• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing in the bank??

akhunter3

imported post

Hey guys,

Talking to a couple guys on another forum over the legality of OCing in the various banks/Credit unions around town.

I know you can't carry into the post office due to it being "Federal"

Does this apply to places such as Alaska USA FEDERAL CREDIT UNION??

Anyone ever double-checked this with a LEO?

Thanks,

Jon

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Carry in such places may be prohibited by state law, but there is NO Federal law against it.

That "Federal" credit union is not owned by a government entity - it is a private entity just like any other business.

Edited to add - asking a police officer gives you ZEROdegree of assuredness of the accuracy of the answer. Believe me, I've got plenty of stories to tell.

LKB3rd

imported post

Federal express is not a federal building and neither is the federal reserve... If you find out for sure it is just a name for their bank, it is not federal either would be my guess.

I know a guy who insists (incorrectly) that all banks are federal buildings.

just a guy with a Glock

imported post

akhunter3 wrote:
Hey guys,

Talking to a couple guys on another forum over the legality of OCing in the various banks/Credit unions around town.

I know you can't carry into the post office due to it being "Federal"

Does this apply to places such as Alaska USA FEDERAL CREDIT UNION??

Anyone ever double-checked this with a LEO?

Thanks,

Jon
Don't ask police officers about law, they don't have a clue. Research your State Statues & Town or city ordinances. There is no Federal law. You can also write your State Attorney General and ask him or a local attorney (although many attorneys give out bogus answers on gun laws all the time).

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Does Alaska have a RKBA organization? I'd contact them if you want further assurance that banks, credit unions, etc.are NOT off limits by Federal law.

Baradium

imported post

BB62 wrote:
Does Alaska have a RKBA organization? I'd contact them if you want further assurance that banks, credit unions, etc.are NOT off limits by Federal law.
From your post above, it sure sounds like you are quite confident that they are not off limits. You'll note that Federal law generally doesn't deal with private entities with regard to firearms.

Furthermore, all these areas that ARE restricted by federal law are posted. You'll notice that the post office (which IS restricted by federal law) has a sign prohibiting firearms while your local Wells Fargo does not.

Additionally, private entities can still restrict firearms in Alaska. I only know of a single store in Fairbanks that is posted (a cell phone shop off of airport way).

I don't recall ever seeing any references regarding banks when I did my searching into gun laws when I initially moved up here. I'm not a lawyer, but I satisfied myself that I wouldn't be violating any law if I carried into a bank.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Baradium wrote:
BB62 wrote:
From your post above, it sure sounds like you are quite confident that they are not off limits.
Just to be clear - notonly am I confident - I am positive.

Misguided Child

imported post

Excuse me for poking my nose in here, not much happening in the WA state forums. The "Federal" in any banks name only refers to them being in the federal reserve system, which regulates how they do business. ICC all the time in the bank and have never had a problem, it's legal. (despite hearing a clerk at the local sheriff office tell someone it wasn't).

But you really have me wondering about the Post Office, I CC there too and would've OC'd before you brought this up. WA state laws mention the federal property and control around airports but don't say anything about Post Offices. Are you sure they are Federal property? I thought they were semi-privatized a while back.

Alan

LKB3rd

imported post

Post offices all have signs forbidding firearms around here. That still doesn't answeryour question of whether is is a simple trespass on private property(if they are privatized like you are asking) or a federal offense.

akhunter3

imported post

Did some research and found that they were semi-privatized. While this doesn't answer the question of whether or not the building is federal property, it does shed a little light on the federal status of USPS.

"The United States Postal Service® is an independent establishment of the Executive Branch of the United States Government. It operates in a businesslike way." -http://www.usps.com/postalhistory/welcome.htm

as for whether or not they are federal property, I haven't found anything to that effect as of yet.

Edit: Wiki says that the fleet of vehicles are privately maintained, so I would assume that the buildings would be also?

Jon

Baradium

imported post

akhunter3 wrote:
Did some research and found that they were semi-privatized. While this doesn't answer the question of whether or not the building is federal property, it does shed a little light on the federal status of USPS.

"The United States Postal Service® is an independent establishment of the Executive Branch of the United States Government. It operates in a businesslike way." -http://www.usps.com/postalhistory/welcome.htm

as for whether or not they are federal property, I haven't found anything to that effect as of yet.

Edit: Wiki says that the fleet of vehicles are privately maintained, so I would assume that the buildings would be also?

Jon
Privately maintained and privately owned are two different things. Privately maintained just means that contractors do it. It says they are an establishment of the Executive Branch. keeps it a government entity.

sccrref

imported post

You might consider asking the Postmaster the next time you are in the Post office. I would be willing to bet that he/she would know if they are private or federal. I would not mention why at first or if at all. Just tell them inquinrinf mind wants to know.

cmg266

imported post

this is a pretty simple answer. Just because FedEx, also known as Federal express, has federal in its title does NOT mean its federally run. I'm not saying that its ok, but you see my point I hope.