Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Backup?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    30

    Post imported post

    So does anybody know if a backup gun has to be OC'd or can you CC it without a permit as long as your primary is showing? I'de like to have a small .38 incase some loony toon tries to get ahold of what I'm really carrying.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Centennial, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    1,412

    Post imported post

    IANA(Delaware)L, but I think it would be safe to assumue that "no CC without a permit" means "no CC without a permit, even if your other arms are showing". Think about it if you turn it around. If you were in an area where OC is illegal but CC with a permit is (Denver), would it be legal to OC a BUG if your other gun was concealed?

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    30

    Post imported post

    Good point. GRRRR.

  4. #4
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,612

    Post imported post

    hobobrent wrote:
    So does anybody know if a backup gun has to be OC'd or can you CC it without a permit as long as your primary is showing? I'de like to have a small .38 incase some loony toon tries to get ahold of what I'm really carrying.
    Ignor the fact that you have an OC weapon and simply ask yourself are you CCing your backup gun (BUG) - the answer to your question become obvious - you would be concealing it; thereby creating certain unpleasant possibilities.

    Why not get your permit? Then you can OC your primary and CC a BUG.
    Works in Va. within our statute limitations.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  5. #5
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bear, Delaware, USA
    Posts
    1,241

    Post imported post

    Grapeshot wrote:
    Why not get your permit?
    Permit process in Delaware costs over $400.

  6. #6
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,612

    Post imported post

    I obviously am not fully cognizant of the Delaware laws.
    I do know that you are a "may issue" state not a "shall issue" and I am somewhat aware of the arcane processes required in applying for a CWP.
    ....but $400.00!!! I thought that the application fee was only $34.50!
    Of course there is the newspaper "ad" and pass port photo.

    P.S. Isn't Delaware the Free State? :what:

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  7. #7
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bear, Delaware, USA
    Posts
    1,241

    Post imported post

    Grapeshot wrote:
    I obviously am not fully cognizant of the Delaware laws.
    I do know that you are a "may issue" state not a "shall issue" and I am somewhat aware of the arcane processes required in applying for a CWP.
    ....but $400.00!!! I thought that the application fee was only $34.50!
    Of course there is the newspaper "ad" and pass port photo.

    P.S. Isn't Delaware the Free State? :what:

    Yata hey
    Required 10hr training course: $225-$250
    Newspaper ad and notorized proof: $72
    Fingerprint & Background Check: $69
    Passport Photos: $14.99
    Application Fee: $34.50
    Knowing you can be turned down for no reason at all: Priceless.

    And we're 'The First State' to ratify the Constitution.

  8. #8
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,612

    Post imported post

    "Free" vs "First" State- of course! :?

    It looks like the Delaware CHP process has been structured so that only the landed gentry can afford it and I am sure the good old buddy system (friends in high places) is alive and well. Would I be correct in guessing that they (the powers that be), look for a reason to turn down an applicantion rather than to approve it?

    At one time Virginia's application fee was $500.00 but the threat of a discrimination suit and pressure on our legislators brought about the $50.00/5 yr fee (including fingerprints) we now enjoy. The firearms training requirement can be satisfied in several ways: fee paid class, hunter safety course or military service. There are really no other hoops to jump through either.

    I used to goose hunt on Bombay Hook near Smyrna and always enjoyed the trip.
    Good luck in getting your CHP process changed - I'm sure that it won't be easy.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    30

    Post imported post

    Also, I'm just old enough to fight and die for the country but not old enough to be armed without everybody knowing it. . I'm taking a few firearms courses this january to satisfy my requirements once I am of age, and also to get a little edjumukayshun.

  10. #10
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bear, Delaware, USA
    Posts
    1,241

    Post imported post

    Grapeshot wrote:
    "Free" vs "First" State- of course! :?

    It looks like the Delaware CHP process has been structured so that only the landed gentry can afford it and I am sure the good old buddy system (friends in high places) is alive and well. Would I be correct in guessing that they (the powers that be), look for a reason to turn down an applicantion rather than to approve it?

    At one time Virginia's application fee was $500.00 but the threat of a discrimination suit and pressure on our legislators brought about the $50.00/5 yr fee (including fingerprints) we now enjoy. The firearms training requirement can be satisfied in several ways: fee paid class, hunter safety course or military service. There are really no other hoops to jump through either.

    I used to goose hunt on Bombay Hook near Smyrna and always enjoyed the trip.
    Good luck in getting your CHP process changed - I'm sure that it won't be easy.

    Yata hey
    Correct, it's a MAY ISSUE state. There was legislation to change CC to a MAY ISSUE but, GET THIS... The AG at the time argued against it saying that anyone could legally open carry and this was, logically, more of a deterent to criminals.

    But open carry is very, very, very rare in Delaware so, of course, we'd get persecuted by officials, I'm sure.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Claymont, Delaware, USA
    Posts
    191

    Post imported post

    Cost isn't all that different from some of the 'shall issue' states. There are also less restrictions on where you can carry. We can carry at the mall in church and banks. Several states the passed 'shall issue' laws had to succumb to pressures from many groups just to get their laws passed.

    Largest cost is for the gun safety classes. And our neighbor states of Maryland and New Jersey don't allow CCW at all.

    Even though it's a "may issue" state, more and more people are getting their permits every day. Haven't heard of anyone NOT getting their permit. It just takes a long time to complete every requirment.

    Told my brother I got my permit when I saw him thanksgiving and he was surprised.:shock:
    Many people beleve that you can only get a permit if your job requires it, you have friends in high places or related to someone important.
    Even though the laws haven't changed the state seldom turns down anyone that can jump through the hoops. And they aren't very quick about it. But it can and is being done quite frequently.

    After getting my DE CCW I used it to get a non resident permit from PA. Now that was quick and painless. For a BLUE state PA is very easy to get a permit. Just fill out the application and give them $35 for 5 years. Just don't go to Delaware County. I filled out an application from Centre County( dowmloaded the form) and sent them the money. Took about 3 weeks.

  12. #12
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bear, Delaware, USA
    Posts
    1,241

    Post imported post

    stephpd wrote:
    Cost isn't all that different from some of the 'shall issue' states. There are also less restrictions on where you can carry. We can carry at the mall in church and banks. Several states the passed 'shall issue' laws had to succumb to pressures from many groups just to get their laws passed.

    Largest cost is for the gun safety classes. And our neighbor states of Maryland and New Jersey don't allow CCW at all.
    Jersey and Maryland do -- NJ actually has a statutory time limit in which the application needs to be processed, but it's very, very difficult to get one... near impossible for a non-resident NJ permit. Maryland does allow CCW as well, but it's is seriously at the 'whim of the official' to which the application has been made.

    Costs, though -- most states are in the sub-$100 to $200 range... especially the ones that don't require training. I haven't seen too many that are over $400, like Delaware, for the entire process.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Claymont, Delaware, USA
    Posts
    191

    Post imported post

    Lots of hoops to go through to get it in this state for sure. At least after getting the permit it's just the renewal fee. Got a non-resedent permit for PA. $35 for 5 years. Did everything through the mail. Downloaded the form from handgunlaws.us

    Got family in PA and live less than a mile from the state line. NJ and Maryland are a lost cause.

    New York as well as other states even want you to list(up to 3) the guns you can or will carry. Don't have that problem here.The permit says 'Unresricted'

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •