• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gov Rendell pushing to remove State Pre-emption....

Secrettrance

Founder's Club Member
imported post

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-rendellgun1116,0,722039.story?coll=all_tab01_layout

Rendell: Time for tougher gun laws Governor, angered by Philly violence, urges House to act. By John L. Micek |Call Harrisburg Bureau9:31 PM EST, November 16, 2007
HARRISBURG - Red-faced and through clenched teeth, Gov. Ed Rendell on Friday decried the epidemic of gun violence sweeping Philadelphia and called on state House lawmakers to swiftly pass stalled gun control legislation.

"We have a problem. Houston, we have a problem. And we'd better do something about it," Rendell said, swatting his lectern.

As of Thursday, 353 Philadelphia residents had lost their lives to gun violence this yearRendell's public display of anger came just a few days before he is to address the House Judiciary Committee on three bills he says would help reduce gun violence.

At Rendell's request, Judiciary Committee Chairman Thomas Caltagirone, D-Berks, will bring up the bills for a vote Tuesday after the governor speaks.

Rendell told reporters Friday he knows he's putting his prestige on the line by appearing before the committee. He said Caltagirone had even tried to warn him off because a successful vote isn't guaranteed.

"This is not a game. It doesn't matter if I succeed or fail [politically]," he said. "But it does matter to the people in blue."

Rendell renewed his call for tougher gun laws last week after a string of police shootings in his hometown of Philadelphia. One was fatal -- officer Chuck Cassidy was shot in the head when he walked in on a doughnut shop robbery on Oct. 31 and died the next day.

The suspect in Cassidy's shooting, John Lewis, 21, of Philadelphia, has been held in Lehigh County Prison since last Saturday.

Rendell has been pushing since the beginning of his administration to curb gun violence in the state, with little success. Similar versions of all three bills were rejected by lawmakers during the last legislative session.

Rendell and mayors from across the state, including Allentown's Ed Pawlowski, have said the proposals would help take the guns out of the hands of criminals.

But opponents, including the National Rifle Association, have argued that tougher enforcement of existing laws, not new ones, would help staunch the bloodshed. Rendell rejected that argument Friday.

"Don't tell me that enforcement is the root of the problem," he growled. "That's just propaganda that's untrue. Our prisons are bulging."

One of the bills before the Judiciary Committee would require gun owners to report lost and stolen weapons and create a state police database to track them. Panel members defeated it on a 17-11 vote last fall, with the support of five of Rendell's fellow Democrats.

Another bill would limit state residents to the purchase of one handgun per month.

The third would allow Philadelphia and other counties and municipalities to write their own gun laws -- if local voters approve. Now, only the Legislature can write those laws.

The Associated Press contributed to this story.

imperialism2024

imported post

Stupidity, utter stupidity. What is this state turning into? First, King Edward decrees that Pennsylvanians shalt pay a travel tax to travel anywhere in the state. Now, His Majesty is attempting to decree that handguns be all but banned.

It's a shame the 5th of November has already passed...

Neobayer

imported post

fixed -LW
By neobayer at 2007-11-19

Attachments

• rendellcarrylics2smallonredactedssn.jpg
    rendellcarrylics2smallonredactedssn.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 467

Secrettrance

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Neobayer wrote:
moz-screenshot.jpg

By neobayer at 2007-11-19

?????? point... I'm sure he wont be loosing his, not that he needs them with his security detail.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I disagree with posting his Social Security Number.

Not only does he not deserve problems arising from itsdisclosure; Mike and Mr. Pierce the forum founders don'tdeserve the potential headaches associated with this.

In fact Mike is a privacy advocate who works hard tolessen the availability of Social Security numbers.

Please remove the SSN, and re-post.

Sitrep

imported post

Well, obviously the first law would help, because then criminals could check their guns against the database and turn in any that are stolen.:banghead:

The second law would help by limiting the criminals to legaly purchasing only 1 gun per month. That will help because a criminal need more than 1 gun to commit a crime, right? So they will have to take a month off everytime they throw away a gun that they use in a crime.:banghead:

The third law will be helpfull, because each city can then just keep enacting new gun laws. Something they like to do cause it makes them look tough on crime while they don't actually do anything usefull.:banghead:

imperialism2024

imported post

Citizen wrote:

Not only does he not deserve problems arising from itsdisclosure; Mike and Mr. Pierce the forum founders don'tdeserve the potential headaches associated with this.

In fact Mike is a privacy advocate who works hard tolessen the availability of Social Security numbers.

