been a bunch of civilians they would have been within their lawful rights, no questions asked!!

Please remember that it is only brandishing if people are threatened and I am sure with everything being observed and the camera being used it was rather obvious what was going on. :D

kurtmax_0

imported post

1. People do get arrested for carrying long-arms. There was a thread about that last year.

2. There is no 'brandishing' law in Alabama. What you get charged with is disorderly conduct (S13A-11-7). It doesn't really apply, so you won't ultimately get convicted unless your lawyer has no brain...

LEO 229

imported post

nitrovic wrote:
While I'll agree that it is not brandishing, it is very disturbing. I also dispute the "off duty" remark. We had a bunch of guys go to Katrina as well and they got paid for the travel time (I'm sure Hoboken did as well). Therefore they were on duty. Either way the LT. deserves to get fired. At the VERY least demoted to officer one and made to retire.
In regards to being "off duty" it means there were not patrolling the streets. They were traveling and just because your getting paid during travel time is does not explicitly mean you are "on duty." It only means your being compensated for your time. Even during lunch you are getting paid but you are not actually working.

I am not sure why the LT should be been fired either. Is it because they took photos? Is it because they allowed citizens hold weapons rendered as safe prior? It has been a while since I have seen the photos but I do not recall anything so egregious that he should be fired or demoted and forced to retire.

Taking the photos may have been an error in judgement but I do not find it so serious thatanyone's employment on the department needed to be terminated.

kurtmax_0

imported post

IIRC he was fired for other reasons. 'Supposedly' he was having his underlings do housework and stuff for him as well...

My question is: If a bunch of us went to a hooters in alabama with 'rendered safe' rifles and started posing.. how long do you think it would take for the cops to arrive and gun us all down?

sigshape

imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
IIRC he was fired for other reasons. 'Supposedly' he was having his underlings do housework and stuff for him as well...

My question is: If a bunch of us went to a hooters in alabama with 'rendered safe' rifles and started posing.. how long do you think it would take for the cops to arrive and gun us all down?
he won't be replying to this

smttysmth02gt

imported post

You guys are all being flat out silly if you think the cops should be fired for taking pictures with hooters girls with guns. That's plain retarded. If no laws were broken then no laws were broken. End of story.

My only question would be, what are NJ police officers doing down here in AL? Were they on vacation? How did they transport their firearms down here (although I believe that any LEO can transport his/her firearms in any state in the U.S.)?

You guys are so contradictory sometimes. You think you can open carry and that's ok, but you think cops can't? Meh. There is nothing wrong with what he did.

kurtmax_0

imported post

This was a necroed thread. They were on their way back from Katrina iirc.

We aren't being contradictory. The fact is, if non-cops did the same thing, they would get arrested, even though it's not against the law.

Additionally, cops shouldn't be using their official equipment, with their official uniforms, etc. to pose with hooters girls. What kind of image are they trying to portray? Like it or not, they are representing the NYPD, and now the NYPD is represented by hooters girls. Do you think there is any large corporation in the US that wouldn't immediately fire their employees for doing the same exact thing?

Don't even get me started on how unresponsible they were with their firearms. They aren't toys to wave around and pose for pictures.

smttysmth02gt

imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
This was a necroed thread. They were on their way back from Katrina iirc.

We aren't being contradictory. The fact is, if non-cops did the same thing, they would get arrested, even though it's not against the law.

Additionally, cops shouldn't be using their official equipment, with their official uniforms, etc. to pose with hooters girls. What kind of image are they trying to portray? Like it or not, they are representing the NYPD, and now the NYPD is represented by hooters girls. Do you think there is any large corporation in the US that wouldn't immediately fire their employees for doing the same exact thing?

Don't even get me started on how unresponsible they were with their firearms. They aren't toys to wave around and pose for pictures.
Oh boy. As I stated previously, no laws were broken. And I seriously doubt that a cop would arrest someone for having pictures taken with an unloaded Ar15. You guys ARE contradictory...and WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too biased against LE. You guys assist in creating the "us vs them" mentality.

Personally, I don't really care what you think they "should" or "should not" be doing. The law is what matters, not your opinion. If you're going to think your opinion is that precious, then you won't mind being arrested for disorderly conduct if someone calls the cops because you're OC'ing. Legal or not, that would be a legitimate charge against you.

Btw, it was NJPD, not NY.

You guys really need to reconsider your approach to LE.