• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Non-Res Permits?

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Does WI offer a non-resident permit? I do travel up there quite often, and I see they do not recognize a permit from anywhere else. I didn't know WI was this tough on their firearms laws.

Anyone know?

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Permit for what?

Concealed carry is explicitly prohibited.

Open carry is not mentioned in State Statutes but every level of law enforcement and jurisdiction, if not every jurisdiction, has made it known that open carry will subject one to harrassment under color of law - charges of disorderly conduct, inciting terrorism et cetera.

smithman

imported post

The whole idea that a person should be subject to Disorderly conduct charges for exercising his or her rights in public THE ONLY WAY THEY CAN (i.e. open carry on their person) is such a load of BS it is hard to fathom.

It is a sad time in Wisconsin for gun owners wishing to exercise their rights and protect themselves and their families.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

I credit it to the strangle-hold of the leftist-lamestream media on the news. Admittedly I am isolated and an isolated case but NO ONE here knows of or speaks of the recent gun related state news.

I mentioned petitioning Door Co. to explicitly recognize the Right to open carry at a recent Am. Legion meeting. The Commander is amenable but the peanut gallery scoffed sotto voce about me strappin' on my .45 and struttin' town (one was the most active FFL!).

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Is it that bad state-wide? I guess I would be OC then, would probably try it with a different rig then usually, considering harassment is to be expected...

I usually stay very far north in the state, so that is why I am wondering if the view is shared statewide...

Thanks.

Brigdh

imported post

Writing this quick between study sessions...

Milwaukee area is renowned to be the worst area. I have no personal experence, but shotgun has had some positive experences in the Madison area. Word of mouth is, the north parts of the state (more rural) are cool with OC.

An important ruling in the WI supreme court is the Hamdan case. The basics of it is that OC is perfectally legal because CC is illegal.

Hope this helps some.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Thanks for the heads up.

I frequent the Minoqua area a couple times a year, sometimes less, but usually for a week at a time.

It is pretty far north in the state.