While I see your point... Rendell is a criminal of the highest degree. Placing another person's life in grave danger is worth at least a misdemeanor. Placing 12 million lives in danger is certainly something much more severe than that. And while I normally reserve just harsh judgement against criminals, Rendell has made public his misdeeds enough to eliminate any doubts in my mind.

just a guy with a Glock

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Citizen wrote:

While I see your point... Rendell is a criminal of the highest degree. Placing another person's life in grave danger is worth at least a misdemeanor. Placing 12 million lives in danger is certainly something much more severe than that. And while I normally reserve just harsh judgement against criminals, Rendell has made public his misdeeds enough to eliminate any doubts in my mind.
Some States have laws preventing unauthorized disclosure or dissemination of social security numbers. You are crazy to post the Governor's SS # on a pro-gun board of all places. He could have the State Police Bureau of Investigation (from your State)at your door with a phone call. You are playing with fire and it doesn't serve our cause very well.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

just a guy, with a Glock wrote:
Some States have laws preventing unauthorized disclosure or dissemination of social security numbers. You are crazy to post the Governor's SS # on a pro-gun board of all places. He could have the State Police Bureau of Investigation (from your State)at your door with a phone call. You are playing with fire and it doesn't serve our cause very well.
So far the courts have held such laws invalid under the First Amendment, but only if the SSN is part of a public record.

"Moreover, once the government places personal identifying information in
the public domain, reliance must rest on the judgment of those who decide
what to publish or broadcast." Sheehan v. Gregoire, 272 F.Supp.2d 1135,
1149 (W.D.Wash. 2003) (citing The Florida Star v. B.J.F., 491 U.S. 524
(1989)).

But in any event, don't post people's SSNs here on this site - go pay for your own site to do weird stuff like that. then again, don;t do that either - you will just hurt our cause be reported by the press as a gun guy conducting himself aberrantly and with malice, just like those idiots unfurling the banner to hang a legislator at the PA Capitol rally last year.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Citizen wrote:

What about the guv's address? Is that a home address?

As I recall, there was a big hubbub about theRoanoke Times publishing online access to all VA CWL holder info, including addresses.

That was oh-so-baddddddd when the Pilot released those data. Who was the reporter.....Christian...Trejbal...something....like that. He was excoriated here for doing it.

Two sets of rules....one for them....one for us....use whichever one feels good...whichever set of rules is....politically correct.

imperialism2024

imported post

I'm thinking his height and weight should also be blotted out. It may cause him undue embarassment to have people know that he is 5'11" and weighs 254lbs. Can't have someone on this bored making a bad name for all OCers by embarassing a criminal politician...

just a guy with a Glock

imported post

Mike wrote:
So far the courts have held such laws invalid under the First Amendment, but only if the SSN is part of a public record.

"Moreover, once the government places personal identifying information in
the public domain, reliance must rest on the judgment of those who decide
what to publish or broadcast." Sheehan v. Gregoire, 272 F.Supp.2d 1135,
1149 (W.D.Wash. 2003) (citing The Florida Star v. B.J.F., 491 U.S. 524
(1989)).

But in any event, don't post people's SSNs here on this site - go pay for your own site to do weird stuff like that. then again, don;t do that either - you will just hurt our cause be reported by the press as a gun guy conducting himself aberrantly and with malice, just like those idiots unfurling the banner to hang a legislator at the PA Capitol rally last year.
Posting someones social security number on the internet could and has been successfully addressed in simple tort actions. In any case the Governor's office has been notified of the post.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SNIP In any case the Governor's office has been notified of the post.

OK. We're all ears.

How did he get notified?

How did you find out about it?

I'm not suspicious of you. I'm just very curious who did the notifying and how it came to you.

just a guy with a Glock

imported post

Citizen wrote:
SNIP In any case the Governor's office has been notified of the post.

OK. We're all ears.

How did he get notified?

How did you find out about it?

I'm not suspicious of you. I'm just very curious who did the notifying and how it came to you.

Let's just say thatthe Pennsylvania State Police have notified him. Hint: this site is being monitored folks. If you are going to post a SS # be prepared forsubstantial investigative resources to be directed your way.

I hope this doesn't occur again.We can debate, argue and learn here but it should end there. Using the internet as a weapon to attack the finances of the Governor is unacceptable.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

This thread is closed!!! :cuss:

Making a point of stating that someone has a permit to carry while pushing laws that would restrict the rights of others is fine, but posting his SSN and other personal information is NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!

As OpenCarry.org continues to grow and be more and more visible as a voice for gun owners, We need to uphold a standard of conduct that shows all who visit here that we do not match the stereotypes that we are so often branded with. Stunts like this harm our cause greatly!