• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Boston, MA - Police to search for guns in homes

FogRider

imported post

and ask the teenager's parent or legal guardian for permission to search. If the parents say no, police said, the officers will leave.

If officers find a gun, police said, they will not charge the teenager with unlawful gun possession, unless the firearm is linked to a shooting or homicide.
Can't say I am seeing anything wrong with this, as long as it proceeds as stated in the article.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

FogRider wrote:
and ask the teenager's parent or legal guardian for permission to search. If the parents say no, police said, the officers will leave.

If officers find a gun, police said, they will not charge the teenager with unlawful gun possession, unless the firearm is linked to a shooting or homicide.
Can't say I am seeing anything wrong with this, as long as it proceeds as stated in the article.
What!?! You can't see anything wrong with this...

Legally, if the parents consent it is perfectly fine...

However, lets say that the teen/youth purchased a gun, and it had been used in a homicide, in the past, the youth unknowing purchased said firearm anyway...

You can bet that this will cause trouble for the family...

Secondly, what if the officers find something else in the room? Drugs? Stolen property? Something else? Will the teen get charged for that.

What happened to responsible parents...? If the parents are that worried about their children, THEY need to be taking the initiative and looking when their kids are at school, and if that means they need to take a day off of work, so be it.

You can also bet that these police will be very persuasive in the approach to parents, either through intimidation, or trying to befriend the parents.

Alternatively, I would not have a problem with the police having a workshop for parents to attend on how to look for signs your child has a gun, or even how to search for a gun in your home.

I see too many problems with voluntarily consenting to a search without a warrant. If you don't know you kid has a gun, what else could they turn up in a search?

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

However, lets say that the teen/youth purchased a gun, and it had been used in a homicide, in the past, the youth unknowing purchased said firearm anyway...

Secondly, what if the officers find something else in the room? Drugs? Stolen property? Something else? Will the teen get charged for that.

What happened to responsible parents...? If the parents are that worried about their children, THEY need to be taking the initiative and looking when their kids are at school, and if that means they need to take a day off of work, so be it.

You can also bet that these police will be very persuasive in the approach to parents, either through intimidation, or trying to befriend the parents.

Alternatively, I would not have a problem with the police having a workshop for parents to attend on how to look for signs your child has a gun, or even how to search for a gun in your home.

I see too many problems with voluntarily consenting to a search without a warrant. If you don't know you kid has a gun, what else could they turn up in a search?

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

First they came for illegal guns,

And I said nothing

because mine were legal.

Then they came for assault guns,

And I said nothing

because mine were not that kind.

Then they came for wheel guns,

And I said nothing

because I carry a 1911.

Then they came for the rest of the guns,

And I could do nothing

because there were no guns left to defend us.

medicff0879

imported post

I think these people need to have their houses searched for weapons, most of them are non contributing members of society and their offspring is the main reason the rest of us have to carry to protect ourselves in the first place.

Then again, dont we all love the idea of another little criminal being locked behind bars to add to the burden of our overcrowded prison system because the search yields the untold amounts of drugs which in turn sparks the violence, which in turn puts the guns to use!!

Tougher penalties on criminals that scares them into NOT wanting to commit a crime in the first place.

Legba

imported post

I hate that "if you don't have anything to hide, then why wouldn't you consent to a search?" bit. It's called freedom. The next time the police ask if you have a particular reason for refusing permission to conduct a search, say "yes, the 4th amendment" without further explanation.

-ljp

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

openryan wrote:

+1

AbNo

imported post

Legba wrote:
I hate that "if you don't have anything to hide, then why wouldn't you consent to a search?" bit.  It's called freedom.  The next time the police ask if you have a particular reason for refusing permission to conduct a search, say "yes, the 4th amendment" without further explanation.

-ljp

I'd just ask him if I could search his house, personally, since he shouldn't have anything to hide.

That being said, I'm not entirely surprised that Boston is suggesting, allowing or performing this.

imperialism2024

imported post

medicff0879 wrote:
I think these people need to have their houses searched for weapons, most of them are non contributing members of society and their offspring is the main reason the rest of us have to carry to protect ourselves in the first place.

Then again, dont we all love the idea of another little criminal being locked behind bars to add to the burden of our overcrowded prison system because the search yields the untold amounts of drugs which in turn sparks the violence, which in turn puts the guns to use!!

Tougher penalties on criminals that scares them into NOT wanting to commit a crime in the first place.
I'm getting a racially-motivated vibe from that first paragraph, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Please define who "these people" are, then. Poor people? Inner-city residents? Some other group?

I'd like you to cite where drugs spark violence. If you put a trip of acid or a rock of crack on a table in a room, is it going to start making anyone steal? Kill people? Nope, it's just gonna sit there... like a gun. And, like guns, drugs' effects are determined by the people who use them. Just like how some people can use a gun improperly and irresponsibly, so can people misuse drugs.

You don't seem too big of a fan of constitutional rights, so I won't bother with that.

As I've said before, I also have problems with how a teenager cannot have a legitimate purpose for a gun. Quite frankly, I'd commend a "kid" who keeps and carries a gun for defense rather than just being one of the sh**ple who believes that the police will protect them.

:uhoh: