• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can I open carry rifle/shotgun in Kentucky?

suburbangunslinger

imported post

Greetings from the People's Republic of Illinois where all Gun-Owners are treated like dirt and Gangters like Kings! I know much about Illinois gun laws and I am disgusted with the way my Government treats people like me, they have not even signed the budget in this Hell-Hole! Anyway let me get to the point, Can I open carry my Bushmaster M4A3 in Kentucky? I know I can get away with a handgun, but can I Open Carry with a rifle or shotgun? I don't carry about the damn soccer moms by the way, I'd love to Open Carry while outside Illinois.

BIG E

imported post

I hope your kidding. I am from KY and I have to say that if you plan on carrying your BM or shottie then it's better if you stay home.

The idea of OC is for self defense not to scare everyone around you. There is no reason to carry such a weapon and if you do you will have troubles here.

If you want to OC then holster up your sidearm and leave the shottie at home.

TrueBrit

imported post

BIG E wrote:
I hope your kidding. I am from KY and I have to say that if you plan on carrying your BM or shottie then it's better if you stay home.

The idea of OC is for self defense not to scare everyone around you. There is no reason to carry such a weapon and if you do you will have troubles here.

If you want to OC then holster up your sidearm and leave the shottie at home.

I agree completely with Big E, such open carry would cause you much grief!

Holstered handgun, fine, but it would not be a good idea to OC such a rifle, IMHO.

The only time that I have seen and practised OC of a long gun in KY was at Court Days in Mount Sterling, where, among other things, firearms are traded, bought and sold. Hard to justify otherwise, I believe.

BTW, welcome to OCDO, gentlemen!

TrueBrit.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

We don't track OC of long guns in our OCDO database, in part because (1) states generally are less restrictive on long gun carry as compared to handgun carry, and (2) b/c log guns are less suitable for daily carry due to muzzle control and trigger guard issues, particulalry in 3 dimensional urban settings.