• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Belts. What do you wear?

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

I guess as someone who never tried a "gun belt" I didn't think that it could make that big of a difference. I am officially convinced. I will be purchasing a proper gunbelt tomorrow.

TEX1N

imported post

DreQo wrote:
swatpro911 wrote:
if you guys want to know whats proven in the battlefield then here it goes: Propper,5.11, Blackhawk, Galco miami classic, Serpa, blade tek etc
What are you talking about?! (did swatpro always talk like this???)
LOL...yes! It's kind of funny because opsgear also talks like that ;)

jimwyant

imported post

I use a Bianchi Accumold 7202 nylon 1.75" belt. It is a thick, duty-type belt, but I carry either a Ruger Alaskan (nearly 3 pounds loaded) or G20 (2 1/2 pounds), so I need the extra strength. No leather belt I've tried, even double-layer, comes close. The plastic buckle gives it away as a non-traditional belt, and may be a bit on the "tacti-cool" side for some, but when worn inside the belt loops, it looks reasonably normal to me. Some holsters and belt loops only accomodate up to a 1.5" belt, so keep that in mind.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I have been wearing a 1 1/2 in wide standard leather belt for at least 10 years. I carry a revolver plus holster weighing about 18 oz. Don't know that I even notice that I have it on. It's that comfortable.

I have found that the width is more important, not the stiffness.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

TEX1N wrote:
DreQo wrote:
swatpro911 wrote:
if you guys want to know whats proven in the battlefield then here it goes: Propper,5.11, Blackhawk, Galco miami classic, Serpa, blade tek etc
What are you talking about?! (did swatpro always talk like this???)
LOL...yes! It's kind of funny because opsgear also talks like that ;)

I really remember seeing swatpro say that he was opsgear, too...wouldn't surprise me in the least. He kinda reminds me of a harmless version of Hank..

EDIT: YEP HERE IT IS!:
I like your drop leg holster, and surefire the best light ever. Opsgear is Swatpro911 I didnt use the account for awhile

UTOC-45-44

imported post

color of law wrote:
I have been wearing a 1 1/2 in wide standard leather belt for at least 10 years. I carry a revolver plus holster weighing about 18 oz. Don't know that I even notice that I have it on. It's that comfortable.

"I have found that the width is more important, not the stiffness. "

:shock:I'm gonna leave this on ALONE. I'm gonna try to bite my tongue and NOT say ANYTHING:lol:. NO I WON'T:cuss:....

.....:lol:

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
color of law wrote:

"I have found that the width is more important, not the stiffness. "

:shock:I'm gonna leave this on ALONE. I'm gonna try to bite my tongue and NOT say ANYTHING:lol:. NO I WON'T:cuss:....

.....:lol:

.... ... ... ... So true Color of law!

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

BIG E

imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
I'm sure we've had some threads on it here; I know it's been discussed at length on other forums I belong to.

I use a dedicated belt from http://www.thebeltman.net - and am about to buy another from him. I could never get a good fit even from the thick department store belt I originally used. I love this belt - my holster does not shift at all when wearing it. (I use either a Milt Sparks VMII IWB or a Serpa OWB)

A good gunbelt will be constructed of two layers of leather with the grain alternating. This creates good stiffness and prevents stretching. I believe the stiffness is more important.

A friend at work finally ordered a good gunbelt after having his CCW for a while. It came in a few weeks ago and he told me" I did'nt believe it would make such a difference - it's amazing how much better this is. I'm glad I listened to you".

I consider the belt to be the thing that holds your entire defense system together. You're carrying a sidearm that cost you anywhere from several hundred to over a thousand dollars, a holster that may have cost over a hundred, premium ammo... and hanging it all on a seven dollar belt from Wally World? I too was hesitant to spent close to ninety dollars on a belt - but it has enhanced my carry experience immeasurably. Eat at home a few nights this month and spend the money on a good belt instead - you'll thank yourself.

+1 on The Belt Man belts. Have one and wear it daily. Love it.

TEX1N

imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
I use a dedicated belt from http://www.thebeltman.net - and am about to buy another from him. I could never get a good fit even from the thick department store belt I originally used. I love this belt - my holster does not shift at all when wearing it. (I use either a Milt Sparks VMII IWB or a Serpa OWB)
I was thinking about buying a belt from thebeltman. Has anyone ever had any problems with the buckle holes stretching on his belts? So far I have just carried with nicer non-gun belts, and the problem I normally have is that the buckle holes stretch on me.

BIG E

imported post

TEX1N wrote:
zoom6zoom wrote:
I was thinking about buying a belt from thebeltman. Has anyone ever had any problems with the buckle holes stretching on his belts? So far I have just carried with nicer non-gun belts, and the problem I normally have is that the buckle holes stretch on me.

No problems. I have had one for a year and wear it daily. My EDC is heavy and I have had no problems.

Remember, there is a right and wrong way to treat and belt. Do not bend it to pull it tight. It loosens the leather. Beltman has all the info.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

I used one of the double-thick/tapered dress belts from concealed carry... The end tapers down to a single layer of leather, but after the belt holes, it transitions into double thickness.

Before I used a standed wide dressbelt and, after a few weeks, it began to bend, so I picked this up and am very happy with how sturdy it is:

belt_dress.gif

utahxd9

imported post

I just bought a 5.11 Trainer belt http://511tactical.com/index.asp?dept=61&number=59409 it is thick nylon 1-1/2" wide very stiff, I have been wearing it for 4 days now & can't believe the difference. It is so much more comfortable to carry oc or cc w/a good belt. I will never go back to my wally world belt. I highly reccomend a switch for those of you using regular belts. You don't have to spend $50-100, you can find a good belt for a decent price just do some shopping. Cabelas.com has some great belts at good prices.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

2 weeks with 5.11 tactical leather belts. Amazing difference. Don't have to over tighten the belt to keep everything in place. I literally forget that I am carrying now as the gun doesn't shift around. I never expected it to make so much difference.

spurrit

imported post

I went to the saddle shop and had one made for $20. It's a damn sight tougher than anything commercially available. Has enough body to hold my holster where I want it.

No NAU

imported post

I've been using a Liger Gun Belt for about 4 months now and it holds everything right where it should very well. The Liger will not "roll." I've used it with IWB, OWB and clip on holsters both OC and CC. Seems pretty much indestructible. It looks like leather. I got the black belt with black buckle. I wish I would have got the stainless buckle though as the black buckle has scratched a little. It was spendy at about $70 but I looked at it as lasting at least 10 years if not forever so not a bad price.

RU98A

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have worn one of these gunbelts in black shark everyday for the last 2 years and it still looks like new. It has not stretched or gotten so soft as to letyour holster roll over. If you have never tried a gunbelt made for carrying a gun you have missed out. They also make great holsters.

http://raftersgunleather.com/Belts.htm

eyesopened

imported post

ARod wrote:
Black Galco cop series!! Its been through hell and back with me!!! not even interested in trying anything else!!
I use one of these too. Only issue I have is that if I wear it with dress slacks, it can be too thick at the very end because of the small belt loops.