• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL Lobby Day at the General Assembly Jan 21

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

More than ever, there is a need for us to turn out and make an impact this year at the GA. The new Senate and split control dynamic of the legislature makes it imperative for us to flex our muscle this year. For many years now VCDL has turned out activists in ever larger numbers on the annual lobby day Martin Luther King Day. This year it falls on the 21st and anyone who can should save the day and come to Richmond. If you've never been it is an excellent experience. You are encouraged to speak with your legislators but if you do not wish to you can be grouped with other in delegations and visit key office holders.

I know I will be there again as I have for the last 3 years. If you have a permit you may be armed inside the assembly building and many of our folks will be. Its always a fun time, and I hope to see a strong OCDO contingent there.

Directions to the General Assembly Building.
GAB

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Considering how tough a year it's going to be Longwatch, we might want to consider posting directions and parking locations. That's always a major PITA for the area.

I'd really like to see a massive turnout this year. Some of the members might want to consider carpooling from some of the park and rides. I can take a few people from the Mechanicsville Park and ride. We need to pack the place!

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

I will be there for my second year. You can concealed or opem carry (with a CHP - even open carryng requires a CHP in the General Assembly due to a rules change). The Capital Police are used to it and very nice about it. They barely bat an eye.

I have taken off work for the day.

MadMaxZ06

imported post

Longwatch, were you the person who spoke at VCDL's meeting last night (11/15) about going down to Richmond on Jan. 21st? If so, I thought you did an excellent job in both content and delivery.

- Max

longwatch

imported post

No that was VCDL EM Dave Vann at the meeting, but I thought he was spot on and am just passing the word.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

We'll have room for 2 more in our car. Leaving from the Ft Belvoir area.

Thundar

imported post

SicSemperTyrannis wrote:
I will be there for my second year. You can concealed or opem carry (with a CHP - even open carryng requires a CHP in the General Assembly due to a rules change). The Capital Police are used to it and very nice about it. They barely bat an eye.

I have taken off work for the day.
:what::what:Is that open carry of handguns or open carry of long guns as well?:what::what:

bohdi

imported post

I'm in, cleared it with the powers that be. I'll either be riding with Agent, driving with Agent, or some other form of transportation. I may be bringing my Father in Law as well if I can get him interested. What time do the festivities begin?

Bubba Ron

imported post

I'll be there again this year and Jean said she'd like to attend as well. That would leave room for two leaving the Tidewater area early that Monday morning.

IanB

imported post

I have room for two leaving from Annandale. Parking available at my place. If you are in NoVA and want to carpool drop me a PM. Based on last years VA-Alert we will meet in Richmond @ 9am. So, I'll be leaving at 7am SHARP.

Last years alert:

Mark your calendars! VCDL is having its "Lobby Day" on Martin Luther King day, Monday, January 16th. We will meet in the lobby of the General Assembly Building at 9 AM. After passing through the metal detectors (only CHP holders can carry in the building currently), turn left and we will be assembling in close proximity to the metal detector area. There should be people there with "Guns Save Lives" badges. If you come late, just keep an eye out for people wearing those badges as you are in the building. If you have never done this before don't worry. You will be briefed on protocol and what the important bills are that you need to discuss with your representatives, then we will break into groups. Each group will visit the legislators for the people in that group. This is a great way to get VCDLs message across to all the Delegates and Senators. You will learn a lot about the functioning of government and will have helped us move the ball forward. If you wish to help in other ways, like distributing some documents that I will have with me, let me know. You should dress 'business casual." As usual the anti's can't get it right to save their souls. They also are planning on lobbying that day. In an email message they said that it was a fitting day because MLK was against violence -- implying that by opposing their victim disarmament agenda that gun owners support violence. I would like to point out that MLK had armed Deacons, who of course are just normal citizens, providing security for him! Indeed we are lobbying to protect the very right that those Deacons exercised back in the 1960's.

longwatch

imported post

Definite +1 one on carpooling. One parking is limited and expensive, two road trips are fun. I'll probably have space for 2-3 people, but I'll wait until after the new year to finalize plans.

longwatch

imported post

Most of the action is done by early afternoon so you can probably do both. Occasionally there is an evening subcommittee meeting though.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I've been to at least a couple of these events. (I lose count, as I've been there for other gun rights stuff too.)

In addition to being good for the cause, these events are very educational, interesting, and even kinda fun.

I don't yet know if I can go, but I certainly recommend participating if you can.

Mr. Y

Super Secret Squirrel Bunker, Virginia, USA
imported post

Now that we have a lot of handles agreeing that this is a good idea, I'd like to propose the following:

All of you reading this try to recruit just one person - neighbor, cousin, Fedex / UPS driver ( You know when they call you to coordinate your ammo drop off vs. their holiday schedule you'rean important customer :celebrate) sibling, parent, child whatever...

I'll start the ball rolling: Mr & Mrs Y in for at least one neighbor.

IanB

imported post

Most of my neighbors shouldn't be in this country in the first place.